Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are right. It IS sad. It kept me employed for many years, but it is sad nonetheless. However, it was not for safety reasons, nor was it for legal reasons that they removed Smart Air Suspension. It was due to negative press and as Mayhemm has stated "...a knee-jerk reaction" to that bad press. It worked for them, but at what cost? The total lack of communication with us, the (previously) loyal customers is a confidence lost. A confidence that was further deteriorated due to missing deadlines about its return.

1. Regardless of the amount of trust you have in a company, you never put on new software the first day it's out on any system you rely on. Putting it on a lab system to see what it does in our environment is fine but not many of us have lab Teslas :)

2. Tesla brought it back about sooner than I expected--I thought June would be the actual time--so I'm not disappointed.

Putting out an alert to monitor the "sleep mode" on 5.9. Does anyone else notice that sleep mode doesn't really put the car to sleep anymore? I'm starting to notice a vampire loss again and have not observed the starting up delay upon entering the car since 5.9 was installed. Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Putting out an alert to monitor the "sleep mode" on 5.9. Does anyone else notice that sleep mode doesn't really put the car to sleep anymore? I'm starting to notice a vampire loss again and have not observed the starting up delay upon entering the car since 5.9 was installed. Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Haven't noticed any sleep issues. Haven't paid enough attention to vampire loss though.

Yes, both the instrument and touchscreen. Analyzing my VisibleTesla logs now to see if I can quantify.

Here's what my VisibleTesla logs showed:
I was getting 0.372 of estimated range per hour loss pre 5.9 with five sample periods during the past 3 weeks.
I'm now getting 0.52 of estimated range per hour loss post 5.9 with four sample periods over 6 days.

Not a crazy difference but noticeable. Also, the not seeing any starting up delay upon entering the car in the morning is suspect. Anyone else notice that the frequency of startup delays while on power save mode has been reduced or even eliminated after 5.9?

Last edited:
YAlso, the not seeing any starting up delay upon entering the car in the morning is suspect. Anyone else notice that the frequency of startup delays while on power save mode has been reduced or even eliminated after 5.9?

I definitely getting long delays when I get in the car. Yesterday it was in such a deep sleep the remote app could not wake it. Maybe I just have a sleepy car.

So how long until I can get this update? :frown:

With every* update since I got the car in February 2013, I have received the update about 8-9 weeks after first appearing here on TMC. It's now been 1 week. So, I'm expecting about 7-8 more weeks to go. Still won't stop me from checking the car to see if I get an update several times a day.

*The only two exceptions were when they took away the suspension lowering and when they added the charge-rate reduction due to wiring fault monitoring. I got those the same day as everyone else.

So how long until I can get this update? :frown:

I know there are a lot of relatively new owners experiencing release anxiety for the first time. Here's what you need to know, based upon 1+ years experience and 10+ releases:

1) The rollout sequence appears random. If it is not random, it is a complex algorithm and all the brainpower on this forum has not cracked it. So, consider it random.
2) Typically from the time an update is first reported on this forum, it is about 30 or so days until "I got it" posts start to wane. Nothing scientific here, but with number of owners growing rapidly, it is likely that the rollout time/release is increasing. In current case, 5.9 has been out <10 days, so be patient!
3) You may be one of the first to get one release, and one of the last to get another. Nobody loves you, and nobody hates you. Just random.
4) There is no conclusive evidence that wifi vs 3G makes a difference in terms of priority. If you have neither, it may delay your download.
5) If you really really want it early and it is convenient for you, stop by an SC and they'll download for you.
6) Very often, before rollout of a release is complete… BOOM, the next release comes out. So, some of us may never see 5.9. It might be 5.9.3. Tesla seems to believe in iterative, rapid fixes when something is critical or easy.

Now, I know 50% of this forum works in software, and before anybody starts talking about how it OUGHT to be, I want to be clear that I tried to stick with experiential facts, not opinion, in this post. Because we live in the world as it is, not as it should be…

With every* update since I got the car in February 2013, I have received the update about 8-9 weeks after first appearing here on TMC. It's now been 1 week. So, I'm expecting about 7-8 more weeks to go. Still won't stop me from checking the car to see if I get an update several times a day.

*The only two exceptions were when they took away the suspension lowering and when they added the charge-rate reduction due to wiring fault monitoring. I got those the same day as everyone else.
Yes, the policy seems to be "feature removal is rushed, everything else on a somewhat randomized trickle". :(

- - - Updated - - -

1) The rollout sequence appears random. If it is not random, it is a complex algorithm and all the brainpower on this forum has not cracked it. So, consider it random.
I think this is overstating it a bit. Speaking for myself, I spent a lot more brainpower on the pre-Teslive puzzle thread than I will ever spend on analyzing the rollout pattern.

- - - Updated - - -

3) You may be one of the first to get one release, and one of the last to get another. Nobody loves you, and nobody hates you. Just random.
Hate is a strong word, but if you're one of the first to get a release and you post about getting it without posting any further information or pictures I might start disliking you.

Hate is a strong word, but if you're one of the first to get a release and you post about getting it without posting any further information or pictures I might start disliking you.

Haha! I can agree with that sentiment. The major benefit of these forums is to share and teach, with only the occasional bragging :p
Plus one of the rules of the internet is "Screenshot or it didn't happen"!

I'm guessing it's been halted too (as usual). I haven't seen anyone report receiving it in a day or two, and many of us are still waiting.

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose I was stating the obvious for anyone who'd read the "Center Display Spontaneously Reboots" thread.

I got my car back today with 5.9 from the SC. For some reason whenever I get out of the car it sounds like the air suspension pump runs really loud for a few seconds. Has anyone else noticed this? I seem to recall someone else mentioned it but its a lot of posts to search through.