Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you have a front license plate installed in WA?

What did you do for front license plate?

• Tesla installed front plate

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • No front plate

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • Automatic hide front plate kit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Manual hide front plate kit

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Zip tie or other solution

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No front plate on this or my previous car. Nine years total experience; one stop, no ticket or warning. Jack

FWIW, similar experience here. Never stopped; just once got the question when pulled over. I recall when car performance can be affected in WA a front plate is optional; and that is such as subjective thing that I never had an officer even engage in the conversation. You have to have the other plate in the car though. Great excuse to show off the frunk?

Bellevue sc put mine on with zip ties below the nose cone. No holes!

The Bellevue Service Center said that they will no longer do the zip tie trick. They got word from "upstairs" that they can't do it anymore. They were not clear as to why this is the case, but they could be worried about consequences if it is stolen, blocking airflow or whatever.

Be aware that in the vicinity of the Centralia Superchargers they will not let cars that do not have front plates slide by. There is small town police and young, recently graduated State Patrol is in the area. They can get bored down there.

For those like me who have not attached a front license plate, Seattle Police are out in force on 4th Ave S, issuing tickets for anything and everything, including not mounting your front plate. They just issued me such a ticket, despite having the plate and mounting hardware there to show them. Another officer issuing a ticket nearby stated that due to three years of pressure from the City of Seattle to issue more tickets, they now have a "quota" (his word, which police usually avoid admitting), and that SoDo is the quickest place for them to reach it. (The officer was munching on a snack of some kind both during the ticket and 15 minutes later when I had to locate him again to re-write part of the ticket that I could not read in the carbon copy, which he blamed on inferior carbon paper that the City gives them.) So, when driving near the Seattle Service Center or between there and Costco, beware.

The 'Law' from Torklift Central in Kent is nice. They'll even install it for free with an appointment if you wanted. I leave it on so not sure how easy it is to remove and put back on every day if you wanted.

It sounds like they won't install it for free talking with others.

Last edited:
No problems @ the border. I've only done it once without front plate but as I understand it, Border Security is not traffic enforcer. They could careless about Washington DOT rules. I've done it with expired tabs (not proud of it) also.

Was I ever in the minority at the Tesla gathering at the LeMay car museum Saturday. Mine was the only Model S out of 8 parked together out front that had a front plate. Tessie stood out like a sore thumb. There were 8 Roadsters--I believe they all had front plates.