Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle issue.. does not pop out, door now opens on its own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I *think* this is a v3 door handle but I've had them replaced so many times I'm not sure.

The rear door handle no longer pops out, and the door now self opens whenever I get close with a FOB or whenever I put the car in park.

It also makes a grinding sound instead of closing.

What is the issue here? Stuck or broken paddle gear maybe?

Just brainstorming....

What would make the door open by itself? A sensor or switch closes on erroneous handle movement.
What would make the handle no longer pop out, and make a grinding sound? Paddle gear

I would suggest ditching the DIY mentality here, though.
I just got a door handle replaced, and the Service Centers seems to be sympathetic to our door handle dilemma. It is the second handle where they charged me parts only, with free labor. And, the first of the two handles was done by a mobile tech, after I beat myself and my wallet up for two months trying to DIY.

Reactions: philander
I *think* this is a v3 door handle but I've had them replaced so many times I'm not sure.

The rear door handle no longer pops out, and the door now self opens whenever I get close with a FOB or whenever I put the car in park.

It also makes a grinding sound instead of closing.

What is the issue here? Stuck or broken paddle gear maybe?

Can't you see which door handle version it is in service mode?

1000008510.jpg

Looks like the one that's broken is indeed a gen3... Now I am thinking it is a paddle gear. It's the one that says Gen 2.1/Gen 3.0

My driver front is unknown and also throwing a system error. Tesla replaced it less than a year ago.

Attachments

• 1000008510.jpg
    1000008510.jpg
    916 KB · Views: 9
I pulled the handle and took it apart. Nothing mechanically broken.

Redid calibration and although it presents fine, it gets stuck mid way with an object in handle error while it is retracting.

Seems like maybe the sensor inside the motor broke.

Attachments

• IMG_20240410_204245_615.jpg
    IMG_20240410_204245_615.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 4