Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the range ever go up during regenerative braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep regen on Standard for both city and highway driving.

Interesting. Will have to find a place to try higher speeds on some steeper roads. The 16% is my driveway, but I don't do over 25 mph, because the steep part is in the turn. Looking at Maximum Grades on Colorado Mountain Passes, I know that I have done Hoosier Pass at 8% without a problem, but it's pretty twisty there, so I don't know if I have hit 50. As stated at the end of that page, there are some 15% sections at the top of Mt Evans and I know that regen will handle the descent except for slowing down enough into some of the turns, but there is no way to do 50 there either.

BTW, when we did the many MS's to 14,000 feet on Mt Evans, many of the drivers regened 15-20 rated miles in the 7,000 foot descent over 28 miles into Idaho Springs. Slow speed and thin air both help!

Interesting. Will have to find a place to try higher speeds on some steeper roads. The 16% is my driveway, but I don't do over 25 mph, because the steep part is in the turn. Looking at Maximum Grades on Colorado Mountain Passes, I know that I have done Hoosier Pass at 8% without a problem, but it's pretty twisty there, so I don't know if I have hit 50. As stated at the end of that page, there are some 15% sections at the top of Mt Evans and I know that regen will handle the descent except for slowing down enough into some of the turns, but there is no way to do 50 there either.

BTW, when we did the many MS's to 14,000 feet on Mt Evans, many of the drivers regened 15-20 rated miles in the 7,000 foot descent over 28 miles into Idaho Springs. Slow speed and thin air both help!

Isn't that just brilliant.

Imagine all the troubles of ICE cars, hot brakes, using low gear, just to generate a lot of friction and heat to keep the car slowed down - while up the mountain, it uses a huge amount of fuel, and often has trouble running the air con without overheating.

EV with proper regen: Put most of it back in the battery.

I would compare that to a bank account:

ICE: Save up a load of money, then PAY to get rid of it

EV: Save up a load of money, get most of it back

Maybe there is a better analogy - comparing to renting vs buying a house maybe?

In any case, this car has so many advantages over ICE cars, even hybrids (although not advantages to those that make a living off parts and repairs)