Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 waking more often with version 2024.2.4 or 2024.2.6 firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something appears to have changed with the last or previous firmware update. Prior to that time my M3 only woke up if parked for more than 6+ days or new firmware downloaded (assuming not driven, doors opened or using the Tesla App etc..). Now something related to my iPhone 7 or an app on the phone appears to be causing the car to wake, not sure what yet. To confirm it was the iPhone I turned it off for five days and as far as I can tell it did not wake over that period of time. I am using a Bluetooth Battery monitor to log the low voltage battery voltage to confirm the car never woke. At this point, I am not sure what has changed or what might be causing this new waking issue. Next debug steps are to turn off Bluetooth/Wifi on the iPhone in all combinations to narrow this issue. I have been using a third party app since purchasing the car last August and it has never retrieved data unless the car was awake for some other reason. I configured this third party app to stop tracking the car but have not yet changed the Tesla account password. If necessary in the debug process, I will do so. Just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this change before further debugging?

Regards, Ron

I have also noticed my 2021 MY wakes up way more often since a couple updates back. I use Tessie but it has never caused issues. The car sometimes wakes up multiple times in a day, usually for about 10-20 mins, and sometimes doesn’t wake up at all for a day. It seems to *maybe* be better after 2024.2.7 that got installed a couple days ago, but too soon to tell. I just want to know why it’s waking up and what it’s doing. My 12V battery health is fine.

Still troubleshooting this new waking issue. I left my iPhone powered off while my 2023 Model 3 was parked for 4+ days and verified the car did not wake that entire time using my Bluetooth Monitor battery monitor. Powered on my phone while standing next to the car and that woke up the car. Next test, I turned off Bluetooth and Wifi before powering down the phone for the next test. The car slept for 24+ hours before I powered the phone back on. I then turned on Bluetooth waited awhile then turned on Wifi and the car did NOT wake up? The next day I powered on the phone (with Bluetooth and Wifi enabled) and the car DID wake up?

It appears after the last firmware update 2024.2.7 or 8 , my random waking has stopped.
May have found what is waking the car. I have an iPhone and my wife has an Android both set up to not update the Tesla app automatically. I have another iPhone I use for other debugging purposes and that updates the Tesla app automatically. A few weeks back I turned off Bluetooth access on that phone just to the Tesla app not globally on the phone. When I turned Bluetooth access back on to the Tesla app that woke the car. My debug IOS iphone has version 4.30.6 (the latest) and our other two phone have a much older version.

Maybe someone else experiencing random wake ups could verify this and report back to this thread.

Yes I remember when that was happening. I made many posts at that time regarding the issue. Were you the one working with Tesla to resolve the issue with the phone app? If so, they made you do everything but stand on your head trying to solve the issue; likewise, if memory serves, it took several revs to the firmware and almost a month to identify and fix the problem?

Yes I remember when that was happening. I made many posts at that time regarding the issue. Were you the one working with Tesla to resolve the issue with the phone app? If so, they made you do everything but stand on your head trying to solve the issue; likewise, if memory serves, it took several revs to the firmware and almost a month to identify and fix the problem?
I was working with service and they relayed to the app development team. It was an app issue in that case and they put out 2 revisions within the weekend and the 2nd one corrected the issue. I have a 3 and Y and they both were waking every 6-8 minutes then sleeping again. I timed it, disconnected any aftermarket anything that could wake the car (I only had a Watch app) and even removed the bluetooth monitor I had on the battery (which alerted me in the first place the car was waking several times a hour). Tesla came back and thought it was related to calendar sync but regardless it was corrected. I literally sat on a chair in the garage between the 2 cars and logged how often each car woke. They could at least sent some filters...

I was working with service and they relayed to the app development team. It was an app issue in that case and they put out 2 revisions within the weekend and the 2nd one corrected the issue. I have a 3 and Y and they both were waking every 6-8 minutes then sleeping again. I timed it, disconnected any aftermarket anything that could wake the car (I only had a Watch app) and even removed the bluetooth monitor I had on the battery (which alerted me in the first place the car was waking several times a hour). Tesla came back and thought it was related to calendar sync but regardless it was corrected. I literally sat on a chair in the garage between the 2 cars and logged how often each car woke. They could at least sent some filters...
Don't remember if I thanked you for your effort back then, if not THANKS!

Reactions: Flybyglass
My car is still waking several times a day. It definitely seems to be related to how close my phone is to the car. Not all the time, but a lot of the time. I was out for 8 hours today (took my wife’s car) and the car slept the entire time. Right when I got home and walked past my car it woke up (I could hear the contractors). This has happened at least a dozen times over the past couple months. This never happened before this started a couple updates ago. I sure hope they fix this because it’s a lot of unnecessary waking/sleeping the car is doing.

I recently looked at my alerts and figured out that I was getting UI_a112 USB Device Malfunction error pretty much every time my car was waking up on its own. I tried deleting dashcam clips and formatting USB drive but that didn’t make a difference.

Two days ago I decided to just remove the USB stick from the glovebox and the car has only woken up on its own one time in the last 48+ hours. I’ll give it another couple days for more reliable data.

I ordered a new Samsung USB stick and I’ll try that to see if it stays fixed. I also recently updated to 2024.8.4 which may be having an effect too. I will try to isolate which is the culprit. Anyone else notice less waking with 2024.8.4?