Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You've said this at least a couple of times recently, and I didn't comment until now, but this time I'm going to.

Tesla may have a good record of coming through most of the time, but it is certainly not a perfect record. Some of the promises made and never delivered on include the center console issue, a visor issue of some sort (was it mirrors in the visors?--I'm not on top of that one), and I know there are others. So Tesla definitely has let some of us down.

Yup:

1. Free lighted mirror retrofit (GeorgeB promised this a bunch)
2. Music storage (not important for me, but an official spec for a long time)
3. iPhone music integration over USB
4. 3rd party apps
5. Chrome web browser
6. Key based driver profiles
7. Wayyyy overhyped trip planning capabilities (ok this probably doesn't count, but it's my list!)

There's a pretty long list of promises beyond this from either official specs or very high up people that have never and probably will never come to pass. That's not even including things that existed for a while but mysteriously disappeared.

Once again, unless you are a higher up in the Tesla firmware department, this is at best, pure speculation.
The leaked info has been still images. We don't know what user options are currently in beta, much less what will be the final form.

I understand that for you, there is a lack of information you find significant.
IMO, the leaked images do not show any lack of "significant system information".
I understand you, and some others may think so, but others may disagree.
If it truly is as awful as you seem to think, I am sure beta testers, who have actually lived with it, have told them.

All I ask is that people calm down until you get to see the final, working product.
maybe you haven't seen the videos taken at the MX launch clearly showing 7.0 running in detail? These are sold vehicles operating right now. We know exactly what 7.0 looks like.

Once again, unless you are a higher up in the Tesla firmware department, this is at best, pure speculation.
The leaked info has been still images. We don't know what user options are currently in beta, much less what will be the final form.

All I ask is that people calm down until you get to see the final, working product.

But we do know what it will look like as evidenced by the video above that shows Version 7, non beta release with build number 2.7.x running on production release Model X, in public. That's not beta or "leaked" images my friend.

maybe you haven't seen the videos taken at the MX launch clearly showing 7.0 running in detail? These are sold vehicles operating right now. We know exactly what 7.0 looks like.

What, this one?

Really good video of fw7 in action taken over the shoulder of the driver during the MX launch.

Really like the power gauge with embedded consumption graph on the right.

That is a joke. No detail about options, not even showing what options are available via the scroll wheels.
Again, I like the leaked still photos I've seen. I'd be just fine if the final looked that way.
If they can improve it to make a few more people happier, great!

As for what little you have seen of the display, you don't know that it is final. Yes, we saw it in the Model X. Perhaps the founder that received it is in the beta program and Tesla decided they were ok with it being semi-public.

Wait till the roll out, feel free to decline it until you get a chance to see it. But your continually haranguing on the beta firmware seems overly dramatic and premature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait till the roll out, feel free to decline it until you get a chance to see it. But your continually haranguing on the beta firmware seems overly dramatic and premature.

Except the draft V7 release notes echo everything we've seen in the beta images and the Model X released firmware, which I think gives us a pretty good idea that what we've seen is what they're planning on releasing for the rest of us... unless they go back with the current level of critical feedback and drastically change it.

Except the draft V7 release notes echo everything we've seen in the beta images and the Model X released firmware, which I think gives us a pretty good idea that what we've seen is what they're planning on releasing for the rest of us... unless they go back with the current level of critical feedback and drastically change it.

Wild speculation.
Wouldn't you expect beta software to be accompanied by release notes?
Or should beta testers simply guess?

And if they do change it, I would hope they are listening to the feedback of their beta testers, and not feedback from people that have such limited knowledge of it.
If beta testers find it as awful as you do, Tesla should listen to their feedback.

Wild speculation..

Wild? Hardly. It's been released. It's on production vehicles sold to the public. It's not speculation anymore.

And if they do change it, I would hope they are listening to the feedback of their beta testers, and not feedback from people that have such limited knowledge of it.
If beta testers find it as awful as you do, Tesla should listen to their feedback.

If the beta testers gave them any similar feedback, it would have been ages ago and Tesla would have made some changes by now, but no such changes are evident in the Model X, non-beta, publicly released software.

I'm not sure what axe you're trying to grind -- your assertions may have been valid two months ago when this all started, but now that we've seen it -- it's real. And it's NOT spectacular.

Wild? Hardly. It's been released. It's on production vehicles sold to the public. It's not speculation anymore.

If the beta testers gave them any similar feedback, it would have been ages ago and Tesla would have made some changes by now, but no such changes are evident in the Model X, non-beta, publicly released software.

I'm not sure what axe you're trying to grind -- your assertions may have been valid two months ago when this all started, but now that we've seen it -- it's real. And it's NOT spectacular.

Did you touch them by accident in the sauna ?:biggrin: Long live Seinfeld....

