Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you plan to reserve a Model 3?

Do you plan to reserve a Model 3?

• YES! can't wait to start driving electric!

Votes: 71 28.3%
  • YES! My current Tesla(s) need a friend.

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • YES! My other EV(s) are nice but a Tesla would be AWESOME!

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Hmmm.... Maybe....

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • No... I'm happy with my current Tesla.

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • No... I'll wait for a used or CPO car

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • No... not ready for electric yet...

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope the M3 is a compelling car and I may be happy to get one. But after sitting on a Model X reservation for nearly 2 years I think I'm really not a "car reservation" kind of guy. I went through the Nissan reservation stuff too with LEAF in 2010/2011, and when they seemed intent on screwing that process up, I gave up and canceled. I waited another 9 months or so and was able to simply walk into a dealer and drive one home. I think that will be my approach from here on out -- i.e., I think I'd prefer to wait until they've made enough that people don't have to get on a waiting list.

It will depend on 1) The condition of the Leaf, and 2) what shape my finances are in. I won't be replacing my Model S with a Model 3 unless there is some terrible problem (which I don't anticipate).

Tesla Model 3 To Be Unveiled On March 31st http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-debuts-march-31st-higher-options-cars-made-first/

Tesla Model 3 Debuts March 31st, Higher Optioned Cars Made First

Tesla hit on just about all cylinders when announcing Q4 results after the bell on Wednesday, and the Model 3 was no exception.
Tesla CEO: Model 3 Entry Level Car To Be produced First – Premium Version Later

Fulfilling an earlier promise my CEO Elon Musk to show off the EV in March, Tesla announced the actual reveal date.
And in true Tesla style, it will be a last minute affair – March 31st.
The company also re-iterated this week that the 200 mile EV will also have a pre-incentive MSRP starting from $35,000.
Given past history, we had assumed that Tesla might prioritize the more heavier optioned/higher priced Model 3 orders, pushing back those looking for the entry level model…as it had done with both the Model S and Model X. Update: Tesla will indeed release more expense versions ahead of entry level cars.
“Our default plan as we have done in the past is that the initial sales are relatively highly optioned versions of the car, because we’ve got to pay back the investment of the tooling and everything, so it makes sense to have the higher optioned versions first. That’s what we did with the S and obviously again with the X.”
So, it appears that the “everyman’s” affordable Tesla will have to wait at least until 2018.
However, Musk did note there was some issues/confusion with the wider media on early Model X pricing reports, as initial Signature Series models misrepresented the true price. We should note that the “pricing pain” might have been a bit self-inflicted, as Tesla did not release any other trim or pricing information on the all-electric SUV until long after the Signature pricing was announced.

Tesla also said that production and deliveries were on track for late 2017.
If there was bit of not-so-good news, it also came from the press conference, where Elon Musk said the company likely won’t be showing “all their cards”, meaning we may only be getting some initial looks at the EV, but not all the specs. Despite that, Tesla will also start accepting deposits on the Model 3 at the same time.

So now the question is - do I head down to the Tesla store on 3/31 and it my deposit down in person before I see however much Elon is going to reveal, or do I sit until the following day and do it on line?

With the deposit being only $1000 I can see a lot of people reserving one whether they need it or not just to save a spot in line. I will likely encourage friends and family members to reserve one, but I can't see reserving one for myself unless there's something compelling about it besides the starting price. My Model X won't even be delivered by then, and I see no reason I'd want to trade it in for a small sedan in less than 2 years.

Would I consider getting a Model 3? Of course. Will I reserve one? Absolutely not.

I have a rule of not getting in line for or buying a car that I haven't driven... plus, I'd rather wait a year or two for them to shake out any production/design issues. I may pick up a Model 3 toward the end of 2019, I may pick up a second Model S, I may get something completely different, or I may just keep our spare car as is rather than replacing it. There are too many unknowns at this point to bother speculating as to what the preferable option will be, so I'll just kick back and enjoy the 70D while I wait.