Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop 40k on a Tesla or invest 40k in Tesla stock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't think the Model 3 will fare as well as the Model S in terms of minimal battery degradation after 100,000 miles?
Having owned several EVs the laws of physics are the laws of physics. Go read up on the history of battery degradation it is inevitable. My MS with 55k miles is at 14% after 3 years.

I have another EV from 2015 similar actually less degradation than Tesla.

Ther are too many factors that influence degradation. There are a lot of new owners of 45k Model 3s who have been sold that they will have 95% range after 100k miles It get to be seen, the closest long range tests we have are the Tesloop cars and none are 3s. When you pay $130k for a car and lose 14% battery life and 60% of the value of the car, it makes you rethink the value of the company and if you were sold snake oil. I am still a long on $Tsla...but company has to deliver. They got $2b coming from fiat and hopefully model y preorders are over 50k..let’s hope for the best.

Having owned several EVs the laws of physics are the laws of physics. Go read up on the history of battery degradation it is inevitable.

Your claim wasn't that some battery degradation was inevitable, all EV buyers know the battery will stay brand new forever. Even fossil engines get less range with wear and tear, become gradually less powerful and pollute more, and eventually wear out to the point that fixing them costs more than they are worth. Your claim was that battery life/degradation was a competitive headwind. Not only does the data not back that up, it supports that the battery life of a Tesla is a competitive advantage.

Is this the data you wanted me to "look up"?

Or do you want me to only focus on the small percentage who have had less than typical longevity and then call that the "important" data?

I have another EV from 2015 similar actually less degradation than Tesla.

Since when is a sample size of two considered "data"?

I had this scenario several years ago, and while my old car which I have continued to drive (instead of getting a new car) is a real money pit and source of discomfort, I can afford to fix it easily and was even considering buying a Tesla for my Grandma with TSLA stock. But I think it's a personal decision, you gotta do what is right for you. And it's worth remembering that while risk of bankruptcy is pretty small there is always a small risk, and there's a decent risk that if you invest today the stock could always go down for years before recovering. The best example imo is Amazon, where the stock price was higher in 2000 than at any point until like 2012ish if I remember right, anyway, a very long time. I doubt that exact scenario is where TSLA is going but there's always a chance.

There were people who seem not understand what's great about Tesla's self driving technology others don't have. This is a great summary of the 4/22 event and what has followed that. The best 30 minutes one could spend to get some good understanding on that.

I agree. This is a great intro to know what's going on behind the scenes. Even someone with considerable knowledge about autonomy can learn from this video. I love the way the Hyperchange host talks quickly and skillfully uses language to convey information very efficiently.

Huh???? You try not to let people to watch the one I posted?

WoW! After watching that video, it's crystal clear why evalst2018 wouldn't want anyone else to watch that Hyperchange video. It's incredibly info rich and has some good quotes from the leading autonomy developers showing which way the industry is moving. Fascinating stuff.

Ironically, it looks like the Hyperchange video incorporates the short full self-driving video posted by evalst2018 (the Hyperchange host was riding in the car with the development FSD software).

Reactions: CarlK
WoW! After watching that video, it's crystal clear why evalst2018 wouldn't want anyone else to watch that Hyperchange video. It's incredibly info rich and has some good quotes from the leading autonomy developers showing which way the industry is moving. Fascinating stuff.

Ironically, it looks like the Hyperchange video incorporates the short full self-driving video posted by evalst2018 (the Hyperchange host was riding in the car with the development FSD software).

Top third party experts seems to be all on Tesla's side now. Most surprising is that includes the guy who was the original Google/Waymo Lidar tsar who started this whole thing a decade ago.

Reactions: StealthP3D
So let me get this straight, the guy is able to get a rocket into space, and deploy 60 satellites that orbit the globe providing internet, and no one has done this before. Boeing has but they have to build a new rocket every time wasting millions of dollars. And wall street is worrying that he can't fix the spending problems at Tesla. Makes no sense.

Reactions: IdaX
So let me get this straight, the guy is able to get a rocket into space, and deploy 60 satellites that orbit the globe providing internet, and no one has done this before. Boeing has but they have to build a new rocket every time wasting millions of dollars. And wall street is worrying that he can't fix the spending problems at Tesla. Makes no sense.

And some people actually try to convince other people that the entire company is a Ponzi scheme with fraudulent accounting.

In my experience, the Bernie Madoff's of the world do not deploy 60 satellites in a single launch and recover the launch vehicle.

Reactions: IdaX
It's not really an or. An investment and a purchase are 2 different things.
It's not really 40k either, it's a matter of cost of capital.
You can trade on margins or go with options, you can do lease/loan with a car.

Is the car a necessity, what's the cost of ownership, including the cost of capital.
On the investment side, there is a risk and reward.

If you need a car, Model 3 at 40k sticker price is not that expensive to own at all. Is it the right car for you, can you afford it, that will depend and you don't need 40k to acquire it.
Is the stock a good investment, can you more than cover the costs of a loan. If you invest your capital for decent returns,, it's likely better to not waste it on big purchases and go with leasing or loan.

You only need a few k$ to acquire both the car and options that are the equivalent of 40k$ in stock- risk is minimal in this scenario, a few k lost.