Personally for me, the most worrying sign is that we haven't yet seen any actual videos of AP in action. Even though there should be a sizable Beta program going on right now. I just can't believe that not one of the beta testers (or their passengers!) could fail to resists temptation to post a couple of short "Look Ma, no hands!" videos to Youtube.

Believe it and stop worrying. Perhaps they respect non-disclosure agreements or perhaps what they saw is so impressive that they believe in supporting the company by respecting its wishes - and maybe both.

changes by now, but no such changes are evident in the Model X, non-beta, publicly released software.

Not one person has posted that they have received 7.0. Not one employee has commented that version 7.0 is public now.
You have one(?) founder's car that has 7.0. And I would bet all of the founders are beta testers.
We know Elon has been testing 7.0 for months.

I have no axe to grind, I simply feel it is foolish for people to get worked up over a beta firmware screenshot and uninformative video and a set of draft release notes.

If the software is the same as shown when it is available to update, and there is nothing more to it than what you have seen, by all means, scream all you want. But until then, calm down, for your own health.

Not one person has posted that they have received 7.0. Not one employee has commented that version 7.0 is public now.
You have one(?) founder's car that has 7.0. And I would bet all of the founders are beta testers.
We know Elon has been testing 7.0 for months.

I have no axe to grind, I simply feel it is foolish for people to get worked up over a beta firmware screenshot and uninformative video and a set of draft release notes.

If the software is the same as shown when it is available to update, and there is nothing more to it than what you have seen, by all means, scream all you want. But until then, calm down, for your own health.

Have you been paying attention? All the public test vehicles at the launch event have the new V7 firmware, as evidenced by the news stories, photos and videos by people who rode in them (including TMC forum members), not just "one founder's car". :rolleyes:

Have you been paying attention? All the public test vehicles at the launch event have the new V7 firmware, as evidenced by the news stories, photos and videos by people who rode in them (including TMC forum members), not just "one founder's car". :rolleyes:
Sorry, but there's nothing "public" about those vehicles. They are all Founder's Series, and the Founder's are probably all in the Beta program...it would only make sense that they are.

Sorry, but there's nothing "public" about those vehicles. They are all Founder's Series, and the Founder's are probably all in the Beta program...it would only make sense that they are.

I'm not talking about the cars delivered on stage, I'm talking about the hundreds of test drives they gave out after the event to all the attendees who wanted one. We don't know what the status is of those cars, but they're certainly not the cars delivered to owners that night having hundreds of general public people jump in and out all night. If the software is still truly in beta, I wouldn't expect TM to allow hundreds of thousands or people not under NDA to see it yet.

Not one person has posted that they have received 7.0.

What about the several people who have had it "accidentally" installed on their cars who weren't in the beta program AND have reported it here on TMC? I guess they don't count.

Not one employee has commented that version 7.0 is public now.

That's a requirement? If history is any indication, TM hasn't announced any firmware updates until people start getting it installed on their cars, and even then, the Service Centers are usually the last ones to find out.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about the cars delivered on stage, I'm talking about the hundreds of test drives they gave out after the event to all the attendees who wanted one. We don't know what the status is of those cars, but they're certainly not the cars delivered to owners that night having hundreds of general public people jump in and out all night. If the software is still truly in beta, I wouldn't expect TM to allow hundreds of thousands or people not under NDA to see it yet.

Wouldn't those be considered even more beta than the Founders cars?

They may be, but it was a very public event and Tesla felt good enough about the current V7 to use it for the event and is all the cars the press test drove.

I believe it is extremely likely at this point that what has been shown is what will be released, if for no other reason than they are out of time.

Hopefully, it will be followed up quickly with visual improvements and restoring the some of the information that has been removed, or at least options to enable restoring things.

They may be, but it was a very public event and Tesla felt good enough about the current V7 to use it for the event and is all the cars the press test drove.

I believe it is extremely likely at this point that what has been shown is what will be released, if for no other reason than they are out of time.

Hopefully, it will be followed up quickly with visual improvements and restoring the some of the information that has been removed, or at least options to enable restoring things.

They also felt the firmware that they based autopilot test rides on a year ago was good enough to show. Would you all consider that current and ready to go?

Wouldn't those be considered even more beta than the Founders cars?

"more beta" or not, they're clearly showing this firmware release to the general public and the press. That sounds much more like "production" than "beta" to me.

- - - Updated - - -

They also felt the firmware that they based autopilot test rides on a year ago was good enough to show. Would you all consider that current and ready to go?

No, because they also announced that the software was far from ready at that point.

I think we're at the point of wysiwyg. What you see is what you get. Beta V1 and V2 and the model X all look the same. Why would one think the final one will be any different.

Probably a 7.1 or 8.0 might bring back items if enough people complain.