Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: Model X Q2 Production 1,000 per week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wow point out that Elon makes some things up some times and you really rattle the natives

I do not work on wall street
I am not shorting/longing the stock
I do own a Tesla P85D

and I want Tesla to do better and believe Elon's statements do not always help and he's un-necessarily specific.

But feel free to discount me - and TSLA stock has not dropped in proportion to the market -

240 on 12/31/2015 (source Yahoo finance historical chart)
162 on 02/05/2016

240 - 162 = $78 share loss
78 / 240 = .325 - or a 32.5% loss in less than 60 days

SP 500 Index - CNNMoney.com

S&P 500 loss year to date is 8.02%

so it's lost 4 times more than the market

but wow - really wow - you all must hate me now - I'll remember not to share facts in the future that rattle your little EV cages....but I'll still enjoy my EV in the carpool lane in Silicon valley.

It rose from 180 to 280. Please don't ignore that. It's value is built on future value hence it will rise more and fall more than the market. If you want stability better invest in Google or Apple. And no banning needed. It's just a discission. Tesla isn't some misguided country banning things and people.

Quoting a stock price is ridiculous as support for your argument. Neither side should do that.

dortor4ev has some valid points: Everyone needs to accept that Elon consistently fails to communicate reasonable timeframes. He's overly optimistic to a severe fault, and as the vocal head of Tesla, probably ought to reign that in. I personally have not heard his "forward looking" statements bordering on criminal. Nothing quoted here would qualify. But they're certainly misleading if you don't discount them as "Elon time".

At the same time, he's leading the charge for something(s) pretty huge and meaningful. It's difficult, and he's going to make missteps along the way. We should absolutely point out the faults and accept the truth for what it is. While I think dortor4ev escalated the argument to a bit of aggression, the responses were also unfair.

Can we agree that Elon needs help with timelines? That Tesla does a lot of things exceedingly well, but could use improvement in other areas? I mean, there's a middle ground here, right?

Frustration level is justifiably high at present and I'll stand behind any who want to voice their frustrations.

To call someone a liar - as the OP has done repeatedly in this thread - and to aver flat out that there has been criminal activity, is at a level far above voicing frustration, however. That the OP has tried to couch his or her too-strong words by saying "...criminal...if he knows the words are false...impossible to prove" does not mitigate the inappropriateness of the wording.

Regardless, I will provide the OP an out, if s/he agrees to take on the following assignment:

* Please peruse with as fine-toothed a comb as you have done for Mr Musk the past four years' statements from each of the CEOs of the largest 25 US corporations, and let us know how their pronouncements fare according to your standards. I suggest we all take the Dowager Countess's words to heart:

Tell me, does it ever get cold on the moral high ground?

On edit: I apologize - not the OP but poster # 2: "doctor4ev"

Last edited:
Quoting a stock price is ridiculous as support for your argument. Neither side should do that.

dortor4ev has some valid points: Everyone needs to accept that Elon consistently fails to communicate reasonable timeframes. He's overly optimistic to a severe fault, and as the vocal head of Tesla, probably ought to reign that in. I personally have not heard his "forward looking" statements bordering on criminal. Nothing quoted here would qualify. But they're certainly misleading if you don't discount them as "Elon time".

At the same time, he's leading the charge for something(s) pretty huge and meaningful. It's difficult, and he's going to make missteps along the way. We should absolutely point out the faults and accept the truth for what it is. While I think dortor4ev escalated the argument to a bit of aggression, the responses were also unfair.

Can we agree that Elon needs help with timelines? That Tesla does a lot of things exceedingly well, but could use improvement in other areas? I mean, there's a middle ground here, right?

Well said ohmman

I like most of Elon's ideas, and he is quite good at predicting the future, but is extremely lousy at providing an accurate schedule and reasonable estimates. He also tends to engage in overdesign and does not respect people's investments in his products - by rev'ing them so quickly and so often he routinely accelerates depreciation of his customer's capital purchases and disrupts the market by claiming to deliver technologies that really can't be delivered on a schedule or to the fantasy specifications he claims.

Worst argument I've ever heard of maximizing value for the consumer.

Meanwhile, the Model S is the #1 selling luxury sedan in the US and also the only luxury sedan in the US to increase in sales from 2014 to 2015.

Sorry you lost money on TSLA. That doesn't make Tesla a bad company, or Elon a bad CEO.

