Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do folks ask you if you work for Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also get asked this question all the time. But then. Who does tesla use for marketing their cars? US. The owners. We know more about the product than some of their sales people. I was in a local galleria a few weeks back and was talking to a gentleman about the model s. At the very end of our conversation he says ok sign me up. I said oh sorry I don't work here I'm just an owner stopping by for a charge. He said well you should. You just sold me a car.

I have had the opposite experience. Not having the car or the jacket when I speak to people and they hear how much I know, and how excited I am they say, "you should work for Tesla".

Even happened in Tesla showroom. I took my friend. He and the sales women were in the front of the car and I was in the back seat leaning forward between them. I was pointing out the features, and my friend asked some questions and I answered before the sales person could. At one point my I mentioned something that Elon had said the day before in a live QA in Europe (I had watched talk online). It was new info to the sales woman and she said "you should work for Tesla" (in a nice way, not like she was put-off by me, more like she appreciated a fan when she saw one).

Same issue with me. I have a TM corporate jacket that I generally do not wear. I however do get the "you should work for Tesla" line a lot due to my enthusiasm, geekiness, and understanding of the technology and company.

Same story for me, I don't wear Tesla gear ever, but have been asked if I work for Tesla and then told I should when I respond "no". I would love to sell Teslas when I retire, like Klaus! (kvietor)

All the time. I take it as a compliment that I must give off that impression by my enthusiasm for the car. My wife and daughter wish I would go work for TM so that I would talk to someone other than them about the car, the company and TMC !!

What I find more than people asking if I work for Tesla is that most people cannot help but asking about the car EVERY single time I see them...

"How's the Tesla?!?"

The perks of being an early adopter...I am forever identified by my car.

I've gotten it many times, be especially at the hockey game last night when I was hanging out by the Model S in the concourse. Many of us are quite hard core Tesla fans and can't help ourselves, and rational people assume that we must work for the company to know so much I suppose. I have trouble living by my wife's challenge to "talk 20% less" when it comes to Tesla...

I get asked all the time, and I'm sure it's mostly because when a tourist asks me about my car (I'm in Waikiki all the time) I produce an informational postcard that has the Model S vital stats and benefits that another Hawaii member had made. They ask "Do you sell these?". In a manner of speaking, I guess the answer is yes.

Could you or your friend please share this informational postcard? Maybe as a PDF?

Thanks!

Alan

I get asked all the time, and I'm sure it's mostly because when a tourist asks me about my car (I'm in Waikiki all the time) I produce an informational postcard that has the Model S vital stats and benefits that another Hawaii member had made. They ask "Do you sell these?". In a manner of speaking, I guess the answer is yes.

I was in a bar in San Diego the other night wearing my jacket, and one of the wiseacres I was with told some guys I was a "founder". I spent the rest of the night deflecting questions, job solicitations and requests to purchase design software :eek:

Could you or your friend please share this informational postcard? Maybe as a PDF?

Thanks!

Alan

Hi Alan. There were various threads of people making their own informational cards.
Here's one:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-my-Model-S-handout-business-info-cards/page3

I would actually like to see an updated one that has some newer information, like the Consumer Reports highest-rating-ever results, the NHTSA crash test results showing it as the safest passenger road vehicle ever produced, etc...
In the link above I think you can grab the file directly from a dropbox link, but might be worth looking at some of the other threads by using the search and see if you find one that's better.

Here's another:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/14687-My-handout-to-the-curious-gawkers-and-fans

Last edited:
I live in Arizona and don't get many opportunities to wear my Tesla jacket out in public. On a recent trip over the holidays, I wore it to the airport. Yep, in the line waiting for security and TSA clearance, I got Teslaed. There's no escape from that line, so I put on my Tesla grin, and started talking.

I have had the opposite experience. Not having the car or the jacket when I speak to people and they hear how much I know, and how excited I am they say, "you should work for Tesla".

Even happened in Tesla showroom. I took my friend. He and the sales women were in the front of the car and I was in the back seat leaning forward between them. I was pointing out the features, and my friend asked some questions and I answered before the sales person could. At one point my I mentioned something that Elon had said the day before in a live QA in Europe (I had watched talk online). It was new info to the sales woman and she said "you should work for Tesla" (in a nice way, not like she was put-off by me, more like she appreciated a fan when she saw one).

I got that remark when someone from Tesla's Supercharger team overheard me explaining to a curious person why the Model S handles so well in ice or snow.
(Traction control, regen, weight distribution etc.) I was shopping for a high performance AWD when I stumbled onto the Model S. I never looked back.

I'm asked if I work for Tesla when I wear the jacket. Their eyes light up when I say that I don't work for Tesla and I got the jacket for my birthday while I was waiting for my car to arrive.
Then the Q&A session begins.