Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does any else regret buying a Model X?

Do you regret buying a Model X!

• Yes

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • No

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • Have not received my Model X

Votes: 45 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bravo Darryl for speaking up and speaking out. Nobody deserves to be treated with indifference. Nor should anyone have to accept substandard quality because some business plan calls for changing the world. If substandard quality was the norm, there would not be Consumer Protections in place such as Lemon Laws for vehicles. It sounds like you finally reach a person of reason and I hope they comb through your vehicle and resolve all issues. Financial compensation AND an additional 4 year/50,000 mile extended warranty sound like they are both in order.

As far as owning the stock, you may want to view your experience through the eyes on the mass market. Ask yourself what the expectations of the target market is for the Model III. Will they be buying it as a early adapter? Will they be buying it as a share holder? Will they be buying it as a trail blazer? Will they be buying it for the tax credit? Or will they be buying it after comparitive analysis of features, safety, comfort, affordability and functionality?

What will happen to Tesla if the early Model S rollout issues and the early Model X rollout issues happen to the Model III? What happens if they experience what you and hundreds of other MX owners have experienced? My guess is disaster! Why, because the target market for the Model III is the heart of America: middle income, hard working people who have limited free time, limited finances, use their new vehicle for everyday family necessities and would fail if they had unreliable transportation. The Model III will be a commodity item in a highly competitive marketplace that any early missteps will quickly steer the masses to other choices.

I cancelled my MX because I will not compromise my vehicle desires. I bought a used MS because I want to give Tesla a try for the curiosity of being all electric. I will not be reserving a Model III because my past business experiences tell me that there is only a small chance the the Model III rollout will be any different, and I would rather wait after seeing the past rollout.

Only time will tell, as past performance does not predict future results. But, the past can't be erased or easily forgotten.

Mike

I wish I had never purchased a Tesla Model X P90DL.

Purchasing a Tesla was suppose to be a great experience. Up until now I was ok with the three year delay as I was going to get one of the best car ever made.

My car arrived at the SC the first week of February and I was scheduled to pick it up a week later. One of the first production cars off the line.

I then got a call saying there was going to be a delay because a computer module had to be replaced. It was causing the lights to flicker. I felt a sickness in my stomach but realize there are occasionally problem with any car.

The repair took another ten days and I was rescheduled to pick up the car the following week. I was a little less happy with Tesla but since I was still getting my car in February and since there are others who have had horror stories I was ok with it. When I went to pick it up I found some minor problems but in all it was ok. All the paperwork was signed and I was waiting for them to charge it enough so we could get home. I was thinking to my self I am finally going to get my Tesla then my DS came out and told me I wasn't going to be able to take it as they found a cracked charging port. I was a lot less happy with Tesla.

Ten days later they rescheduled delivery. Our appointment was at 1PM and the car wasn't ready until 3:45PM as it needed a software download. My DS was busy with another customer and then we were told she was on the phone. We never even saw her the 3:00 hours we were there waiting for the car. Why they couldn't upgrade the software before we got there I am not sure. Finally I had my car and I had a feeling of relief as I had never thought this day would come. My opinion of Tesla was a lot less than two months earlier but It was still ok.

I drove it seven miles to the Detailer to get an XPEL coating. Even though I had reported the problem with seal leaking around driver's window it still wasn't fixed. On Saturday the Detailer starting to prep the car. Sunday morning the Detailer called saying the driver door wouldn't stay closed, the lock wouldn't engage. I called Tesla and because it was the weekend they said the SC would call me first thing Monday morning. Since no one had called by 10:30 I called them.p, again poor customer service. They sent someone out by noon. They called around 1pm saying there was a faulty locking mechanism and they would have to order the parts. This means another ten days without the car. My opinion of Tesla was dropping fast.

You don't expect these kind of problems when you buy a $155k car. You don't expect these kinds of problems when you buy a $30k new car.

