Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about OTA updates, but when I went in for the LTE upgrade and had a loaner and moved the thumb drive to the loaner, the time bar and all the artwork that I got when the car was new, but haven't gotten since the upgrade that enabled unicode, came back in the loaner. I had thought that it was just a problem with the later updates not getting the artwork, but now I see that it's just my car. (And no, the LTE upgrade didn't fix this. Very few tracks have artwork or the time bar.)

Are these tracks on a USB drive of some kind?

I would expect you know this, but I guess there's a chance I stumbled across something that you have somehow not seen, so if this is common knowledge, I apologize. The Model S caches all the data for your music files in such a way that unless you change the name of the directory, other changes you may make won't be picked up. So you could try creating a new directory on the USB device, and then copying your music files into that new directory, and see if that helps.

Again, apologies if this was analagous to telling you that 2+2=4. I'm just not sure how widespread the knowledge is about the caching.

Are these tracks on a USB drive of some kind?

I would expect you know this, but I guess there's a chance I stumbled across something that you have somehow not seen, so if this is common knowledge, I apologize. The Model S caches all the data for your music files in such a way that unless you change the name of the directory, other changes you may make won't be picked up. So you could try creating a new directory on the USB device, and then copying your music files into that new directory, and see if that helps.

Again, apologies if this was analagous to telling you that 2+2=4. I'm just not sure how widespread the knowledge is about the caching.

No apology necessary. I did know that, and even tried it, but it didn't help. This was also the upgrade that wiped out all the Favourites. But I do suspect that you're correct and that somehow the cached data is interfering.

No apology necessary. I did know that, and even tried it, but it didn't help. This was also the upgrade that wiped out all the Favourites. But I do suspect that you're correct and that somehow the cached data is interfering.

The way the system caches data, and what it takes to clear it seems to not be well understood by the Tesla service people.

At one point when I was having issues with this, and before I had discovered the renaming tricks, I had read of having the meta-data cache cleared, and that it could be done by calling in to customer support. I tried that, and all customer support could do was have someone from the service center get in touch with me. I thought that would be fine, and that they would then be able to somehow clear the meta-data cache remotely. When I did hear from someone at the service center, I was told that the cache was cleared each night when the car went into power-saving mode, as long as I was not selecting the "always connected" mode. Obviously this was not the case.

I think sometimes a firmware update may clear parts of what is in the meta data cache, but I don't think there is a lot of consistency, and I don't think it is a complete clearing of the cache.

If you somehow managed to get someone at Tesla to really completely wipe out your meta data cache, I think you might find your problem solved. (Of course one way to do it would be to do a complete reset, but I'm sure you don't want to do that.)

The way the system caches data, and what it takes to clear it seems to not be well understood by the Tesla service people.

At one point when I was having issues with this, and before I had discovered the renaming tricks, I had read of having the meta-data cache cleared, and that it could be done by calling in to customer support. I tried that, and all customer support could do was have someone from the service center get in touch with me. I thought that would be fine, and that they would then be able to somehow clear the meta-data cache remotely. When I did hear from someone at the service center, I was told that the cache was cleared each night when the car went into power-saving mode, as long as I was not selecting the "always connected" mode. Obviously this was not the case.

I think sometimes a firmware update may clear parts of what is in the meta data cache, but I don't think there is a lot of consistency, and I don't think it is a complete clearing of the cache.

If you somehow managed to get someone at Tesla to really completely wipe out your meta data cache, I think you might find your problem solved. (Of course one way to do it would be to do a complete reset, but I'm sure you don't want to do that.)

Very likely. My car has always used sleep mode and never always connected, so any cache clearing that happens doesn't affect whatever is stuck there. (Interestingly, but off topic, the wakeup time from the App seems to vary with each release.)

(Even more off topic, I aways seem to find the computer problems that level 3 can't fix. Usually I end up fixing them myself but only after some time.)

Very likely. My car has always used sleep mode and never always connected, so any cache clearing that happens doesn't affect whatever is stuck there. (Interestingly, but off topic, the wakeup time from the App seems to vary with each release.)

(Even more off topic, I aways seem to find the computer problems that level 3 can't fix. Usually I end up fixing them myself but only after some time.)

Something else you could try, if you haven't yet, is a completely different USB drive. For good measure, name it differently too, and name the first directory differently too, just to be really safe. That wouldn't clear the meta data cache, but everything on the new USB really should cause new data to be cached.

As a test, and to see if you need to go even a step further before you do this, if you have a folder titled "Beatles" that has cover art not displaying, try, on the new USB, naming that folder "B e a t l e s" instead, and see if that causes the cover art to display. If that does, but other folders still don't, you might have to change every folder name, but you really shouldn't have to.

