Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see it every day because of when I happen to leave in the morning. The switchover happens at the same time the auto lighting turns off (or on) because it goes from night to day (or day to night). I assume it's a caching issue. I suppose it is properly thought of as a bug, but it does manage to convey information about your drive and how the environment has changed.

It is a caching issue. You can reproduce it at will by going into your screen settings and forcing day or night mode and then looking at the map. You will see the rest of the screens will change with the mode you forced but the maps will stay on whatever mode they were before the force until the map has to reload new data

I see it every day because of when I happen to leave in the morning. The switchover happens at the same time the auto lighting turns off (or on) because it goes from night to day (or day to night). I assume it's a caching issue. I suppose it is properly thought of as a bug, but it does manage to convey information about your drive and how the environment has changed.

Same here, 4.2 does this 100% of the time. I think they overdid some caching optimizations. I just hit the zoom in/out button if it bothers me. It will no doubt get resolved in the next update.

Yesterday, at about 9pm, I was driving around and suddenly my screen went into daytime mode without any intervention from me. Nearly blinded me. I wasn't near any bright lights or anything.

I am going to reboot both screens this morning and see if it clears up the multiple problems I've been having with 4.2. -- the door handles being the most annoying.

Anybody have their driver's seat heater turn on everytime the door handles come out and then even if you turn it off, it comes back on when you put it in drive? I find that I am constantly having to turn it off. This is something I never noticed until I got 4.2.
Is it possible you're driving in extended range mode? I'm not positive, but I thought one of the things that feature does is to automatically use the seat heaters if your inside temp is below your desired cabin temp setting as a way of saving power. (Seat heaters are more efficient than running the HVAC system heat.)

A noted behavior change above is that 4.2 doesn't end the charging session on ChargePoint (and possibly other J1772) chargers. At first I was annoyed, but I realize now it's a feature: If you are plugged in to a ChargePoint for an extended time (say, at an airport), the car can automatically resume charging from time to time to keep the battery topped up.

This new behavior is great at (1) free charging stations and (2) stations in states where law requires that the charge is per kWh, rather than hours. However, if you're paying by the hour, this new behavior will keep the meter running even when no power is flowing. It would be nice to have this as a selectable feature on the Charging popup.

Well, that's good. On the other hand, last night I had to press the command six times to open my garage door, which I never had to do on 4.1 or 4.0. So I am not thrilled with the update.

That's what they mean by "rolling code", Mike. Pressing six times until it rolls! :biggrin:

Seriously, I have rolling code opener, worked fine with 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2 so far. Go figure!

My calls are listed as placed in 1969. No joke. Was thinking it was a programmer's nod to "Hotel California", ala "it goes to eleven".

It might be missing the value of the year when collecting that info from your phone.
An unusual year value would result in something prior to the "unix epoch", which began 00:00 on 1 Jan 1970. The Model S runs a flavor of Linux.
My guess is that that car interpreting the strange or missing value as something it considers "before time began". ;)

-andy

It might be missing the value of the year when collecting that info from your phone.
An unusual year value would result in something prior to the "unix epoch", which began 00:00 on 1 Jan 1970. The Model S runs a flavor of Linux.
My guess is that that car interpreting the strange or missing value as something it considers "before time began". ;)

00:00 on 1 Jan 1970 UTC/GMT, to be precise. So the epoch to those in the US happens to be the evening of Dec 31, 1969 -- which is what you're seeing.

Is there a place to read or download the updates from the newer software versions, other than the car screen. I have printed the pdf of the Owner's Guide which is based on Version 4.0 from the Tesla website. My MS delivery window closes tomorrow and the car has been completed. So I figure it will be here shortly and I am assuming that 4.2 or whatever the latest version will be installed. As one of the senior citizen owners I need to review things a couple of times and would rather not learn something that has already changed.

My calls are listed as placed in 1969. No joke. Was thinking it was a programmer's nod to "Hotel California", ala "it goes to eleven".