I am not sure it is my service center which is the problem or Tesla. I have seen some videos where when a person picked up their New Tesla Model c the SC had a red carpet and all of the employees clapped. This was to make the customer feel Tesla appreciated their business and these SCs seem to understand the importance of customer service. I am sure some people have picked up their Tesla Model with no delays and no problems.

I have never felt appreciated at my SC. I have not even felt they cared one way or another that I purchased the car from Tesla. My service center is 65 miles away from my house and the next closest one is 100 miles away. I have had many expensive cars during my life, none was $155k, but several over $100k. I have never regretted those purchases. I don't even remember having to take any of these in for repair accept for normal maintenance and service recalls.

At this point I regret purchasing the Tesla as I am not sure it is going to be a reliable car. Where we had a buyer for our Jaguar XJ8 I decidedi today not to sell it as I can't afford to be without a car.

I decided enough was enough and called my SC and ask for the service manager. I found out the service manager position was vacant and the Manager in Tampa was covering for both centers. I called and he was not available. I was told he would call me back. Based on my experience with Tesla so far I was expecting him not to call back but an hour later he called. He was very nice and took all the information. He did say what had happened with all of these issues shouldnt be happening. He is suppose to call me back this afternoon with an update.

At this point I regret buying the Tesla. this may change over time but that is how I currently feel. This is coming from a person who owns a considerable amount of Tesla stock.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. One thing is consistent about Tesla - they ALWAYS make things right. Sounds like San Diego service center is the opposite of yours - those folks are like guardian angels and never rest until things are perfect with your car.

The first time when I was suppose to take delivery they didn't offer me a loaner. The second time when I was suppose to take delivery they provided me with a Model S P85. Today they told me no loaners were available. So one out of the three times they had a loaner for me to use.

I wish I had never purchased a Tesla Model X P90DL.

Purchasing a Tesla was suppose to be a great experience. Up until now I was ok with the three year delay as I was going to get one of the best car ever made.

My car arrived at the SC the first week of February and I was scheduled to pick it up a week later. One of the first production cars off the line.

I then got a call saying there was going to be a delay because a computer module had to be replaced. It was causing the lights to flicker. I felt a sickness in my stomach but realize there are occasionally problem with any car.

The repair took another ten days and I was rescheduled to pick up the car the following week. I was a little less happy with Tesla but since I was still getting my car in February and since there are others who have had horror stories I was ok with it. When I went to pick it up I found some minor problems but in all it was ok. All the paperwork was signed and I was waiting for them to charge it enough so we could get home. I was thinking to my self I am finally going to get my Tesla then my DS came out and told me I wasn't going to be able to take it as they found a cracked charging port. I was a lot less happy with Tesla.

Ten days later they rescheduled delivery. Our appointment was at 1PM and the car wasn't ready until 3:45PM as it needed a software download. My DS was busy with another customer and then we were told she was on the phone. We never even saw her the 3:00 hours we were there waiting for the car. Why they couldn't upgrade the software before we got there I am not sure. Finally I had my car and I had a feeling of relief as I had never thought this day would come. My opinion of Tesla was a lot less than two months earlier but It was still ok.

I drove it seven miles to the Detailer to get an XPEL coating. Even though I had reported the problem with seal leaking around driver's window it still wasn't fixed. On Saturday the Detailer starting to prep the car. Sunday morning the Detailer called saying the driver door wouldn't stay closed, the lock wouldn't engage. I called Tesla and because it was the weekend they said the SC would call me first thing Monday morning. Since no one had called by 10:30 I called them.p, again poor customer service. They sent someone out by noon. They called around 1pm saying there was a faulty locking mechanism and they would have to order the parts. This means another ten days without the car. My opinion of Tesla was dropping fast.

You don't expect these kind of problems when you buy a $155k car. You don't expect these kinds of problems when you buy a $30k new car.