It's crazy we have to play these games, isn't it?

Was there a change to TACC with the recent 6.2 updates? I believe when cruising and the car in front stopped, you needed to tap the pedal to resume moving and cruising. Now I see that my car can come to a complete stop and it will resume cruise as soon as the car in front starts moving again. It's a nice improvement.

I'm currently running Firmware Version: 2.5.36.

Was there a change to TACC with the recent 6.2 updates? I believe when cruising and the car in front stopped, you needed to tap the pedal to resume moving and cruising. Now I see that my car can come to a complete stop and it will resume cruise as soon as the car in front starts moving again. It's a nice improvement.

I'm currently running Firmware Version: 2.5.36.

It's always behaved that way on the highway. They've tweaked how long it'll stay in cruise mode while stopped before going into hold mode with some of the updates though. But I've always found the behavior inconsistent. If the highway goes near a slower street and the car can't be sure which street you're on due to GPS imprecision then it'll go into hold mode on the highway too.

also: when starting up in the morning my touchscreen won't register touches sometimes for up to a minute or two. Just me?

When I was on a roadtrip earlier this summer, my touch screen became totally unresponsive to touch and I had an error message on the center screen. I was a bit panicked because I was quite a distance from home, and you really do need that interface to operate the car. (i.e. my a/c was off and it was getting hot). A re-boot seems to have fixed it and I've never had the problem again.

When I was on a roadtrip earlier this summer, my touch screen became totally unresponsive to touch and I had an error message on the center screen. I was a bit panicked because I was quite a distance from home, and you really do need that interface to operate the car. (i.e. my a/c was off and it was getting hot). A re-boot seems to have fixed it and I've never had the problem again.

I've had this exact thing happen twice now in the last couple weeks. Both times a reboot fixed it, but it's got me a little worried since I'm out of warranty (nearing 70k miles).

I've had this exact thing happen twice now in the last couple weeks. Both times a reboot fixed it, but it's got me a little worried since I'm out of warranty (nearing 70k miles).

I recall reading or hearing that someone was able to connect a USB keyboard and/or mouse and control the screen. Must check this out myself. If so, you could keep an old one in the trunk in case of emergency. In my case, the screens were all still working, showing Slacker songs and the maps were moving. Just the touch interface seemed to be off.

I recall reading or hearing that someone was able to connect a USB keyboard and/or mouse and control the screen. Must check this out myself. If so, you could keep an old one in the trunk in case of emergency. In my case, the screens were all still working, showing Slacker songs and the maps were moving. Just the touch interface seemed to be off.

There's a YouTube video. If I recall correctly, keyboards don't work for security reasons but mice do.

Ironically enough, that was me (or at least I was one of the people to do it). Early on, I was able to use multiple USB keyboards/mice, but I believe at some point Tesla disabled the use of USB keyboards via a firmware update. Mice still work, to the best of my knowledge. This offers some comfort, but not much. I think if I found myself in a situation where the touch functionality is permanently lost, I'd reluctantly fork over the cost of a replacement touchscreen. Maybe they'd let me upgrade to Nav while they're at it. :)

For me, the first time it happened, the screen appeared to be stuck, but I can't remember if I had anything up that would've shown movement. The second time, it was as you described, the maps and Slacker were both up and still functioning normally (as was HVAC).

Ditto, happened to me several times a couple of months ago. Service diagnosed it as a USB error. I had an Apple-branded USB cord plugged into the port nearest the passenger side. After unplugging the cord, the error has not recurred. Service suspects a software issue and reported it to the software team.

Ditto, happened to me several times a couple of months ago. Service diagnosed it as a USB error. I had an Apple-branded USB cord plugged into the port nearest the passenger side. After unplugging the cord, the error has not recurred. Service suspects a software issue and reported it to the software team.

Ooh, thanks for the heads up. I think both of these instances happened with the same passenger in the car, charging their phone via USB. Btw, sorry to take the thread off-topic with this.

So, I've no idea when this was introduced, but I just witnessed my wife's P85 recovering automatically from the charge rate throttle issue after some time. (Based on external monitoring)

On-grid at the moment, and charging both Model S. At some point the P85 dropped back to 60A from 80A with the whole charge speed reduced nonsense for whatever reason (I've never been able to find a reason). I checked a little while later and it had recovered on it's own to 80A. I've never seen it do this before. Usually once it drops it never returns.

I still wish they'd add an option to just disable this "feature" at your own risk.