Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric vehicle battery capable of 98% charge in less than ten minutes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RSpanner

Sep 3, 2021
Oregon

Electric vehicle battery capable of 98% charge in less than ten minutes​

Enovix also demonstrated its US-made silicon anode lithium-ion batteries can charge 0% to 80% in five minutes.

Anyone following this?

Enovix also demonstrated its US-made silicon anode lithium-ion batteries can charge 0% to 80% in five minutes.

Anyone following this?

yea, I recall reading that a few weeks ago. I saw it discussed somewhere else on here. Unless I am forgetting, I don't recall them saying the size of the battery. What is it? Like 1 Watt? 😁 It is interesting, yet unfortunately not anything produced yet.

Anyone following this?

There's many research outfits working on cell chemistry which could handle much higher rates of fast-charging.

So far, I see two huge hurdles:

1: Most of the new chemistries end up compromising on lifetime or energy density in order to get fast charging - this is not as simple as just magically finding a new formulation that insta-charges

2: Assuming you did find a magic cell that charges 10x faster, has no thermal issues at those levels, is just as energy dense and long lived as existing technologies... now you need widespread availability of Mega-watt level fast chargers to actually be able to try and charge that fast. Existing superchargers top out at 250 KW, and are already having to liquid cool their cables...

Interesting article and I very much like the possibilities..I will be watching.

Enovix Ships Commercial Batteries from Fab-1 Production Line​

Jun 21, 2022
Download PDF

Enovix Ships Commercial Batteries from Fab-1 Production Line​

Enovix Ships Commercial Batteries from Fab-1 Production Line
Enovix Co-Founder, President and CEO Harrold Rust
FREMONT, Calif., June 21, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Enovix Corporation (“Enovix”) (Nasdaq: ENVX), the leader in the design and manufacture of next generation 3D Silicon™ Lithium-ion batteries, today announced it has shipped its first commercial cells for revenue.​
“Due to the resilience, innovation and customer focus of the entire team at Enovix, we’re pleased to announce we have shipped our first commercial battery cells out of our factory in Fremont, Calif.,” said Harrold Rust, Co-founder, President and Chief Executive Officer of Enovix. “This milestone marks the culmination of more than 14 years of hard work developing and qualifying our revolutionary technology and a first-of-its-kind, fully automated production line. We’re focused now on meeting the high demand for our battery by continuing to scale production at our Fab-1 site, while at the same time, executing on the design and procurement of our Gen-2 production lines. I couldn’t be prouder of the team.”
Shipping commercial cells is the next milestone in the company’s growth. Earlier this year, Enovix announced it delivered qualification cells to customers.
“With the start of commercial production, Enovix customers now have the opportunity to realize a meaningful advantage over their competition, while companies that take a wait-and-see approach, sticking with legacy battery designs, risk being left behind,” said Cam Dales, General Manager and Chief Commercial Officer at Enovix. “Over the coming months and years, we look forward to accelerating our output to serve customers with advanced batteries that can uniquely enable their next-generation devices.”

Attachments

• harrold-first-commercial-cells-fab.jpg
    harrold-first-commercial-cells-fab.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
If it was that easy, those products would be found in cars today. Look how long its taking to get the 4680 battery to scale to support current/future Tesla production. 4680 scaling is primarily an engineering/manufacturing issue. No new chemistry/technology required. Just process. Imagine how long it will take to make enough new technology batteries to build 1-10 million cars per year. I could have 1- 500 mile, 5 minute charge battery in prototype today, and it would take 4-8 years to get mfg to scale to 2 million cars per year at a cost of $20 Billion or more. Who has that kind of cash laying around? Not GM!!! If its a real possibility, you will find it in Tesla first.

Reactions: sleepydoc
If it was that easy, those products would be found in cars today. Look how long its taking to get the 4680 battery to scale to support current/future Tesla production. 4680 scaling is primarily an engineering/manufacturing issue. No new chemistry/technology required. Just process. Imagine how long it will take to make enough new technology batteries to build 1-10 million cars per year. I could have 1- 500 mile, 5 minute charge battery in prototype today, and it would take 4-8 years to get mfg to scale to 2 million cars per year at a cost of $20 Billion or more. Who has that kind of cash laying around? Not GM!!! If its a real possibility, you will find it in Tesla first.
Through the history of technology there have been plenty of ideas that create breakthroughs in capabilities but are not scalable and/or are cost prohibitive to manufacture. The key is to find a design that does both.

Most of these reports are Press Releases from companies wanting to lure additional investors to their next magic battery.

Manufacturers need more than just charging speed. They need price, capacity, packaging, safety, history, and above all, the ability for the company to provide in the volumes they will need to ramp up their production.

A new concept for low-cost batteries​

Made from inexpensive, abundant materials, an aluminum-sulfur battery could provide low-cost backup storage for renewable energy sources.

The new battery architecture, which uses aluminum and sulfur as its two electrode materials, with a molten salt electrolyte in between, is described today in the journal Nature, in a paper by MIT Professor Donald Sadoway.

That be great, then my friends who say gas cars are better because it fills up faster will have less to complain about on EV road trips.

And then my friend can finally live his dream to wait at the most crowded In n Out without charging the car. Because it be almost identical to him having a gas car.