I am not sure it is my service center which is the problem or Tesla. I have seen some videos where when a person picked up their New Tesla Model c the SC had a red carpet and all of the employees clapped. This was to make the customer feel Tesla appreciated their business and these SCs seem to understand the importance of customer service. I am sure some people have picked up their Tesla Model with no delays and no problems.

I have never felt appreciated at my SC. I have not even felt they cared one way or another that I purchased the car from Tesla. My service center is 65 miles away from my house and the next closest one is 100 miles away. I have had many expensive cars during my life, none was $155k, but several over $100k. I have never regretted those purchases. I don't even remember having to take any of these in for repair accept for normal maintenance and service recalls.

At this point I regret purchasing the Tesla as I am not sure it is going to be a reliable car. Where we had a buyer for our Jaguar XJ8 I decidedi today not to sell it as I can't afford to be without a car.

I decided enough was enough and called my SC and ask for the service manager. I found out the service manager position was vacant and the Manager in Tampa was covering for both centers. I called and he was not available. I was told he would call me back. Based on my experience with Tesla so far I was expecting him not to call back but an hour later he called. He was very nice and took all the information. He did say what had happened with all of these issues shouldn't be happening. He is suppose to call me back this afternoon with an update.

At this point I regret buying the Tesla. this may change over time but that is how I currently feel. This is coming from a person who owns a considerable amount of Tesla stock.
The delay is of 2 years. Pre-delivery problems can occur with any car. The SC was keeping you in loop with the "computer module" problem. It is an example of good communication. This is why I think Tesla gives less information about certain things. You were "a little less happy" from Tesla due to this info. I think they should have just told you that they are prepping the car up and wont give any other info. Now, the cracked charging port should have been found out by Tesla before they called you take delivery. This is justified criticism. The software download also should have been done before they called you. Poor customer service by Tesla. About seal leaking, they might have not detected the issue by themselves and might not have the replacement seals. Now, the problem with your door was magnified because you had the car at the detailer. The auto doors are a new feature and they are going to face problems in the beginning just like any new technology. I find this criticism to be unjustified. I don't know what your expectations were when you ordered a new product with extraordinary new features. All new technologies face problems in the beginning. If you wanted a perfect car maybe you should have purchased a Model S since Tesla has perfected it over the years. The red carpet and clapping were a nice gesture but expecting them to do the same with every customer is extremely unjustified. They are a car company so criticise them for that and not for not clapping their hands. I found the title of your post and the fear of the car to be unreliable to be unjustified. Surely, it will have some problems in the beginning but Tesla will deal will all the problems. Once again, if your appreciation for bleeding edge technology is low and you have low tolerance for problems with new features you could have waited for Tesla to sort out problems with X or could have bought a Model S.
I consider your post to be unjustified criticism of Tesla.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bravo Darryl for speaking up and speaking out. Nobody deserves to be treated with indifference. Nor should anyone have to accept substandard quality because some business plan calls for changing the world. If substandard quality was the norm, there would not be Consumer Protections in place such as Lemon Laws for vehicles. It sounds like you finally reach a person of reason and I hope they comb through your vehicle and resolve all issues. Financial compensation AND an additional 4 year/50,000 mile extended warranty sound like they are both in order.

As far as owning the stock, you may want to view your experience through the eyes on the mass market. Ask yourself what the expectations of the target market is for the Model III. Will they be buying it as a early adapter? Will they be buying it as a share holder? Will they be buying it as a trail blazer? Will they be buying it for the tax credit? Or will they be buying it after comparitive analysis of features, safety, comfort, affordability and functionality?

What will happen to Tesla if the early Model S rollout issues and the early Model X rollout issues happen to the Model III? What happens if they experience what you and hundreds of other MX owners have experienced? My guess is disaster! Why, because the target market for the Model III is the heart of America: middle income, hard working people who have limited free time, limited finances, use their new vehicle for everyday family necessities and would fail if they had unreliable transportation. The Model III will be a commodity item in a highly competitive marketplace that any early missteps will quickly steer the masses to other choices.

