Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disaster while supercharge was down!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a disaster story for me. I have been a Tesla customer since 2018 and had never encountered a supercharging issue until this past Sunday. After dropping off my kid at Western, I headed to the London Supercharger but was disappointed to find that the entire station was down. I only had 80km left, which was far from enough to drive back to GTA. To make matters worse, I discovered that the nearby Woodstock Supercharger was also down.
Thankfully, I found a destination charger at a nearby hotel, but it required 8 hours to charge my car. Therefore, I had no choice but to stay at the hotel. Interestingly, the London supercharger went back online at 11:45PM.
Well, at least I got a good night's sleep and a fully charged car out of this supercharged adventure!

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Can your car take 48A? The chargers I linked to could have given you closer to 10kW. All you needed was to get back to Cambridge SC, not all the way home. Less than an hour of charging L2 charging.
I thought most Public level 2 would only gives me 32Amp. At least that hotel destination charger only gave me 32Amp. NVM, “You live and you learn” I will remember to bring my Chademo converter next time on the road. Same supercharger location has Ivy level 3 (free for now), and nearby Canadian tire has Flo level 3 (20$ per hour). Both have Chademo and CCS combo connectors.

Reactions: Lon12
It's a disaster story for me. I have been a Tesla customer since 2018 and had never encountered a supercharging issue until this past Sunday. After dropping off my kid at Western, I headed to the London Supercharger but was disappointed to find that the entire station was down. I only had 80km left, which was far from enough to drive back to GTA. To make matters worse, I discovered that the nearby Woodstock Supercharger was also down.
Thankfully, I found a destination charger at a nearby hotel, but it required 8 hours to charge my car. Therefore, I had no choice but to stay at the hotel. Interestingly, the London supercharger went back online at 11:45PM.
Well, at least I got a good night's sleep and a fully charged car out of this supercharged adventure!
Does it not show status or availability of the Supercharger station (on the app or car navigation) before heading to it?
Screenshot_20230301_184744_Tesla.jpg

I thought most Public level 2 would only gives me 32Amp. At least that hotel destination charger only gave me 32Amp. NVM, “You live and you learn” I will remember to bring my Chademo converter next time on the road. Same supercharger location has Ivy level 3 (free for now), and nearby Canadian tire has Flo level 3 (20$ per hour). Both have Chademo and CCS combo connectors.
The car in your signature can take up to 48A, depending on the capability of the L2 charger. Many (eg Flo) are only 30A, but many Tesla destination chargers are wired for 48A for those who can take it.

Reactions: richyrich
Next time you are going to Western there is now a supercharger in Exeter which is quite close . Thanks for sharing your story!
I had seen that on the map. I had 80km left and drive there needs 50KM, it is a bit risky. At that night, my mind was messed up, I did not realize I could charge at Level 2 for a while and then find a nearby supercharger...ops...