S&P 500 loss year to date is 8.02%

so it's lost 4 times more than the market

TSLA has lost about the same amount as Google, Amazon, Ebay, Twitter, and a whole host of other major tech stocks in the same time period. And Facebook is having explosive revenue growth.

What do you expect? It's a high beta stock. It's acting exactly like every other high beta stock right now. Its stock price, by the way, has performed better than most major automakers in the past 12 months. Even from a stock argument, very little water is held.

I have significant unrealized losses right now in TSLA, but that's not going to make me go around and bashing the company. Tesla is an incredible, amazing company that has and will continue to significantly change the world. The fact that investors have lost money is not going to change that.

Elon doesn't make anything up. He is, however, sometimes overly enthusiastic about what can be done and on what timeline, and sometimes may even be wrong.

The stock price is quite volatile and bounces quite a bit. There's money to be made there, if you have money to invest and carefully pick the buy and sell points. You just have to have faith that the company won't go belly up, which isn't too hard when you recognize the passion, commitment, and talent they have.

I'll remember not to share facts in the future that rattle your little EV cages

If by "facts" you mean things you are making up or misconstruing so you can be outraged, then sure, you are sharing facts.

a5fd9f50473ea78ab4a5668771803996dfaebe931facffc060a9c530337dc7e7.jpg

Last edited:
Elon says

1. Model X will be available later half of 2014
2. Powerwall will install summer 2015
3. Model X was not delayed by Falcon wing doors (then they sued the original designer and switched in May 2015)
4. Model X was introduced and ready for production in Sept. 2015
5. There will be ludicrous mode upgrade for Model S's - mine is still not delivered and "no time is available" according my m Server Center in sunnyvale
6. The original Model S would drive 300 miles
7. The P85D would go 280 miles and was more efficient than a single drive car
8. Tesla would never release a car that wasn't as good as the concept car - lack of 2nd row folding seats vs. the concept that had 2nd row folding seats
9. Tesla would ship close to 58,000 cars in 2015 - later revised down to a lower 50k number
10. The Model III will be unveiled in March - now revised to some sort of partial unveiling
11. The company is 100%n focused on the Model 3 - factually incorrect given all the late breaking engineering issues with the X
12. Employment numbers of the giga-factory - now shows to be grossly overestimated
13. Reliability of the Model S drive train - actual reliability data shows that 2/3'rds of the drive trains are being replaced in the 60,000 mile range - not a customer problem, but certainly an ongoing reliability problem and cost to the investors and company in general
14. The original P85D delivery schedule - later delayed due to lack of next generation seats
15. There won't be a major revision of the Model S for at least a year - 6 months later the "D" is introduced
16. Any of the supercharger roll out schedules - while they have rolled out it's much slower than Elon indicated it would be
17. How long it takes to charge at a super charger - much slower when you're sharing a supercharger with another Tesla
18. Battery swap stations
19. come on people - there's a lot more - let's turn this thread into "Lie's Elon told me and I believed!"

I'm not saying Tesla doesn't accomplish things - some of them are even true - but quite often the timeline is materially different than what was indicated and the technology or plan is introduced with the most optimistic schedule that rarely bares any resemblance to reality and often delayed with foreseeable obstacles or lack of resourcing that is readily apparent to most anyone at the time it leaves Elon's mouth.

forgive me if I do not believe a word that comes out of Elon's mouth.

Okay so Elon has stated multiple times that he's optimistic, so when he makes statements like #1 that's assuming that nothing major goes wrong.
For #2 I think that because production of the powerwall shifted from the Fremont factory to the Giga-factory which delayed it a couple months.
#3 What do you mean, the Model X is the most ambitious car that Tesla has ever made, the doors are the most complicated part about it. Tesla had to switch providers because the original one made promises that they didn't keep, this definitely delayed the MX.
#4 Technically yes it was, I think the delay was because Elon felt pressured by investors to reveal the car and promise deliveries in 2015, if he wasn't pressured i'm sure he would of delayed a bit longer to polish up the assembly line. But in the end they did start deliveries in 2015.
#5 I don't know enough about your SC to comment.
#6 That's technically true, people have driven it over 400 miles.
#7 pretty sure at highway speeds it is because they are different "gears" so they're more efficient at different speeds, but I could be wrong about this one. #8 Thats completely up to opinion. #9 Like I said Elon is an optimistic guy :wink: .
#10 Elon probably doesn't want to make the same mistake as he did on the MX when he unveiled it, it had many of the same characteristics of the MS but now a lot of the design is changed like the nose. This doesn't mean the Model 3 is behind schedule, certain design elements still need to be figured out.
#11 Don't know when he said this.
#12 I've heard reports of this too but in the end this doesn't seem very significant to Teslas overall goal.
#13 We really don't know if the motors are being pushed over their limits from aggressive drivers or if they are defective, if they are i'm sure Tesla is working on or has already implemented a fix.
#14 I believe they get their seats from another provider (correct me if i'm wrong) so it's not entirely their fault... oh and did I mention that Elon is optimistic?
#15 Not sure when he said that.
#16 The supercharger roll out has been on point so far, I think they made a decision to focus resources on other projects rather than put superchargers in locations that wouldn't get a lot of use.
#17 Sure but that's usually three cars or more, and Elon isn't lying about the charging rates.
#18 this was an idea that Elon had but when implemented never saw the use he expected and wasn't worth the money to build one at every supercharger.
#19 What has this thread turned into? I expected everyone to be super eXcited when I posted this but apparently people have a beef with Elon, besides Tesla has been fairly on point with estimating the production rate of their cars and so i'm confident in Teslas ability to ramp production.