I cancelled my MX because I will not compromise my vehicle desires. I bought a used MS because I want to give Tesla a try for the curiosity of being all electric. I will not be reserving a Model III because my past business experiences tell me that there is only a small chance the the Model III rollout will be any different, and I would rather wait after seeing the past rollout.

Only time will tell, as past performance does not predict future results. But, the past can't be erased or easily forgotten.

Mike
Wow!! You just mentioned the Lemon Law because the bleeding edge auto doors had a few problems in the beginning. That surely is an overreaction. People make money in market and lose money in market. Just like the perception and expectations from X will define the experience of an owner, their perception of X and 3 will govern their chance of earning money by investing in Tesla. You are right to have cancelled your X. It's better to wait rather than go into the purchase with false expectations and then being miserable. However, I disagree with your opinion about Model X and Model 3. Both of them are going to be a success IMHO.

So I'm a huge Tesla fan and booster, and am psyched to be picking up my X tomorrow. I love being an early adopter, love to have the latest and greatest, and obviously that comes with compromises and potential pitfalls.

BUT, there is no excuse for the kind of poor customer communications we've seen since the X was announced. None! You can be innovative and creative and different and risk-taking and push the bleeding edge further than anyone else has in forever, and STILL engage in basic communication with customers. Those are not mutually exclusive concepts. That's Tesla's achilles heel! People like us will put up with a lot of crap to be on the bleeding edge, but there are just so many of us, and if Tesla really wants to grow the way it does and change the world the way it wants, then it's gonna have to learn to treat customers as if it values them.

Because if it can't even treat its relatively few $150K customers properly, how the heck is it going to treat 500,000 Model 3 customers properly? The last thing we need is for Tesla to become the Comcast of the automotive world, best known for piss-poor customer service.

So I feel for the OP. While most of us thankfully haven't been treated as shabbily as the OP, most of us have had to deal with poor communication and information from the company, and it just needs to be resolved. You don't change the world by treating your biggest fans and evangelists like dirt.
They can't give any info when they don't have any info to give. If they are having some problems with a product there won't be any info to give to the reservation holders. And Tesla's case is extremely unique. A significant number of people have invested their money, time and effort to ensure that it will fail. Tesla need to keep them in mind too while they are dealing with their customers. Any info they might give about the problems with the production of car might be misunderstood by some customers and might be misrepresented in media by some vested interests. You are mistaken in your fear of Tesla becoming the Comcast of car world. I will just ignore this comparison.

I am so sorry to hear about your experience.

As an owner and a shareholder, it hurts in two ways: I love my car and hope that everybody can have a similar experience as me; and I cringe at what could happen to my investment if they don't get their act together fast.

I hope that this can be a consoler: I have had some problems with my MS. They have been minor, but rather annoying: air suspension, mirrors, doors, pano, others. The one thing that I can say for sure is that the service has been nothing short of spectacular. Even better than Apple. I have commented on it before. But it continues. And many others have had this experience.

You have bought a brand new technology. Oh boy, can it be frustrating! But when you finally have some time with her, you will fall in love.

Again, I am so sorry that you have to deal with this stuff.

There is another guy who posted something very similar so it doesn't seem to be so unusual.
Although forums are made for people to comment on the issues they have and when they have none, they don't post. So who knows how many other Darryl's have had great experiences with their MXs?

Reminds me of:
"Hi, I'm Larry. This is my brother Darryl and this is my other brother Darryl".

