Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The solution is so simple that I'm surprised Elon hasn't thought of it yet.

Tesla just needs to push an OTA to all its vehicles that makes them drive perfectly, with 0 accidents regardless of driver attention, regardless of what type of road AP/FSD is used on, regardless of whether the driver responds in time to grab the wheel, etc.

Then, none of this recall/OTA/NHTSA investigation bull would be needed ...
Thats coming soon, two weeks...

I hope you washed your hands after pulling that "fact" out of where you pulled it :)

I'm complaining that rather than realizing what you quoted is factually wrong and apologizing for repeating misinformation- you just repeated it a second time-- then when called on it said the REAL info is PROBABLY similar.

Nothing has been disproven, so calling it "factually wrong" seems like hyperbole here. Perhaps you'd like to message the author to find out.

Reactions: fholbert
Nothing has been disproven, so calling it "factually wrong" seems like hyperbole here. Perhaps you'd like to message the author to find out.

Of course it has.

Your original post claimed

YOU said:
Tesla is only collecting data on around 18% of crashes that are reported to police

This is debunked by reading the actual NHTSA report linked after your post.

Instead it's a guess conflating several DIFFERENT measurements.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Probably been posted in 10 new threads already, so may as well just stick to an established thread, where it is tangentially related:

I have to say the headline video does not appear to be on Autopilot. I have seen regular Autopilot wave around a bit on some roads on some vehicles (a Turo I rented, recalibration did not help), but not that much. But Tesla must know whether it was engaged?

Tesla: "we count all crashes in which the incident alert indicated an airbag or other active restraint deployed."
NHTSA: "A review of NHTSA’s 2021 FARS and Crash Report Sampling System (CRSS) finds that only 18 percent of police-reported crashes include airbag deployments."
Tesla: "In the 4th quarter, we recorded one crash for every 5.39 million miles driven in which drivers were using Autopilot technology. For drivers who were not using Autopilot technology, we recorded one crash for every 1.00 million miles driven. By comparison, the most recent data available from NHTSA and FHWA (from 2022) shows that in the United States there was an automobile crash approximately every 670,000 miles."

🤔

Tesla: "we count all crashes in which the incident alert indicated an airbag or other active restraint deployed."
NHTSA: "A review of NHTSA’s 2021 FARS and Crash Report Sampling System (CRSS) finds that only 18 percent of police-reported crashes include airbag deployments."
Tesla: "In the 4th quarter, we recorded one crash for every 5.39 million miles driven in which drivers were using Autopilot technology. For drivers who were not using Autopilot technology, we recorded one crash for every 1.00 million miles driven. By comparison, the most recent data available from NHTSA and FHWA (from 2022) shows that in the United States there was an automobile crash approximately every 670,000 miles."

🤔
Now we have to use the argument that the miles driven are not the same to explain why the Tesla crash rate is higher (or roughly the same as) the overall crash rate. Autopilot (and Teslas) are driven on very dangerous roads! It's amazing that it keeps the crash rate on par.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MarkDave
I hope you washed your hands after pulling that "fact" out of where you pulled it :)

I'm complaining that rather than realizing what you quoted is factually wrong and apologizing for repeating misinformation- you just repeated it a second time-- then when called on it said the REAL info is PROBABLY similar.
Any chance you’re overly upset because of the users forum handle?

Inquiring minds want to know!

IMG_2896.jpeg