Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I saw guy sleep in his car to charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at an arcade (Round1) in Las Vegas and this place has free Volta chargers around the mall. I went at night and there was a security officer asking someone about sleeping in his car. He said he was charging his car and sleeping in there. I thought this must have been the most inconvenient thing someone could do to get free charging or he had no choice and this was the only way he could get a charge.

If I lived nearby, I'd probably hope I live only 2-5 miles away and I could ride an E-scooter to access a far out free charger. And try do it every single night. I did this once on a 3-4 day trip to Arizona my friend's apartment happened to be about a mile away from a free overnight ChargePoint with no restrictions. Because it did work overnight and it wasn't blocked off because this shopping center did barricade the shopping center after 10pm-12am but not the one near the Carls Jr. Because of that I was able to commute without worrying where to charge during the day, being topped off at 100% everyday since we be back at his apartment every night. And there was a Tesla supercharger in case that free chargepoint wasn't an option like if it was all full.

But no one was using it at 12am so it was good for me, I was like the only car there. I would never want to sleep in my car just to charge. I'll use an E-scooter so I can try access free charging if it's nearby where I'm sleeping and hoping it's only around or less than 1 mile.

I've slept in my Model S multiple times while charging. At the time, I was traveling for work and living out of crappy hotel rooms, and honestly, the car was a nicer place to sleep. Now, I didn't sleep the whole night, but stopping at the charger and napping while it charged was a perfectly pleasant thing to do.

Reactions: SSonnentag
My arcade friend and my parents doubt owning an EV I believe is the hassle of charging. And I also refuse to sit in my car to charge because it feels like I'm wasting my time to get cheaper energy than gas. My arcade friend thinks his time is so valuable but all he does is resell arcade prizes but it isn't enough for him to rent an apartment.

But as long as you can plan your stops to do something while charging then it's not bad. And having an E-scooter in the car helps alot because you won't be restricted to visit walking distance places, you can still go to a Dave and Busters that's on the other side of the giant mall or across the street then be back in time to unplug it to avoid idle fees.

Last edited:
A nice snooze/nap while charging rocks.
My frunk has everything I need. I find a shopping cart, set up my grill and sell food to other people charging.

IMG_1456.jpeg

I live in NY. Before I travel I drop my car off at a free L2 charger Bruno my bike and ride the 4.5 miles home then back. Free exercise and charge. I do it a few times a year. Now they opened a 60kw/h charger that’s free for now so I go once every 3 weeks and charge since I’m low on solar credits.

That person, if not a local to Vegas, maybe saving more than just free charging. Parking $18, hotel $150, resort fee $45, and that's over $200 saving! 😆

I figured out free parking in Las Vegas and everywhere else. I park at a free parking hotel the Venetian and ride my E-scooter to the hotel I'm staying usually Ballys, Paris, PH. Then charge my Tesla for free if charging was available. But Venitian isn't free anymore so it's probably going to be Treasure Island which is the only mid strip hotel with free parking.

I have no idea why the E-scooter parking hack hasn't caught on people still willing to pay $20 for parking day when they could just take an E-scooter in their car and never pay parking again. Most stadiums like Sofi stadium enforced permit parking on walkable 10-20 min distance areas but not E-scooter distance parking. The E-scooter can cover 1 hour walking range in 10 minutes. I feel parking should start charging less since we could all just take E-scooters in our cars.

Some people can't ride E-scooters so that's a problem, but that means less competition. But also means less incentive for city parking to drop their rates.

Parking at tourist destinations around the world is such a cash grab scam, I'm surprised it's not regulated.

Like, $50 or more to park outside at a meter.

Ya I agree, but my E-scooter hack has been working out so well for me to never pay $50 for parking. I do this all the time for Sofi stadium, especially the city made a bunch of new rules making once walkable free parking non existent now. If you park 1.5 miles away from Sofi stadium you will guaranteed to find free parking that have plenty of spaces during event days.

If we all did it then all those $50 parking should be something more reasonable like $10-$20.

Ya I agree, but my E-scooter hack has been working out so well for me to never pay $50 for parking. I do this all the time for Sofi stadium, especially the city made a bunch of new rules making once walkable free parking non existent now. If you park 1.5 miles away from Sofi stadium you will guaranteed to find free parking that have plenty of spaces during event days.

If we all did it then all those $50 parking should be something more reasonable like $10-$20.
What does one do with a 30lb scooter once you've arrived at your destination?

Reactions: Rocky_H