Darryl-
Thank you for your honest thoughts. This board is not worth much if someone can't be honest about their situation and express what they are feeling. I live in Naples and am a 110 miles from the closest SC. I am a little worried as well. My car is due next month. If I were in your situation I would be an unhappy camper as well. I am reading a book called "Losing the Signal". It is a history of RIM and the Blackberry. Their products were unsurpassed for reliabilty and performance. They became the most valuable company in Canada with market cap exceeding $70B

The company was the fastest growing company in the world for about a decade. What killed them was delivery of a new phone to compete with the iphone that was of poor quality. Verizon had to replace the first million phones they sold. They have never recovered. My hope for Tesla is that they can get the quality issues dealt with soon at the factory and customers won't see them. But it is even more imperative I think, that they jump all over the issue in the field as soon as they become aware of them.

I am an old retired fart and for the last 20 yrs or so, I have bought a new high end car just before the one I have goes out of warranty. Right now I drive a BMW 7 Series Active Hybrid. I have owned multiple BMW's, Jag's, Mercedes, Lexus, and Infinitis. With the exception of the Mercedes, are were fine cars of great quality and performance that I enjoyed and that served me well.

That is my expectation for Tesla as well. I will be holding them to the same standard that you are, although I do hope I don't have problems and can be a cheerleader for the company. I also hope your issues are resolved very soon. I am going to mention you to my DS and tell him about your commitment to this group and your past help to other members, and suggest they really ought to do something for you. Good luck!

The first time when I was suppose to take delivery they didn't offer me a loaner. The second time when I was suppose to take delivery they provided me with a Model S P85. Today they told me no loaners were available. So one out of the three times they had a loaner for me to use.
Wow that's awful. Any top tier dealership (Porsche, Ferrari, etc.) would have a flat bed to get your car to the dealership and back after repair. They should have rented a car for you.

In the last 2 years I have been wanting to own a Tesla, I have visited the local showrooms and service centers a few times. I can tell confidently that the experience is not always the best.

When I needed a new car in Dec 2014 I took a Model S out for a 24hr extended test drive. First, they gave me a 60KW car which needed a recharge on both ways to my a place 120 miles away from home. That pretty much upset my wife and Model S was not a choice anymore for us! The next day, the manager of the SC calls and was literally yelling on the phone because it was close to the return time and I was not back at the SC. Here I am a potential $100K car buyer with an active reservation for Model X and the manager treats me like I stole his car. The very next weekend, I took a BMW i3 for a 2 day extended test drive and the way they dealt with me was so professional and what you would expect when you are dealing with a premium product company.

I feel because Tesla only deals with products at the the high dollar mark, their customer service has become complacent of that. What feeds this behavior is also the perceived demand. But this behaviors is really what brings a brand down. End of the day it does not matter whether they sell a 10K car or 100K, if the customer does not feel the car is worth it the price will have to come down. By keeping the experience premium the company can continue to enjoy high price. My experience has shown that management is not paying close attention to how customers are being handled. They need to fix this or they will soon be selling only "affordable" cars.

Full disclosure: Ordered a Model X, waiting for a late Apr- early May delivery.

This is just rude. What possible motive do you have to say something so presumptuous?

He is all over the place in TMC, & TM, I glance at his post and just let it pass. The only place you don't see him is in the TM private posts:D. He chants the same language like a poojari ( Priest) whenever THE OWNER writes an honest post in distress. Like MikeJr74 mentioned look at his signature, you will sing the FROZEN song...let it go..let it go...so pathetic.

Like the others, I'm sorry to hear about your issues.

One lesson (probably too late for all of us) is that only people who live very close to service centers should plan to get early models. Imagine if you lived 2-3 hours away.

2-3 hours away is exactly my situation and is why I was able to delay my delivery. However, if I had had a California delivery, I am pretty sure Ohmman would have been correct about it being too late.

He is all over the place in TMC, & TM, I glance at his post and just let it pass. The only place you don't see him is in the TM private posts:D. He chants the same language like a poojari ( Priest) whenever THE OWNER writes an honest post in distress. Like MikeJr74 mentioned look at his signature, you will sing the FROZEN song...let it go..let it go...so pathetic.
Wow!! Your post is extremely personal and offensive. I am glad you have been ignoring me. Please don't make exceptions like this.