Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, it is different for me since 4.2. In 4.0 and 4.1, when the charge was complete it caused the Chargepoint to think the cable was disconnected. As of 4.2, it causes the Chargepoint to send a message saying that the draw is extremely low, and that the vehicle is likely done charging. From that point on, I cannot restart charging without removing the J1772 and re-inserting it. In 4.0 and 4.1, I could restart charging remotely from the phone app.

The old way was much better for me during road trips. I could start my range charge from wherever I was, 1.5 hours before I was ready to leave, and would have enough juice to get home. Now I have to make my way to the Chargepoint, remove and re-insert the J1772, and only then can I resume charging. Of course what I'm trying to do is not very friendly to others wanting to use the Chargepoint, but for now that's a rarity. I think I can simulate it by doing a "Stop charging" from the phone app before it's complete (but I haven't tried this).
You and I are having different experiences. Once I got the "extremely low" text message, I was able to use the mobile app to flip the car into a Range charge and restart charging without physically going back to the car.

You and I are having different experiences. Once I got the "extremely low" text message, I was able to use the mobile app to flip the car into a Range charge and restart charging without physically going back to the car.

How quickly did you do that? It was 12 hours later when I tried, and it failed silently. When I went to where the car was, the Chargepoint display was saying "Please return connector" or something like that -- which I did, and was then able to restart it. Prior to 4.2, I could switch the car to range and start the chargepoint from the CP phone app.

NOTE: I have my own Chargepoint at my office, and I can certainly experiment...

Took delivery this morning, 4.2 (.42) was installed. My mirrors are also acting funny. If I save a "Reverse" position, the mirror will tilt down when I put the car in Reverse, but will not tilt back up when I put the car in Drive. If I manually move the mirror while in Drive, the "Save" dialogue pops up. If I save the position, I can move the mirror and it will restore correctly to the saved-in-drive position when I reselect my profile. However, if I put the car in reverse again, the mirror tilts down but will not tilt back up once I put the car back in Drive.

Took delivery this morning, 4.2 (.42) was installed. My mirrors are also acting funny. If I save a "Reverse" position, the mirror will tilt down when I put the car in Reverse, but will not tilt back up when I put the car in Drive. If I manually move the mirror while in Drive, the "Save" dialogue pops up. If I save the position, I can move the mirror and it will restore correctly to the saved-in-drive position when I reselect my profile. However, if I put the car in reverse again, the mirror tilts down but will not tilt back up once I put the car back in Drive.

Try the following procedure. Worked for me.

Put the car into drive and keep your foot on the brake.
Set both your mirrors to normal position you want.
Press save on your profile.
Now shift the car into reverse and keep your foot on the brake.
Set your mirrors as you want them to be when you back up.
Press the save button again on your profile.

Mirrors should then be good forward and back as you set them.

Last edited:
How quickly did you do that? It was 12 hours later when I tried, and it failed silently. When I went to where the car was, the Chargepoint display was saying "Please return connector" or something like that -- which I did, and was then able to restart it. Prior to 4.2, I could switch the car to range and start the chargepoint from the CP phone app.
I plugged in @7:29am, got about 10kWh of power (so about 9am end of charge), then restarted the charging @5:55pm.

Are you likely to run that close to your available range? Battery cells do decrease in capacity as they undergo charge cycles, so I've been letting the Tesla firmware make decisions about when to charge and when not to. "Tricking" it into another charge cycle may have exactly the opposite of your intended effect (reducing your range prematurely.)

Try the following procedure. Worked for me.

Put the car into drive and keep your door on the brake.
Set both your mirrors to normal position you want.
Press save on your profile.
Now shift the car into reverse and keep your foot on the brake.
Set your mirrors as you want them to be when you back up.
Press the save button again on your profile.

Mirrors should then be good forward and back as you set them.

This seemed like a good candidate for the FAQ, so I've added it here:5.2 Why won't my mirrors tilt down in reverse?

Are you likely to run that close to your available range? Battery cells do decrease in capacity as they undergo charge cycles, so I've been letting the Tesla firmware make decisions about when to charge and when not to. "Tricking" it into another charge cycle may have exactly the opposite of your intended effect (reducing your range prematurely.)

When I'm charging overnight away from home, I likely need a range charge, which is the only time when I do this. To avoid vampire dropoff, I wait until about 1.5 hours before I'm ready to leave on the return road trip to initiate the range charge.

I'm doing this to get the battery up to temp; while running the HVAC alone seems to warm the battery some, it seems faster if the car is also charging. You save a LOT of stored power if you can warm the battery using shore power.

My car has been essentially bug-free through the firmware iterations, until yesterday when I got:

• Reversing camera picture floating outside the frame.
  • Navigation window in night mode during the day, everything else in day mode.
  • Bluetooth endlessly initializing.

A center screen rest seems to have fixed it.

(I have been on v4.2. 1.19.42 for a couple of weeks now.)

My experience trying the voice commands was also disappointing, particularly when trying to dial a phone number. The Audi I just sold (and the BMW I had before that) could do this with no problems. [Edit: the big issue for me is that it will only dial a number in one's contact list. I need it to dial other numbers.]

I wish the car could bring up Google Now or the voice dialer app on my phone. My Jawbone bluetooth headset does that (with a button press on the headset), and it works great for voice dialing.

Color me jealous. I've tried it dozens of times and on one occasion it recognized "music" but not the artist. Every other attempt has failed completely. I've tried waiting longer. Speaking more slowly. Speaking more loudly. More softly. Faster. Holding the button longer. Pausing between words. Trying to sound natural. Nothing works for me, not even when parked in a quiet area. I have no problems with hands-free phone integration, and Siri works well for me through the car's microphone.

Last edited: