Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV parking priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You caught me. I was looking for but did not find the version that had the spinning arrow on a dial at the bottom, sort of a "Back in X minutes" type card. I do remember that one saying printing was funded by Saturn.
Even those old ones were *mostly* funded by the EAA. Somebody managed to get Saturn to cough up for the printing though, so that's good. They were all hand assembled in somebody's living room by volunteer labor. I have some new ones if you want one. :)

I've wondered this as well. Even if I could use the charger, do I have to be plugged in to park there? What if I don't need a charge? What if I'm only using it as privileged parking? Is that ethical? Is that legal? Two different questions.
One way that we're combating this is to NOT put EV parking spaces in the most coveted areas as has been the traditional way in the past. This solves several issues all at once (less likely to be ICED, less likely to piss other people off when they see the spots empty, and less likely for an EV to block another EV from charging because if this ethical issue... In the end, nobody is sure how it will be handled going forward.

Yes, I do actually - but I see all sorts of EVs without them in EV spots
As it stands right now, you MUST have that sticker, or according to the law you are just as illegal parking there as a gas car. EVEN if you are charging. The main reason is because we couldn't just leave the determination up to the parking enforcement of what is electric and what is not. Conversions are tough to tell sometimes! So you have to prove that you have E propulsion with the DMV to get the sticker. And that sticker then proves that you have the right to park there. And as you say, a very small percentage of EV drivers have that sticker. My Rav sports #28, and I sent in my registration the first day they were available! I don't know anybody with a number under 20.

zev_parking.jpg

Just like with HOV stickers there are guidelines to where you are supposed to place the ZEV parking sticker. I think people are a little lax about trying to follow the rules to the letter... But I also think that parking enforcement tends to be extremely lax about actually investigating cars parked in EV spots.

<Indy voice>Stickers... why did it have to be stickers?</Indy voice>

Seriously, I'd pay extra for a window cling option.

I would pay a lot extra if I could use a window cling instead.

In other ideas: I am thinking about trying to find some clear cling to go on the bumper like they use for rally races and advertising, and stick my stickers to that instead. Anybody have any ideas of where to get clear cling that could stick to the bumpers?

One way that we're combating this is to NOT put EV parking spaces in the most coveted areas....... you MUST have that sticker, or according to the law you are just as illegal parking there as a gas car. EVEN if you are charging.

I like the "less than prime rule". This will reduce a problem from within the EV owner community. If a spot is prime there is opportunity for abuse. Just because an EV owner has a sticker they might park in close just because they want to. This abuse is seen with people who sustain a leg injury and get a Handicapped card and continue to use it after completly healing.