Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Magic Dock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_5642.jpeg
IMG_5642.jpeg
I was recently at a Supercharger in New Jersey. Surprised this Mustang was able to charge there. Must be Magic Dock compatible. Owner had a heck of a time trying to get the cord to reach and ended up taking two spots. When he finally got it to reach, only one other car was charging so he thought it was ok. Within minutes others arrived and one had to wait. Not his fault cord didn’t reach. Both Ford and Tesla are offering this charging solution without having the proper equipment to support their customers. I believe this is going to cause a lot of ill-will among all EV owners. Perhaps the NACS plugs issued by other manufacturers should have an extension cord.

Wait till you see the F150 Lightning’s taking up 3 stalls 😂

there is so much variability around where the charge ports are placed on vehicles… it’s gonna be ugly.

Tesla has been, roughly, doubling the number of stalls in the US every 4 years since the model 3 began shipping. So even if they do not increase that rate, but they start adding longer cables and/or drive thru locations they can allow for different configurations over time without too much trouble. All cars get to use the new designs and the (much smaller number of) non-Teslas can have plenty of available stalls.
They will clearly have data on who charges where and be able to expand or retrofit as needed.

View attachment 1040776View attachment 1040776
I was recently at a Supercharger in New Jersey. Surprised this Mustang was able to charge there. Must be Magic Dock compatible. Owner had a heck of a time trying to get the cord to reach and ended up taking two spots. When he finally got it to reach, only one other car was charging so he thought it was ok. Within minutes others arrived and one had to wait. Not his fault cord didn’t reach. Both Ford and Tesla are offering this charging solution without having the proper equipment to support their customers. I believe this is going to cause a lot of ill-will among all EV owners. Perhaps the NACS plugs issued by other manufacturers should have an extension cord.
Probably has their own adapter. (Magic Dock allows any CCS car to use a Supercharger, but Ford and some other owners now have their own adapters so can use any V3 that has NACS charging (Tesla plug, CCS communication) enabled.)

The issue of cable reach is part of the reason Tesla removed the stops, to allow cars just to get a little closer.
Apparently Tesla is/was designing a version with an extension cord precisely because of this problem. That could help the CCS EV owners themselves as the need for extra spots isn't just bad for Tesla owners, it can prevent a CCS EV from charging between two other EVs.

I don't think it'll cause ill-will. Tesla owners know _why_ they were taking up multiple spaces. Non-Tesla people will ultimately learn to the rule to park as far to the right as possible and Tesla owners may park on the left to give non-Teslas more space.

A little late, but one of the solutions Tesla has implemented in its newest installations is positioning the charger unit between the cars, rather than at the very end of the parking stall. This allows cars to forward/back to position themselves for better reach. Simple fix, but not something Tesla can do retroactive to stations already in service. I can't imagine Tesla repositioning the charging units at all their sites.

Attachments

• Tesla.PNG
    Tesla.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
A little late, but one of the solutions Tesla has implemented in its newest installations is positioning the charger unit between the cars, rather than at the very end of the parking stall. This allows cars to forward/back to position themselves for better reach. Simple fix, but not something Tesla can do retroactive to stations already in service. I can't imagine Tesla repositioning the charging units at all their sites.

Also for cost reasons Tesla prefers to use back-in stalls. The pre-fab units are back-in.