Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my 85D. 6.1. :frown:

Congrats on the new car. I seriously doubt you'll be pining for this over the next day or two ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing in the release notes, but a fellow P85D owner stated he thought acceleration in the 30-90 range had improved.

Also, if they're on TMC, remember to use the poll to track when people get this ;-)

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/44998-Firmware-6-2-poll-to-say-when-you-got-it?p=954827&viewfull=1#post954827

- - - Updated - - -

Those new to firmware update process who have questions like: When am I going to get 6.2? Please visit this new wiki Firmware Update Process

Those grizzled vets and curmudgeons, please update/improve/correct WIKI...BUT, let's please STICK TO FACTS, AVOID JUDGEMENTS, AND KEEP TO ONE PAGE. If it becomes a book, all the type A owners will lose interest and just re-ask the questions in the release thread!

As a PSA, I may bump this post every dozen or so pages if the questions keep coming up.
thank you for doing, and not just expecting. +1 rep point from me, and hopefully others follow suit (hint: it's the star symbol in bottom left of each post ;-))

While I like the idea of the poll post, I would like to collect the data in a more structured manner.
I have started a wiki page that basically contains a spreadsheet that allows us to track how 6.2 (and later) roll out.
One row per car (so if you have more than one Model S (you lucky... person), please add multiple rows). And then every time you get a firmware update you add an entry with date and version / software release number.

Firmware Upgrade Tracker

I know from experience that some people dislike editing tables in the wiki (it is non-trivial). Feel free to PM me your data and I'll add things for you.

While I like the idea of the poll post, I would like to collect the data in a more structured manner.

Then what? Will there be a graphical representation somewhere to show the data? I really don't want to scroll through thousands of different cars/version numbers counting the 6.2's. Also, if it will be exported to a graph, how will you deal with differences in formatting? (6.1 - 2.2.179 vs 6.1 / 2.2.179 vs 6.1 2.2.179 / etc.)

I have started a wiki page that basically contains a spreadsheet that allows us to track how 6.2 (and later) roll out.
One row per car (so if you have more than one Model S (you lucky... person), please add multiple rows). And then every time you get a firmware update you add an entry with date and version / software release number.

Firmware Upgrade Tracker

I know from experience that some people dislike editing tables in the wiki (it is non-trivial). Feel free to PM me your data and I'll add things for you.

I love this idea.

I would suggest changing the first date column to when you received your car because those of us who have had our cars for a long time have no idea when we received our latest update.

Alternatively, just leave out the first date column because this is really about 6.2 and later.

Then what? Will there be a graphical representation somewhere to show the data? I really don't want to scroll through thousands of different cars/version numbers counting the 6.2's. Also, if it will be exported to a graph, how will you deal with differences in formatting? (6.1 - 2.2.179 vs 6.1 / 2.2.179 vs 6.1 2.2.179 / etc.)
My goal is to take the data, parse it and turn it into an overview graph. As long as people stay somewhat consistent it should be hard to account for minor differences in formatting.

- - - Updated - - -

I love this idea.

I would suggest changing the first date column to when you received your car because those of us who have had our cars for a long time have no idea when we received our latest update.

Alternatively, just leave out the first date column because this is really about 6.2 and later.
Correct - NOLA_Mike and I entered two examples with 6.1, but this really is intended for 6.2 and later. That's why it's called the "Upgrade" tracker :)
But adding entries like you did is fine, too. The real fun will start when people start receiving 6.2

Anybody know what exactly is in the audio codec update? Since I don't have all the fancy auto pilot hardware I'm particularly excited about my music sounding better :) Of course the nav improvements are a close 2nd... but I'm wondering does this mean just for music sourced from portable media, bluetooth, the internet via the car's offerings, or some combination... My guess would be bluetooth profiles and maybe some new codecs for portable media...

I was reading a couple of threads yesterday that mentioned drivers in Germany with 6.1 have tested the car up to 250 Km per hour. Not sure if this is just for German owners or it is only German owners who have been able to take their cars up to this speed.

My P85D on .179 can only go 134MPH, so that's not the case in the United States.

My P85D on .179 can only go 134MPH, so that's not the case in the United States.
Actually I think .200 was mentioned. Not sure there is anywhere I can easily test that rig now. Guess sooner or later someone with 6.2 will test it

updated:

found the references. ScepticMatt appears to have found this in a German forum, as per this post

Firmware 6.1 - Page 176

further down in this thread scepticmatt clarifies that one of the owners doing 250kph was on 6.1....200 and one was on 6.2

Last edited:
^^^^ THIS ^^^^

I've had the collision avoidance go off more times than I can count for absolutely nothing (unless I have ghost cars chasing me) and the regular radar sensors HATE the snow and slush... I can just ignore those, and accept it as a work in progress, but if this "feature" slams on the brakes in an ice storm in traffic, I'm going to go from Tesla lover directly to my attorney's office, do not pass go, do not collect $200...

I hope the outcry is loud enough this can just be "off". If the collision is unavoidable, that's why I bought the safest car in the world... let the accident happen. I don't want help.

I want to bring this up again, so Tesla notices it.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

I've had the collision avoidance go off more times than I can count for absolutely nothing (unless I have ghost cars chasing me) and the regular radar sensors HATE the snow and slush... I can just ignore those, and accept it as a work in progress, but if this "feature" slams on the brakes in an ice storm in traffic, I'm going to go from Tesla lover directly to my attorney's office, do not pass go, do not collect $200...

I hope the outcry is loud enough this can just be "off". If the collision is unavoidable, that's why I bought the safest car in the world... let the accident happen. I don't want help.
Seems from the post here: Firmware 6.2 poll to say when you got it - Page 3
that you can turn it off.

Once again, for people who don't deem to get this: collision avoidance and emergency braking are different algorithms. The latter only fires if the car is sure you are about to have an unavoidable collision. It isn't to avoid a collision, it is to minimize the impact. Collision avoidance is designed to get your damn attention so you can take action and therefore is on a much more hair trigger. Lots of cars have had emergency braking for years. This isn't some fly by night feature.