Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fatal autopilot crash, NHTSA investigating...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other issue with the following part is that not everyone comes to the forum, or informs Tesla, that "hey, my AEB didn't act as expected"

Alleged defect: All crashes alleged to have occurred because Forward Collision Warning (FCW) or Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) did not occur when expected.

Alleged defect: All crashes alleged to have occurred because Forward Collision Warning (FCW) or Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) did not occur when expected.

I'm confused how a driver aid/ emergency assistance device can actually be the cause of an accident.

That is like saying, this accident occurred because my airbags didn't deploy... It's impossible because you can't have airbags deploy without an accident. Isn't the same thing true for aeb?

I'm confused how a driver aid/ emergency assistance device can actually be the cause of an accident.

That is like saying, this accident occurred because my airbags didn't deploy... It's impossible because you can't have airbags deploy without an accident. Isn't the same thing true for aeb?

The question is not what caused the accident, I believe the question is whether auto emergency braking functioned correctly. Of course I could be looking at this very specifically, but I don't think they are looking at Autopilot as the cause of the crash. They are looking at whether the car's systems functioned correctly and whether they should have better mitigated the impact.

The wording from that NHTSA document, "All crashes alleged to have occurred because..."

The wording seems clear to me.

Edit: I do admit that this is probably just semantics. Reading that NHTSA document you can tell they are conducting a very broad investigation.

Reactions: bhzmark
Picture of the accident scene.

From: U.S. safety agency seeks answers on fatal Tesla Autopilot crash

2016-07-12T183608Z_2_LYNXNPEC6B0Z0_RTROPTP_3_TESLA-AUTOPILOT-DVD_original.jpg

Another thread on non-fatal Model X crash against roadside wooden posts on Restricted 2-lane Country Road with no median divider in between.

2 Problems:

1) Incorrect use of Autopilot because "Autosteer is intended for use on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps."

2) Driver failed to correct the steering wheel.

It looks like more crashes will continue to happen until drivers learn how to use Autopilot appropriately.

image-jpeg.184848

image-png.184782

deemed operator error
A state trooper issued the driver a citation for careless driving. Given the time of night, the vehicle's speed, and the windy road, the officer felt the driver should have been more attentive, MPH told ABC News.

Ultimately, the safety of a car on autopilot is the driver's responsibility, Tesla said. Before autopilot is switched on, the in-car screen reminds drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and to remain prepared to take control at any time.

Driver Whose Tesla Crashed on Autopilot Issued Careless Driving Citation - News-Talk 1110 & 99.3 WBT

Aren't most to do with weather, mechanical, or pilots misinterpreting faulty instrumentation. eg. the AirFrance flight to SouthAmerica
Air France Flight 447 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
where the airspeed indicator (pitot tubes) indicated the plane was doing a different speed (100mph not 600mph) and the copilot caused an aerodynamic stall.
I recall that the pilot came back in and didn't audibly take control, the copilot pulled the stick in the opposite way to the pilot. Due to the electronic dual-controls (no feedback from the other pilot stick) the plane fought both of them.

Hmmm, just had a scary thought. A malevolent Tesla (or hacker) could upload new software telling cars to accelerate to top speed and crash deliberately. To think - even if you don't buy Autopilot the software is still in the car! Nothing is not computer controlled.

Yes there was a hardware problem initially, but when the problem came up, it was mishandling the situation by the inexperienced co-pilot who crashed the plane. Any competent pilot knows what to do in that situation. If you're instruments are telling you you're close to stall, you should put the nose down if possible and trade altitude for speed. The freezing up of the pitot tubes was also a known problem with that model of Airbus and the plane was scheduled to have the pitot tube replaced. The procedure to deal with a frosted up pitot tube was to descend to a lower altitude where the air was warmer until the ice melted.

The hardware problem was serious, but not in itself something that would have resulted in the plane crashing. It was the co-pilot doing the wrong thing that ultimately crashed the plane.

That particular accident would have been impossible on a Boeing aircraft. Airbus fly by wire doesn't tie the two control sticks together, so whoever grabs the control first has control and the other pilot has no feedback about what the other pilot is doing. The senior pilot should have ordered hands off the controls when he tried to take over, so that's a compounding error.

Boeing fly by wire systems have a servo feedback system to make the controls feel just like an old fashioned cable controlled plane. If one pilot moves the controls, the corresponding control on the other side moves so the other pilot can feel the action.

I worked on the 777 at Boeing which was their first fly by wire aircraft and our lab was where all the flight deck controls were worked out.

The wording from that NHTSA document, "All crashes alleged to have occurred because..."

The wording seems clear to me.

Edit: I do admit that this is probably just semantics. Reading that NHTSA document you can tell they are conducting a very broad investigation.
I see your edit, but it is probably just semantics. This is just a request for information. It is not a court document, so doesn't have to be written to match legal definitions of cause.

I can understand that the camera did not 'see' the tractor-trailer since it was white, it looked like sky, it was high up, it was side-on etc etc...

But how come the radar did not detect it and apply the brakes?

I just can't understand that.

-----

On another note - they ought to require tractor-trailers to have side curtains. Apparently that actually improves the wind resistance of the truck. But it also may assist the Tesla mobil-eye to 'see' it.

The AP (current version) is more for detecting traffic moving in the same direction not coming across your bow. It detects the forward movement in the right/left lane when indicating and adjusts speed according to a presence of a forward moving vehicle or no vehicle in that lane ie usually speeds up if overtaking slower car in front before actually moving across. It doesn't however show a car or react to a car coming in the opposite direction, just as it doesn't react to a pedestrian running across the road in front of you. If a truck comes out of the blue from your right or left and you are at speed it's ............. well we all know what happens. It would be like a parked car (which mostly do not show on screen) jumping a lane across instantly.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
In the main thread on this accident, knowledgeable people said that radar cannot detect stationary objects. It can only detect cars that are moving. This is due to lots of false detections if they do try to detect something stopped in the road.

IIRC, Tesla clearly states that autopilot cannot detect stationary objects in your path, or cross-traffic. AEB [automatic emergency braking] will attempt to detect stationary cars and cross-traffic, but cannot guarantee to do so.

Keep an eye [or two] on the road for these situations, exactly like you would with plain ordinary cruise control.

GSP