Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're not supposed to notice it. It's not a "sport" mode where the suspension is tightened up like on some performance cars. It simply lowers the car at speed to improve aerodynamics and therefore range. There is a small decrease in body roll since the car is lower but the MS already has so little body roll due to low center of gravity only someone w/ a "highly tuned butt" would notice. If you are driving a fair distance you would notice it in lower power consumption but for most people they are just complaining because something was taken away from them by Tesla without their agreement. To some people it is a scary idea where the manufacturer can change "your" car long after you bought it without your permission.

I don't think it's without your permission/agreement though. Some people have been refusing the 5.8 update specifically for that reason. Personally, I'm glad my car actually improves over time.

Originally Posted by ecarfan

... I figure the manufacturer knows much better than I about that issue.

You'll find a fair number of people who disagree with this statement. Many manufacturers will go into CYA mode even if the risk is low.

Let me rephrase: I KNOW that TESLA knows much better than I about that issue.

I am not an automotive or electrical engineer or a software programmer.

Not sure if anyone else suggested this yet, but for the Tesla app, it would be nice to have a "passenger" mode where you could create a login for someone and associate it with your tesla just to let them turn off their seat heaters since there are no buttons in the backseat. Perhaps also provide some "read only" stuff like speed or temperature.

but for most people they are just complaining because something was taken away from them by Tesla without their agreement. To some people it is a scary idea where the manufacturer can change "your" car long after you bought it without your permission.

Agreed. I am not one of those people, but some are not yet used to the idea that cars are now rolling computers connected to the internet. They are stuck in the old mindset that a car should always have the same features it had when they bought it. Those days are over. Cars are now subject to change after they are sold, and if a manufacturer decides a feature could increase the risk of an accident they may well take that feature away, either permanently to temporarily. I'm okay with that. I figure the manufacturer knows much better than I about that issue.

And cars can now be improved and upgraded after purchase without even taking them back to the manufacturer. That's a win/win.

I suppose I am one of "those" people. I'm not bothered by the fact that the car can be updated or changed. I'm not even really bothered by Tesla removing the low suspension mode for a while. I'm bothered by the precedent it sets going forward.

Tesla used the OTA functionality of the car, not to improve it, as has always been their sales pitch, but to remove a positive feature purely as a knee-jerk reaction to some negative press coverage. They released no data to justify this decision to their customers (for example, tests they had performed which revealed raising the car would significantly reduce the risk of battery damage). Instead we were told there was no safety issue and not to worry because the change was "only temporary". They also snuck this change into a firmware update with no mention of what it would do and pushed said update out in record time to ensure most would install it before they realized what it did; almost like an OEM-sponsored rootkit or malware infestation.

That is what bothers me. I will never blindly install an update on the first day without first reading reports from those who already have it; in case there is something untoward hiding inside. Tesla has lost the trust I once placed in it unquestioningly and it will have to work hard to regain it. I'm still a proud Tesla customer, but I won't forget. Neither should anyone else.

As I am waiting for the update as well a question popped into my head. We know that when they disabled the low driving setting even when you were stationary and you hit low it didn't go as low as it used to, those of you who have the update, does go that low again?

but to remove a positive feature purely as a knee-jerk reaction to some negative press coverage. They released no data to justify this decision to their customers (for example, tests they had performed which revealed raising the car would significantly reduce the risk of battery damage).

What they did makes perfect sense to me, from Tesla's perspective. Raising the car suspension was a way to immediately reduce the chances of an undercarriage collision while they were trying to figure out what happened. And I'm pretty sure their lawyers prevented them from saying anything about it, because it's a no-win situation. Anything that is said can be taken the wrong way and used against them. Sad that we live in such a litigious society.

I don't know if it was 5.9 or an earlier change, but now the "temp sync" option always comes up when you are changing the temperature. It used to be only if you had the climate controls menu open that it would do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if anyone else suggested this yet, but for the Tesla app, it would be nice to have a "passenger" mode where you could create a login for someone and associate it with your tesla just to let them turn off their seat heaters since there are no buttons in the backseat. Perhaps also provide some "read only" stuff like speed or temperature.
what about a separate Bluetooth based app. If you pair the phone with the car, the Bluetooth app gives you access to climate and radio controls

Mayhemm. Your are absolutely correct and I too, like you, have become very cautious. Violated trust. A long road back but I sincerely hope lessons have been learned. Over-reaction to an underhanded action? Perhaps. But, it is my opinion and I am disappointed. Still love my car. . .

