Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Walk-Away Door *Closing*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, somebody told me that I'd left the trunk of my car open. It was in a work parking lot on a dry day, so no big deal, I guess, but it isn't the first time that has happened to me, and maybe not even the first time this year. It is just so easy to do if you get distracted while unloading things from your car.

These cars are supposed to warn you with a notification from the app, but 99% of the time, that doesn't work. Either the app ends up in some half-wedged state where it can't talk to the car and doesn't respond to push notifications, or notifications and up silent because of Do Not Disturb, so you find out about them the next morning, after your doors have been open all night. And if you're really unlucky, you end up having to dry out your car because you left one of the falcon-wing doors open during a rainstorm.

What makes this so annoying is that with a single UI checkbox and about five or ten lines of code, Tesla could eliminate this problem completely on the S and X. Just add a "Close doors automatically if I'm gone too long" switch in the Safety UI screen. Then when the car detects that you have been gone for too long, if that switch is turned on in the UI, the car should skip sending the notification that you won't notice anyway, and instead, beep a few times, then close the doors as slowly as it can, then lock the doors.

Thoughts? Anybody know how to get this idea in front of someone who can actually add those three lines of code?

Maybe that’s possible on the X, but the S doesn’t have auto open/close doors, so it would take more than code. If they fixed the notification issues, they wouldn’t need to add a new feature.
Ah, my bad.

Fixing the notification issues isn't exactly an easy problem to solve. I miss text messages from ChargePoint at work, too. The buzzing on the iPhone 15 Pro is just nowhere near as loud or strong as the buzzing was on my iPhone 6s, so I don't notice it. Add Do Not Disturb to that, and you have a whole pile of problems that Tesla really can't do anything about.

But if it can close the door, it really should.