Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Europe: Future Charging for Model S 1-phase or 3-phase? (Part 2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe they use the taillight side LEDs to show the colours, because those side lights are not compulsory for EU cars. If you look to the picture you can see that the color of the LEDs is not red but the same white as the LED ring of the american version. I'll bet they turn into green when the car is charging.

One interesting details is when you start to compare the different connectors
you can see that the Tesla is a mix between them and it also have an extra feature that the standard do not have
also when you look closely at the base of the connector it look like the metal is wider, suggestion that the Tesla Super Charger might be a deeper plug, this may also be the reason for the small tap on the top of the connector

(DC High)
pic_con_a_0047557_int.jpg

(AC/DC)
Type 2 - Default.png

(Tesla)
Type 2 - Tesla.png

RTEmagicC_ea655cf3c1_02.jpg

One interesting details is when you start to compare the different connectors
you can see that the Tesla is a mix between them and it also have an extra feature that the standard do not have
also when you look closely at the base of the connector it look like the metal is wider, suggestion that the Tesla Super Charger might be a deeper plug, this may also be the reason for the small tap on the top of the connector

(Tesla)
View attachment 24840
View attachment 24838
So DC-Mid, but beefed up to ~325A for 120kW @ 370V (pack voltage). (120.000 / 370 = 324)

That might suggest that you can also charge at QuickChargers which support DC-Mid (wishful thinking!)

Yes, and then the next question come
will try to get there modification approved, so it will be an official standard
as I do not believe there exist any cars/chargers that have the DC High connector (there may exist some experimental cars/chargers)

as it will allow car designers to use the small conector

Yes, and then the next question come
will try to get there modification approved, so it will be an official standard
as I do not believe there exist any cars/chargers that have the DC High connector (there may exist some experimental cars/chargers)

as it will allow car designers to use the small conector

If it proves to work and to be safe I don't see why it wouldn't be used by others. Then we could do away with the Frankenplug before it ever comes on use.

So DC-Mid, but beefed up to ~325A for 120kW @ 370V (pack voltage). (120.000 / 370 = 324)

That might suggest that you can also charge at QuickChargers which support DC-Mid (wishful thinking!)
Actually, from the images it looks like the Model S can charge at DC-Mid @56kW max (assuming 400V and 140A) without an adapter. That's actually not too bad, probably going to be typical of most non-Tesla quick chargers.

That makes for a good "harmony" between J1772 (AC/DC), the US Tesla connector, IEC 62196 Type 2 (AC/DC) and the European Tesla connector.

CHAdeMO is still the odd one out and basically if I understand correctly any such adapter will not be allowed for any country that adopts IEC 61851-1 into their laws.

Last edited:
Actually, from the images it looks like the Model S can charge at DC-Mid @56kW max (assuming 400V and 140A) without an adapter. That's actually not too bad, probably going to be typical of most non-Tesla quick chargers.

That makes for a good "harmony" between J1772 (AC/DC), the US Tesla connector, IEC 62196 Type 2 (AC/DC) and the European Tesla connector.
I used 370V as the charging voltage, not 400V, so that's why I came up with a lower number.

But Tesla already said they changed the Type 2 inlet to allow for SuperCharging, so probably longer / deeper pins to have more contact surface. Since SuperCharging will probably be 120kW here as well.

Thanks for the photo doug, great to see the port after all this time, although we did know what to expect.

You can see that the red side-marker lights on the US spec model have been changed to the charge indicator lights for the EU one, since we don't require the orange and red marker lights over here. I'm sure that will provide enough information combined with obviously being able to see the screens inside and the smartphone app.

Looking forward to seeing these cars on the road on this side of the Atlantic :p

Last edited: