Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop 40k on a Tesla or invest 40k in Tesla stock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't ignore the role you might play as an owner as an EV evangelist. I talk about my 3 often. I make a strong case, I think, for why 40k on a car that NEVER needs repairs belts chains check-ups oil emissions gas or plugs and will last 1 million miles. The time and money I save. The peace of mind that I won't have a $4,000 repair out of nowhere to fix a slipping transmission. The insane handling, quality and acceleration. I put people in the driver seat every chance I get. That I don't always point out it's a Performance, I take as a burden of sin I will be happy too bear.

Buy car and talk about it. To anyone who will stand still.

You must be a new Tesla owner thinking it needs no repairs. Also no Tesla made today is going to last 1M million miles without many repairs and new packs. Wait until your warranty is over. I have a new dash, steering wheel, all new passenger seat and that's at under $3K miles. The 3 is not a "quality car", this is my 3rd Tesla FYI.

You must be a new Tesla owner thinking it needs no repairs. Also no Tesla made today is going to last 1M million miles without many repairs and new packs. Wait until your warranty is over. I have a new dash, steering wheel, all new passenger seat and that's at under $3K miles. The 3 is not a "quality car", this is my 3rd Tesla FYI.

I've had better experience with my Model S than my Toyota and Porsche in the past. I have not been to the service for two years since mine was out of warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Don't ignore the role you might play as an owner as an EV evangelist. I talk about my 3 often. I make a strong case, I think, for why 40k on a car that NEVER needs repairs belts chains check-ups oil emissions gas or plugs and will last 1 million miles. The time and money I save. The peace of mind that I won't have a $4,000 repair out of nowhere to fix a slipping transmission. The insane handling, quality and acceleration. I put people in the driver seat every chance I get. That I don't always point out it's a Performance, I take as a burden of sin I will be happy too bear.

Buy car and talk about it. To anyone who will stand still.

Well, you are really stretching it.
Your car will still gearbox oil changes, antifreeze changes, brake fluids, refrigerant, axles shafts/CV boots, ball joints, brakes, struts/springs, sway bar links/suspension bushings, wiper blades, tires, unit bearings, rotor bearings, axles seals and on it goes if you want to make serious miles.
Plus a battery at some point.
I always explain that an EV will not need any maintenance related to gas engine cars but it is still very much a car, and everything else applies.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
No it isn't. Look at the stock performance this year. It's terrible. Would not count on it.

I run into this often with new investors. They think the previous performance of a stock somehow indicates it's future performance. If this were true, all one would need to do to beat market averages is to buy the stocks that performed the best over the last (insert your own period of time here).

Past performance is not much of an indicator of future performance, especially when looking at time periods as short as a year. I also wouldn't buy TSLA based upon its superior 8-year performance. If you had bought Tesla 8 years ago you would be up over 700%. That's more than 25% each year, compounded.

Your car will still gearbox oil changes...

Nope. The Model 3 never needs gearbox oil changes. There is no abrasive material in the gearbox from clutches, clutch packs or missed shifts (gears grinding). It has an oil filter to capture any manufacturing debris and is kept cool enough that it will never burn the oil. It will easily last 1 million miles and Tesla does not recommend changing it, ever, unless it's in a flood or is otherwise contaminated.

Nope. The Model 3 never needs gearbox oil changes. There is no abrasive material in the gearbox from clutches, clutch packs or missed shifts (gears grinding). It has an oil filter to capture any manufacturing debris and is kept cool enough that it will never burn the oil. It will easily last 1 million miles and Tesla does not recommend changing it, ever, unless it's in a flood or is otherwise contaminated.
There has to be venting because the fluid expands and contracts with temperature. The questions are "Is the venting filtered" or "Is there a sealed expansion chamber". If not, dust gets in which is abrasive. In dusty locations, with open venting, it can easily get contaminated enough in 50K miles to require a change (based on actual measurements from other cars).

There has to be venting because the fluid expands and contracts with temperature. The questions are "Is the venting filtered" or "Is there a sealed expansion chamber". If not, dust gets in which is abrasive. In dusty locations, with open venting, it can easily get contaminated enough in 50K miles to require a change (based on actual measurements from other cars).

Nope. In normal conditions, it doesn't need replacement. The oil is filtered and the gearbox breathes very little. If a bit of dust gets in there, the oil filter will filter it out. Check the Owner's Manual for recommended maintenance. The gearbox doesn't need you messing about with it. Even after 500,000 miles, it should be clean as a whistle in there. The lack of extreme heat is why the oil is good for the life of the drive unit.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden and EVDRVN

i have used other systems...Ap1 is made by mobileeye..and they can sell it to anybody. Ap3 is marginally better than Ap1. If and when FSD becomes a reality, then we will see. So far they have released 2 videos with no details and had youtubers drive in an FSD on autonomy day. Remember tesla operates on Musk standard time.

It will lose its shear properties. The gearbox will see to that.
And it will accumulate moisture. Heating and cooling will see to that. Especially for us northern drivers.
That is why it should be changed.
As a mechanic I would say every 100,000 km. There is precious little fluid in there. Much like any other transfer case.
Tesla recommended or not. $20 bucks worth of oil is nothing.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
Your car will still gearbox oil changes, antifreeze changes, brake fluids, refrigerant, axles shafts/CV boots, ball joints, brakes, struts/springs, sway bar links/suspension bushings, wiper blades, tires, unit bearings, rotor bearings, axles seals and on it goes if you want to make serious miles.
Plus a battery at some point.
I always explain that an EV will not need any maintenance related to gas engine cars but it is still very much a car, and everything else applies.

Got a new half shaft on my S at 22K miles, had the steering fixed 3X with the shim issue. We all know about the many S motor issues, motors are supposed to be the most reliable mechanical component in an EV. I predict many seat, trim and materials failures on the recent 3's as a result of poor material quality and fitment. Comes with the territory.

It will lose its shear properties. The gearbox will see to that.
And it will accumulate moisture. Heating and cooling will see to that. Especially for us northern drivers.
That is why it should be changed.
As a mechanic I would say every 100,000 km. There is precious little fluid in there. Much like any other transfer case.
Tesla recommended or not. $20 bucks worth of oil is nothing.

No oil change required ever on the Prius drive except when the oil becomes acidic after aging it etches the windings on the traction motor which then short together and make for one big issue.