Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone with 5.9 confirm whether the audio system enhancements allow for accented characters in file names? I've invested an inordinate amount of time in tagging my music library accurately and was very frustrated the first time I tried to play Sigur Ros (accents omitted for posting) in my car.

[Mods feel free to move this post if it is addressed elsewhere].

Can anyone with 5.9 confirm whether the audio system enhancements allow for accented characters in file names? I've invested an inordinate amount of time in tagging my music library accurately and was very frustrated the first time I tried to play Sigur Ros (accents omitted for posting) in my car.

[Mods feel free to move this post if it is addressed elsewhere].

I don't play files in the car, but I can confirm that searching still doesn't work with apostrophes (you have to search for "its time" to find "it's time", for example, although voice recognition will insert the apostrophe).

I'm not as impressed with the hill assist feature as others seem to be so i'm wondering if i've done something wrong or if there is a problem with it. Initially I thought it might not be working as I was rolling back at hills but then I tried a steeper hill and it seemed to work. From this I assume that it is detecting the incline but that there may be some sort of threshold. I feel that if its steep enough to roll backwards, its steep enough to have Hill Assist applied. When the update was first applied I had creep turned on so I was wondering if the settings are initialized based on creep in some way. I think with creep on the shallower hills would probably be ok.
Anyone else seen issues on less steep hills?

I have always had creep turned off. Have tried out the new Hill Assist many times in the past week and it always works well. I have found that it will not come on when on a slight incline but then I don't need it in that situation. On a minimal slope you do not roll back when moving your foot from the brake to the go pedal.

I have always had creep turned off. Have tried out the new Hill Assist many times in the past week and it always works well. I have found that it will not come on when on a slight incline but then I don't need it in that situation. On a minimal slope you do not roll back when moving your foot from the brake to the go pedal.

Thanks. I may try doing a restart with creep off and try again. This evening my Wife was driving and on a moderate incline, the car started rolling backwards enough that when the accelorator didn' respond quickly enough she slammed back on the brake. If it doesn't improve I will check with Tesla Service.

CAll me Mr. OCD :biggrin:. When the update was present I made sure I was wifi, not 3G connected, and then hit 'download' now.

The update has already been downloaded when you get a notification. All you get to do is tell it when to install. If the car hasn't been moving out of wifi range for a while before the notification it's likely that it was downloaded via that connection, but not guaranteed, no?

We washed our car today and went to put the wipers in service mode and I did not get the results I got before. I flipped the switch a few times and it didn't do anything. I left it in service mode and a few minutes later the wipers wiped, then a little later they went into service position. Then when I say in the car they acted funny again but I don't remember what they did. Can anyone seek confirm this behavior. I don't want to test it right now because everything is dry.

CAll me Mr. OCD :biggrin:. When the update was present I made sure I was wifi, not 3G connected, and then hit 'download' now.

Yea, AFAIK there is no, and never has been, an option to download a software update. It only gives you the option to install an automatically downloaded update. And to do that you need neither wifi nor 3G, in fact, if you have those connected, they disconnect several times during installation.

Yea, AFAIK there is no, and never has been, an option to download a software update. It only gives you the option to install an automatically downloaded update. And to do that you need neither wifi nor 3G, in fact, if you have those connected, they disconnect several times during installation.

I stand corrected.............So, I have no idea if I received the download via 3G or Wifi. I have always received notifications that a new firmware is available overnight as my car sits in the garage with access at that location to a strong wifi signal.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you kept your car permanently outside 3G range, how would you know?
It appears I am clueless....but my wife tells me that all the time so I am quite used to it!

well, 5.9 was downloaded last night and I set the auto lowering to 55 to make sure I could experience this feature that everyone has been complaining about being taken away and that was never available since I got my car....big let down, I never noticed anything at all! I guess I will have to go for a test drive later in the week and keep a really close eye on it to see if I can really notice it, but on today's casual driving I didn't notice a thing.

Bring on the additional new functionality in 6.0!

We washed our car today and went to put the wipers in service mode and I did not get the results I got before. I flipped the switch a few times and it didn't do anything. I left it in service mode and a few minutes later the wipers wiped, then a little later they went into service position. Then when I say in the car they acted funny again but I don't remember what they did. Can anyone seek confirm this behavior. I don't want to test it right now because everything is dry.
I'm still on 5.8.10. Last week washed the car, flipped the switch for wiper service mode, nothing happened, did it again, nothing, so I decided to ignore it and went back to washing other parts of the car. One or two minutes later I get back to the windshield and there are the two wiper blades standing tall like soldiers. I moved the car (out of the wand wash) to dry it, and I didn't notice but the wipers automatically returned to normal somewhere in there.

I'm still on 5.8.10. Last week washed the car, flipped the switch for wiper service mode, nothing happened, did it again, nothing, so I decided to ignore it and went back to washing other parts of the car. One or two minutes later I get back to the windshield and there are the two wiper blades standing tall like soldiers. I moved the car (out of the wand wash) to dry it, and I didn't notice but the wipers automatically returned to normal somewhere in there.

For the longest time I thought that the Wiper Service mode just wasn't working on my car, then I finally figured out that you have to turn off the wipers on the steering wheel stalk in order for the feature to work. I'm not sure if it's supposed to work that way, but as long as I had the wipers set to auto, the service mode button doesn't do anything.

well, 5.9 was downloaded last night and I set the auto lowering to 55 to make sure I could experience this feature that everyone has been complaining about being taken away and that was never available since I got my car....big let down, I never noticed anything at all! I guess I will have to go for a test drive later in the week and keep a really close eye on it to see if I can really notice it, but on today's casual driving I didn't notice a thing.

You aren't alone. I never noticed the difference. But apparently some people do.

You're not supposed to notice it. It's not a "sport" mode where the suspension is tightened up like on some performance cars. It simply lowers the car at speed to improve aerodynamics and therefore range. There is a small decrease in body roll since the car is lower but the MS already has so little body roll due to low center of gravity only someone w/ a "highly tuned butt" would notice. If you are driving a fair distance you would notice it in lower power consumption but for most people they are just complaining because something was taken away from them by Tesla without their agreement. To some people it is a scary idea where the manufacturer can change "your" car long after you bought it without your permission.

If you are driving a fair distance you would notice it in lower power consumption but for most people they are just complaining because something was taken away from them by Tesla without their agreement. To some people it is a scary idea where the manufacturer can change "your" car long after you bought it without your permission.

Agreed. I am not one of those people, but some are not yet used to the idea that cars are now rolling computers connected to the internet. They are stuck in the old mindset that a car should always have the same features it had when they bought it. Those days are over. Cars are now subject to change after they are sold, and if a manufacturer decides a feature could increase the risk of an accident they may well take that feature away, either permanently to temporarily. I'm okay with that. I figure the manufacturer knows much better than I about that issue.

And cars can now be improved and upgraded after purchase without even taking them back to the manufacturer. That's a win/win.

BTW, 2 'features' of 5.9 for me:

New Nav Favorites list is by order entered (not useful...), not by name or distance, and no obvious way to re-order/re-sort.
Auto tilt reversing side mirrors were 'brain dead'. Had to reprogram mirrors in both Drive and Reverse for all profiles--now OK.