What they did makes perfect sense to me, from Tesla's perspective. Raising the car suspension was a way to immediately reduce the chances of an undercarriage collision while they were trying to figure out what happened. And I'm pretty sure their lawyers prevented them from saying anything about it, because it's a no-win situation. Anything that is said can be taken the wrong way and used against them. Sad that we live in such a litigious society.
Plus, we now know that they did figure out a specific height of a specific object that would cause this. So it wasn't completely arbitrary. Even the nhtsa stated that the height did make a difference for that object (probably the most common object on the road to have to worry about).

i agree that they went about it wrong, but who knows what went on behind closed doors, or what would have come of it had hey gone another route.

Agreed. I respect the feelings of those that feel better communication about the issue should have occurred. However, TM did the right thing by trying to protect against another high impact battery puncture. If there had been another 1-2, etc. incidents the company and the vision to push the EV revolution could have been could the ultimate casualty. This was the quickest/best solution at the time.

Agreed. I respect the feelings of those that feel better communication about the issue should have occurred. However, TM did the right thing by trying to protect against another high impact battery puncture. If there had been another 1-2, etc. incidents the company and the vision to push the EV revolution could have been could the ultimate casualty. This was the quickest/best solution at the time.

This is my sentiment as well. Although I don't know if I really would feel differently had I gotten the air suspension and been directly impacted by this. Communication is the biggest thing tesla must improve and continue working on ALWAYS, or this is just going to keep happening...

Mine did as well with 4.5.
You mean you never had to have the climate controls popup popped up to get the "sync" option next to the temperatures to be visible? We got the car delivered with 4.5, and every time we wanted to change it we always had to remember what we did to find the "sync" option

- - - Updated - - -

Nvm.... Figured it out... Check this stuff out... Read the whole thread
Sync driver/passenger temperature?

Never saw that thread before, never knew that solution to the issue

however.... With the rear camera up on the lower screen, you CAN get the temp sync but only by pulling the climate control popup up and THEN pressing the temperature button...

crazy. 2 different solutions to the same issue, and this whole time I must always have been only trying to sync the temps with the camera on the lower half of the screen.

i knew the rear camera prevented things from being overlayed over it, but never thought about that being the issue on this one.

Last edited:
If you have the backup camera in the lower panel, you will not see it. As of now, nothing can be displayed over the video stream -- Not the temp-sync feature, not the volume indicator, nothing.
Yes yes yes... I knew that, but I never put two and two together that the only times I was trying to,sync temps was with the camera in the bottom. That being said... The climate controls will go over the camera (the camera probably temporarily blacks out), and then you can do the sync. It is a work around for those like my wife who like having the camera in the bottom screen. I think I convinced her to put it there because of the drop downs at the top.... Heh

You are right. It IS sad. It kept me employed for many years, but it is sad nonetheless. However, it was not for safety reasons, nor was it for legal reasons that they removed Smart Air Suspension. It was due to negative press and as Mayhemm has stated "...a knee-jerk reaction" to that bad press. It worked for them, but at what cost? The total lack of communication with us, the (previously) loyal customers is a confidence lost. A confidence that was further deteriorated due to missing deadlines about its return.

There is a small decrease in body roll ... only someone w/ a "highly tuned butt" would notice.
Oh, right, we're talking about cars. Sorry, I drifted.

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose I am one of "those" people. I'm not bothered by the fact that the car can be updated or changed. I'm not even really bothered by Tesla removing the low suspension mode for a while. I'm bothered by the precedent it sets going forward.

Tesla used the OTA functionality of the car, not to improve it, as has always been their sales pitch, but to remove a positive feature purely as a knee-jerk reaction to some negative press coverage. They released no data to justify this decision to their customers (for example, tests they had performed which revealed raising the car would significantly reduce the risk of battery damage). Instead we were told there was no safety issue and not to worry because the change was "only temporary". They also snuck this change into a firmware update with no mention of what it would do and pushed said update out in record time to ensure most would install it before they realized what it did; almost like an OEM-sponsored rootkit or malware infestation.

That is what bothers me. I will never blindly install an update on the first day without first reading reports from those who already have it; in case there is something untoward hiding inside. Tesla has lost the trust I once placed in it unquestioningly and it will have to work hard to regain it. I'm still a proud Tesla customer, but I won't forget. Neither should anyone else.
Indeed. I bet some hot shot lawyer could convince a lot of people that Tesla could "reduce its risk" by limiting every car to 70mph. How is that any different than what they did with the suspension?