- - - Updated - - -

I absolutely 100% agree with you, Elon has a good excuse to make mistakes seeing that he runs two multi-billion dollar companies and both of them are extremely ambitious.

Okay so Elon has stated multiple times that he's optimistic, so when he makes statements like #1 that's assuming that nothing major goes wrong.

#19 What has this thread turned into? I expected everyone to be super eXcited when I posted this but apparently people have a beef with Elon, besides Tesla has been fairly on point with estimating the production rate of their cars and so i'm confident in Teslas ability to ramp production.
I concur. That's why I used my IGNORE button for a certain poster... He could have simply started his own, separate, rant thread instead of attempting to 'correct' those of us who happen to be Kool-Aid Drinking, Over-the-Top Optimistic, Tesla Motors Certified Apologist Fanboys. Y'know, like ME. ;-)

Kudos to those of you who attempted to address every line of his lengthy list of aggressive disgust with Elon Musk. I believe I already did so, months ago, in the Model X forum at the Tesla Motors website. I have to watch my blood pressure and stuff, so its best I don't reply to him directly anymore. Ever.

Awesome. So how about we switch to all those EVs that Audi claimed would be out by now? Or the VW clean diesels? How about that Cadillac with Autopilot? Or the Hydrogen future that Toyota is promising? Hyundai gas mileage? That awesome i8 which is more expensive, slower, smaller and less efficient than the Model S? Buy the electric Fiat? The one the CEO pleads that you don't actually buy? Oh wait, why don't you opt for the Mercedes with over the air upgrades?

The company is pushing the boundaries of the whole industry. Sometimes it takes longer and is harder that they expect. This is called innovation.

Just wait for your perfect Lexus EV. I'm sure it will be here in about 10 years.

I concur. That's why I used my IGNORE button for a certain poster... He could have simply started his own, separate, rant thread instead of attempting to 'correct' those of us who happen to be Kool-Aid Drinking, Over-the-Top Optimistic, Tesla Motors Certified Apologist Fanboys. Y'know, like ME. ;-)

Kudos to those of you who attempted to address every line of his lengthy list of aggressive disgust with Elon Musk. I believe I already did so, months ago, in the Model X forum at the Tesla Motors website. I have to watch my blood pressure and stuff, so its best I don't reply to him directly anymore. Ever.

Well I don't even know where the ignore button is :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome. So how about we switch to all those EVs that Audi claimed would be out by now? Or the VW clean diesels? How about that Cadillac with Autopilot? Or the Hydrogen future that Toyota is promising? Hyundai gas mileage? That awesome i8 which is more expensive, slower, smaller and less efficient than the Model S? Buy the electric Fiat? The one the CEO pleads that you don't actually buy? Oh wait, why don't you opt for the Mercedes with over the air upgrades?

The company is pushing the boundaries of the whole industry. Sometimes it takes longer and is harder that they expect. This is called innovation.

Just wait for your perfect Lexus EV. I'm sure it will be here in about 10 years.
Let-s-Drink-To-That.jpg

Well I don't even know where the ignore button is :confused:
I was being rather facetious, but here are the instructions for this site:

Click on the name of someone whose posting history you find offensive.

Choose the option to 'View Profile'.

Click the link that reads 'Add to Ignore List' that appears on the left.

You will be taken to a confirmation screen that asks "Are you sure you want to add [SOME DUDE] to your ignore list?"

Choose the YES button that appears on the right.

Done!