Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door and alarm issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yesterday I was walking around Home Depot and I get a notification my alarm is going off. I open the app to look at the cameras. Nothing out of the ordinary and no one close to the car. I proceed towards the exit of the store and now hear the alarm going off. I pick up the pace and now have my car in view. I open the app again to turn off the alarm and see not only is the car unlocked but the drivers rear door is open. Now I’m practically running to the car. The rear door is open about 10” or so and I immediately start looking around the car to make sure everything is there.

I look at the sentry footage which there were 4 events. Nothing. Only people walking by behind the car but never on the drivers side but the weird thing is in all the videos the rear door is closed. So no footage while the alarm is going off or what triggered it.

Fast forward to me getting home and I finally have the holiday update available so I start downloading it. While it’s downloading the car unlocks itself again which I find out from a notification from the app. Get through the update and it unlocks again shortly afterwards. I do a reboot on the car and as it’s coming back to life while I’m sitting in the car the rear door pops open again. I don’t get it! Anyone else having issues similar to this? I’ve made sure I logged out of any third party apps just to make sure they didn’t get hacked and someone is messing with peoples cars. I do have self presenting handles and soft close door modules on the car but had the previous update in the car for about a month with no issues and now all of a sudden it’s happening. I don’t know what else to do. I’ll try a hard reset this morning and pray but I’m going to be afraid to take the car anywhere wondering if the door is randomly going to pop open while I’m away from it. The car is just out of warranty. I just turned 56k miles and the car is just over 2 years old so I’m praying I don’t have to do a service call.

Is this an aftermarket product? If so, did you install it yourself or did someone else do it?
I did it almost a year ago and they’ve been working just fine and still do. My wife found in another forum that there were a few people having the issue and sounds like the original person that started to post said Tesla replaced the door panel because they couldn’t just replace the door switch.

I did it almost a year ago and they’ve been working just fine and still do. My wife found in another forum that there were a few people having the issue and sounds like the original person that started to post said Tesla replaced the door panel because they couldn’t just replace the door switch.
Many after market mods like this work “fine” until they don’t. This is an aftermarket supplier issue not Tesla or software. My auto open Frunk mod worked Great until it didn’t.

Isn't the standard answer to remove the mod, then see if the issue persists? If it persists, it is the car that needs repair. If it doesn't, it was the mod.

In general, thats what people tend to recommend.

Many after market mods like this work “fine” until they don’t. This is an aftermarket supplier issue not Tesla or software. My auto open Frunk mod worked Great until it didn’t.

I believe in some fairly recent update or other, Tesla added the ability to pop the door open from a trigger in the app. My bet would be on some interaction between this OPs mod and an update.

Since these cars are updated all the time, and Tesla will only work on supporting things that come from the factory, any of these mods are always "at your own risk". They are in other cars too, but since the car does not change much or at all from what it was running when delivered, there is less risk of something "working fine till it doesnt" with other cars than Tesla.

All the "lithium 12 Battery" threads are a prime example of that.

If the OP takes it to Tesla they are either not going to look at it at all, or tell them to remove the mod before they look into it, so if they are thinking about Taking it to tesla, they should remove the mod first anyway.

Reactions: Yelobird
Hello there. Here is mystical for me story that really bothers me:

Few weeks ago I got very annoying issue with mY 2022. Few times a day, after the car is locked (all doors fully closed, locks by walk-away with sound confirmation), after some time (from few minutes up to few hours) I got an app message "doors unlocked" (if security alarm is enabled that time, car starts to yell as well and notification comes that security alarm has been triggered). And indeed, 1 of 4 doors (rear left always) could be opened this time without any key (coming to check with bluetooth off, other 3 doors are locked).
How is that even possible and what could be checked to prevent this strange behavior? I got some aftermarket stuff installed and already performed some actions to check, but I'd like to hear first one's thoughts to not lead away and don't miss some possibly important thing.

Well, unfortunately I live in Russia and couldn't get any service here for the reasons known, so I solely rely on your thoughts, guys. Thank you in advance!

So yesterday I was walking around Home Depot and I get a notification my alarm is going off. I open the app to look at the cameras. Nothing out of the ordinary and no one close to the car. I proceed towards the exit of the store and now hear the alarm going off. I pick up the pace and now have my car in view. I open the app again to turn off the alarm and see not only is the car unlocked but the drivers rear door is open. Now I’m practically running to the car. The rear door is open about 10” or so and I immediately start looking around the car to make sure everything is there.

I look at the sentry footage which there were 4 events. Nothing. Only people walking by behind the car but never on the drivers side but the weird thing is in all the videos the rear door is closed. So no footage while the alarm is going off or what triggered it.

Fast forward to me getting home and I finally have the holiday update available so I start downloading it. While it’s downloading the car unlocks itself again which I find out from a notification from the app. Get through the update and it unlocks again shortly afterwards. I do a reboot on the car and as it’s coming back to life while I’m sitting in the car the rear door pops open again. I don’t get it! Anyone else having issues similar to this? I’ve made sure I logged out of any third party apps just to make sure they didn’t get hacked and someone is messing with peoples cars. I do have self presenting handles and soft close door modules on the car but had the previous update in the car for about a month with no issues and now all of a sudden it’s happening. I don’t know what else to do. I’ll try a hard reset this morning and pray but I’m going to be afraid to take the car anywhere wondering if the door is randomly going to pop open while I’m away from it. The car is just out of warranty. I just turned 56k miles and the car is just over 2 years old so I’m praying I don’t have to do a service call.
I had similar issue and it happened while I was driving. Car kept saying rear right door is open. Didnt go away for 20 minutes. It was also raining so I wondered if that triggered it. I also have the autopresent handles and soft close mods. This morning I had an alarm trigger my car which is just in the garage. Definitely a mod issue. Dunno how to fix it. I installed a week ago