Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
This AM I was able to sit in a Model S which was a beta tester's car. It was equipped with the latest drop of V7 software which he implied was the the 3rd update.
Bear in mind I do not own a Model S so my opinions are not based upon latent knowledge of the interface.

I did not take any photos and did not even ask if I could as I felt this was not correct behavior.

However, here is what I learned.

First off the center display is clean as is the 17 inch display.
No wasted space what so ever. Once you leave the root display of the 17" and get to the sub menus,
they appear the same actually however the 3 dimensionality of the sliders is gone. Clean interface and bright.
The readability is very good. The colors shown were very visible on the 17 inch display.
I asked if there was a choice of color "skins" but he was not aware if there were any "skins".
He did imply the day and night displays are an improvement as far has he was concerned.

I ask what were the best new features...

I was shown the fact that the trip logs now show more information than before.
The central display trip log not only shows watt hours per mile since last charge but a new line of information is available
which is the display of kWh since last start with time.

In the area of the entertainment section, you can be playing something and then also browse (a USB stick) and queue up the next song.

Also you can from the top of the 17" display, drag an application down to the top or bottom of the 17 inch display.

There was an implication that his particular Model S (P85+) was perhaps more responsive than before 7.x software was installed. No details provided.

I was told that all applications are much more quick and responsive. He has had the LTE upgrade done prior to 7 but implied that 7 really makes them usable.
Using the Web Browser, We went to the design studio and it came right up... did a Google search on Tesla and immediate response.
There was a new app called Cameras but it was greyed out. We could not invoke it.
He did not know what this was for.

I was told the navigation was very responsive in redrawing but we were sitting still so did not really see this and again I have no
latent knowledge of what is was like prior to 7.x

I do not know if this information has been discussed here before, if so please forgive. If not, enjoy.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. Maybe that's the "built-in dashcam" feature that many have been requesting.

This is very intriguing. I saw that lens icon at the top of the screen, but it seems to be disabled every time I see a screenshot. Wasn't mentioned in the release notes either IIRC.

Then again, maybe it's just bringing up the reverse cam which he didn't have.

This particular P85+ was pre AutoPilot hardware. So that would be rather hard to do. :wink:

Perhaps this is why the "Cameras" app was unavailable.

Also you can from the top of the 17" display, drag an application down to the top or bottom of the 17 inch display.

Just FYI, this is not exclusive to v7. I have it now on 6.2 and it has been there as long as I can remember (4.x maybe).

Finally a queue would be great! My friend always try to queue up songs but realize they can't.

As for the camera, is that not just the rear-facing camera?

In the area of the entertainment section, you can be playing something and then also browse (a USB stick) and queue up the next song.

There was a new app called Cameras but it was greyed out. We could not invoke it.
He did not know what this was for.