Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm at 15000 miles after 4 months. So it's not unusual.

15,000 in 4 months? Now that's unusual!
At that rate you'll hit 45k in 12 months!

I average about 600 miles per week in my regular commute where I could really use some autopilot, especially late at night. Needless to say, I am more than a little put off by the fact that the "next few months" has turned out to be a year since I made the decision to buy last October.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm at 9500 miles over 4 months, and the current version of autopilot is responsible for at least 7500 of that.

I can't even imagine how many miles I'll put on it once hwy lane-steering is added.

Same here!

Yikes.

Just knowing that some people will in fact probably try to sleep (or other equally inattentive actions) while using autopilot is scary enough for me to probably keep a closer defensive driving eye on other Model S on the road whenever v7 is released. lol.

Yeah, or when Tesla gets the car-to-car communications working, it alerts to let you know where the AP cars are and if AP is enabled... so you can steer clear of them! ;)

Yeah, or when Tesla gets the car-to-car communications working, it alerts to let you know where the AP cars are and if AP is enabled... so you can steer clear of them! ;)

The most effective solution is a secondary nag. If you don't put your hands on the wheel after the first nag, a shrill human scream at volume 11 is blasted throughout the vehicle. One or two of those, and the behavior is sure to change.

Yikes.

Just knowing that some people will in fact probably try to sleep (or other equally inattentive actions) while using autopilot is scary enough for me to probably keep a closer defensive driving eye on other Model S on the road whenever v7 is released. lol.

I have no doubt that someone will do it. I just hope I won't be around them! But on a semi-serious note, drsaab is averaging 38.5k miles per year. When does s/he sleep to make that happen!

- - - Updated - - -

To Hell with biodefense mode, I need perimeter defense mode!

I need that for all the texters. I've already suffer at their hands too much!

I have no doubt that someone will do it. I just hope I won't be around them! But on a semi-serious note, drsaab is averaging 38.5k miles per year. When does s/he sleep to make that happen!

I actually was over 35k miles per year up until last year. My 2012 Chevy Volt, bought in February 2012, had about 70,000 miles on it when I sold it to my brother in March 2014. He actually is keeping with that trend and just passed 100,000 miles on that car earlier this summer.

My P85 had ~25k miles when I traded it after 9 months of ownership. My P85D has 16k miles after almost 10 months of ownership, but it's sat unused quite a bit over the past few months as I've traveled via other means (mainly flying). I had planned on an additional ~8k miles of driving for the summer, but decided against it without having autopilot lane keeping as originally promised for the summer.

Suffice it to say I drive/travel quite a bit. I'll likely shift a lot of that travel back to driving if Tesla ever releases v7.

Crikey you guys are racking up some miles!

I'm still @ 9k miles since picking mine up 14 months ago. 99% in start stop city traffic.

I'm more looking forward to torque sleep when stationary, rather than AP tbh. Fingers crossed it makes a big difference to efficiency.

Suffice it to say I drive/travel quite a bit. I'll likely shift a lot of that travel back to driving if Tesla ever releases v7.

And here I ended up flying to Chicago rather than driving up. But part of that was not having destination parking set up. Otherwise, I would have been knocking on your door for a top-off to make Knoxville. I will get my traveling legs soon as I'm driving to Miami later this month.

Road tripping is new for me. My 4Runner is nine years old with 86k on it, and that includes two trips from Miami to Charlotte when moving. Driving the S though actually makes me look forward to trips though!

Last edited: