Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Visually, I think it looked better a year ago.

But they did say at that time that was beta (though they also said it would be sent out OTA in a few months)

Less than 2 weeks ago (9/23) Elon said AP would ship in one month, so he believes it's very close now as well.

I think we're at the point of wysiwyg. What you see is what you get. Beta V1 and V2 and the model X all look the same. Why would one think the final one will be any different.

Probably a 7.1 or 8.0 might bring back items if enough people complain.

Please note, I am not stating the production 7.0 will be different.
I am saying it may be different.

I'm also saying that no one else, that isn't directly involved, can know that it won't be different.
It is called "beta" for a reason.
The only members of the public that have used the firmware were accidents.
This has not been made available OTA.
Yes, some people got test rides in vehicles with it, but they haven't yet gone through settings, or had any of it, as far as I have heard, explained to them.

When people start getting it OTA, then I'd consider it production, and no longer beta.

It's wishful thinking that any of the UI is going to change at this point. That was decided long ago. I hope people like minimalist analog clocks...

I like minimalist analog clocks. In fact, I like having ANY clock that I can read at a glance with old eyes that don't see the tiny fonts that Tesla started out with, but with time expanded a couple points. My wife is always asking me what time it is, or guessing, "It's 12:38, right?" and she's wrong.

I have never gone to look at a new car and decided it was no good because it had the wrong kind of clock, or the clock was in the wrong place, or the speedometer needle was blue instead of orange. The car is electric, fast, gorgeous. Some people get so stuck on the way things were, and just can't change, I guess.

And they say *I'm* old.

I like minimalist analog clocks. In fact, I like having ANY clock that I can read at a glance with old eyes that don't see the tiny fonts that Tesla started out with, but with time expanded a couple points. My wife is always asking me what time it is, or guessing, "It's 12:38, right?" and she's wrong.

I have never gone to look at a new car and decided it was no good because it had the wrong kind of clock, or the clock was in the wrong place, or the speedometer needle was blue instead of orange. The car is electric, fast, gorgeous. Some people get so stuck on the way things were, and just can't change, I guess.

And they say *I'm* old.

It's really not any one thing. Frankly, what's making me so angry (and "angry" is really the right word) is that I don't have any choice or input into whether the interior functionality of my car is totally overhauled in a direction I find negative.

Now, I get that this is the flipside of "continual OTA improvements." I get that I signed up for that when I bought the car. I understand that this is the Brave New World and that someday all cars will be subject to change and revision at the whim of the manufacturer and design team.

Fine. It's fine. Except I still would rather not have Tesla fundamentally revised a key part of the car that I bought. It took Tesla's decision to make the UI worse in order for me to understand the negatives of the Brave New World.

It's not really a world I want to live in. Maybe I'm the one who's old.

I am very excited about v7. I completely don't care about the UI changes that have caused such a ruckus and I look forward to the new features.

If I need to see outside temperature or my energy consumption, I'm happy to use my phone or check specific apps. I literally do not care about those things on 99% of my driving whereas I would use Autopilot everyday.

Wow, how many pages of nothing other than "it will/it won't/sez you/you're wrong/it's good/it's bad/no I'm right"? Five, minimum, probably many more. Somebody stick a fork in this thread, I think it's done.

Yes.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair, couldn't the same be said of virtually any thread on TMC over 10 pages? I can think of several examples off the top of my head.

And yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Fine. It's fine. Except I still would rather not have Tesla fundamentally revised a key part of the car that I bought. It took Tesla's decision to make the UI worse in order for me to understand the negatives of the Brave New World.

It's not really a world I want to live in. Maybe I'm the one who's old.

Do you really think "Tesla" thinks they decided to make the UI worse? I would hazard very nearly everything I own that collectively they think they're improving it. For whom and how are unknowns, but I'm 99% convinced they think this is a needed improvement.

Frankly I'm at the point that I'll take any version of 7.0 I can get, seeing as I bought my car almost a year ago with the promise of autopilot and have spent what will likely be 1/3 of my ownership waiting for that promised feature to be delivered.

Tesla should not have tied a major UI overhaul to other driving features like AP. Yes, AP needs UI changes, but they should be plug-and-playable -- such that TM can update one without affecting the other. For instance, put all the AP toy car and lane notifications into one of the side panel "apps" and not change the entire layout of the dashboard. That way, people can pick and choose what they want, and at the same time, TM can push continual updates to AP software without affecting the UI.

Do you really think "Tesla" thinks they decided to make the UI worse? I would hazard very nearly everything I own that collectively they think they're improving it. For whom and how are unknowns, but I'm 99% convinced they think this is a needed improvement.

No, I am sure they don't. But it doesn't matter. My point is that it took them deciding to make the UI worse from my perspective in order for me to really understand the disadvantages of "continual improvement." If you'd asked me 6 months ago whether I thought there was any real downside to having a car that upgraded itself, I would have said no.

Now I see that there is.

Fact is: there's only so much screen real estate. When Tesla adds auto pilot info, they have to display it somewhere. I know there would be a huge hue and cry if they did not. So, they decided that people who care about discharge/regen/range info can have that a couple of inches over combined with a better looking energy graph. And a few other things they're moving around or reducing redundancy between dash and 17" display. The only thing I've seen in alleged 7.0 photos that appears to be gone gone is trip1 trip2. Though I use that all the time (constantly motivated to improve lifetime wh/mi), I'd probably have more fun driving if I ignored and hit the go pedal hard more often. I really think that those who are posting the same gripes over and over on every page of this thread should just relax until they see and experience it in toto before finalizing their view.

If members are repeat posting because they think somehow this is how you make a point with Tesla, I just hope they are also writing directly to tesla. Just posting here is a pretty darned indirect way to try to influence. While I do understand Tesla has been known to read this forum, repeat posters (saying nothing new, but just hammering in their discontent) should be aware how this looks to a casual reader: it looks as if a handful of people (in the scheme of total buyers) are very upset about this. Tesla probably has more beta testers (and far more focus group members) than the number of very vocal unhappy members here. And, let's remember, I'm sure their management team and lead engineers have been driving 7.0 alpha/beta cars as their daily drivers for many moons. It would take a large vat of kool-aid to cover up real problems.

I do (as a classic owner) appreciate the concern that reallocation of pixels to auto-pilot may come at a cost to those of us without AP. So, I'll take that in the hope that it helps sell more cars, gets my next car (3) on the road sooner... and also remembering all the time that I've had much more new functionality delivered OTA over the last 3 years of ownership than I ever expected... and more to come.

Tesla probably has more beta testers (and far more focus group members) than the number of very vocal unhappy members here.

I'm not saying this to make a snide comment. This is a serious question.

Do we actually have any indication that Tesla uses focus groups? And if so, do we have any reason to believe that they use focus groups for things like this?

I don't think I've seen any reference to Tesla using focus groups before the above post.