I had the same problem and a few other phone quirks like the contacts refused to load after the 4.1 to 4.2 update. The easy fix is to remove the phone from the bluetooth pairing list and re-pair it. All the problems went away and all the times returned to normal.

A noted behavior change above is that 4.2 doesn't end the charging session on ChargePoint (and possibly other J1772) chargers. At first I was annoyed, but I realize now it's a feature: If you are plugged in to a ChargePoint for an extended time (say, at an airport), the car can automatically resume charging from time to time to keep the battery topped up.

This new behavior is great at (1) free charging stations and (2) stations in states where law requires that the charge is per kWh, rather than hours. However, if you're paying by the hour, this new behavior will keep the meter running even when no power is flowing. It would be nice to have this as a selectable feature on the Charging popup.

Which ones (in which states) are per hour instead of kWh? Do you know of both?

I'd think even if the charge is per hour (if not too expensive), in some case one might want to remain connected, for example to enable pre-heating or pre-cooling. In those case where the charge is per hour, the intent might be to make the the parking space available. Otherwise perhaps they should change to kWh in general. Especially in places where there are a sufficient number of chargers.

Actually, it is different for me since 4.2. In 4.0 and 4.1, when the charge was complete it caused the Chargepoint to think the cable was disconnected. As of 4.2, it causes the Chargepoint to send a message saying that the draw is extremely low, and that the vehicle is likely done charging. From that point on, I cannot restart charging without removing the J1772 and re-inserting it. In 4.0 and 4.1, I could restart charging remotely from the phone app.

The old way was much better for me during road trips. I could start my range charge from wherever I was, 1.5 hours before I was ready to leave, and would have enough juice to get home. Now I have to make my way to the Chargepoint, remove and re-insert the J1772, and only then can I resume charging. Of course what I'm trying to do is not very friendly to others wanting to use the Chargepoint, but for now that's a rarity. I think I can simulate it by doing a "Stop charging" from the phone app before it's complete (but I haven't tried this).

Have 4.2 now up from 4.0. Mostly better (sunroof on one try!) but a few niggleys. One I was in the habit of listening to music for hours while tooling around outside by leaving a door open - turns off after 10 or so minutes now.

And an anoyance to my wife. She/we is/are listening to a song - I get out of the drivers door and close it - music OFF. I walk around and open her door - music ON.

Can't we have the things stay on for people left in the car? There must be seat sensors at least for both front passengers.

Also, the throttle response is smoother but it also seems like less acceleration when I really get on it.

Keep up the great work Tesla! Love the fact that the car will get better and better through firmware! :)

Just got upgraded today from 1.15.14 to 4.2 (42). The first upgrade attempt resulted in a "Car Needs Service" warning and the firmware stayed at 1.15.14, but the upgrade "took" on the second attempt.

Everything now seems ok, EXCEPT that the Backup Auto-Tilt feature for the side mirrors no longer works! (Even after toggling it OFF and back ON in Settings). The mirrors stay fixed when shifting between Drive and Reverse. Have any of you experienced this?

- - - Updated - - -

...EXCEPT that the Backup Auto-Tilt feature for the side mirrors no longer works!

Just went down to the car again, and the mirrors are working again. Strange. I'll keep an eye on it.

Just got upgraded today from 1.15.14 to 4.2 (42). The first upgrade attempt resulted in a "Car Needs Service" warning and the firmware stayed at 1.15.14, but the upgrade "took" on the second attempt.

Everything now seems ok, EXCEPT that the Backup Auto-Tilt feature for the side mirrors no longer works! (Even after toggling it OFF and back ON in Settings). The mirrors stay fixed when shifting between Drive and Reverse. Have any of you experienced this?

- - - Updated - - -

Just went down to the car again, and the mirrors are working again. Strange. I'll keep an eye on it.

My mirrors do not tilt since the latest update.