Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use the OEM front license plate holder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i love in a state that requires a front license plate. I was thinking of just using the OEM one. I've read that it's possible that some of the aftermarket ones on Amazon may block / limit the amount of air that comes into the car and potently cause problems. Has anyone used the front OEM one and are happy with it?

Also, what do you all use for your black plate holder?

Here in SoCal, a front license plate is also required. However, it's been so long that I can't remember the last time I had a car with a front plate.

same in texas.

it's required to have a front plate but i haven't had a car with front plates in a very long time.

only got pulled over once for not having one and that was in the late 90s and i was driving a souped up civic.

also got ticketed for other "non street legal" accessories on the car. 😄

I use the Quick Bandit and love it. Easy to remove when you want to wash the bumper. Made in California by a small company. Great customer service.

Reactions: Autonerds
Um. I'm in NJ. They require front license plates in this state. We've had three (3) Teslas here, the first a M3 in 2018, the second a MYin 2021, and the third a M3, (replacing the first) in September 2023.

I've mounted and used the Tesla-supplied license plate holder on all three.

There's been zero problems with the holder popping off, and this includes summers, winters, rainstorms, near-hurricanes, snowstorms, running up and down interstates at speed, and the occasional pothole.

The holder uses some pretty blamed impressive 3M sticky tape to hold itself onto the bumper. It attaches a few inches below the air intake, so it's hard to see how it blocks any airflow. I suppose it does disturb the smooth, aerodynamics of the front bumper; but any license plate holder is going to do that. The actual license plate uses four screws to attach to the front of the holder.

In order to get through various car washes, I snagged the Tesla-branded frames that came with the car and put that around the front license plate, the better to prevent the plate. from bending. In the rear I've got some aftermarket stuff that looks like a circuit board that my daughter laughingly got us. After trimming it a bit so the State and some other text that was half-hidden wasn't so half-hidden.

I don't quite get why people get these aftermarket piles of stuff from the likes of Amazon. What comes with the car seems to work fine.

Here in SoCal, a front license plate is also required. However, it's been so long that I can't remember the last time I had a car with a front plate.
I'm in NorCal. Been driving without a front plate for almost 30 years. I also been driving with illegal front side window tint for 30 years. In CA, you're not supposed to put any aftermarket tint on the front windows. I just don't make it overly dark. I'm not worried about being pulled over.

Reactions: Skavatar
I'm in NorCal. Been driving without a front plate for almost 30 years. I also been driving with illegal front side window tint for 30 years. In CA, you're not supposed to put any aftermarket tint on the front windows. I just don't make it overly dark. I'm not worried about being pulled over.
You’re just a rebel!

I’ve been know to remove tags from my pillows.

IMG_2111.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2109.jpeg
    IMG_2109.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 23
I use the OEM mount. I have no plans to wrap the car. I bought the SnapPlate and the TesFram mounts but never installed them. I was concerned about the SnapPlate falling off, and the TesFram damaging the grill, and both just seemed like a solution in search of a problem for what I was looking for. I don't mind the look of the OEM mount and don't mind having a front plate, and boy the price was right! ;)

I use the OEM mount. I have no plans to wrap the car. I bought the SnapPlate and the TesFram mounts but never installed them. I was concerned about the SnapPlate falling off, and the TesFram damaging the grill, and both just seemed like a solution in search of a problem for what I was looking for. I don't mind the look of the OEM mount and don't mind having a front plate, and boy the price was right! ;)
I did the same on the SnapPlate.
Bought it, and never even mounted it.

Our state also requires a front plate, but the police never seem to look or enforce that law. If they do pull me over, hopefully just get a warning and will mount it on the snap plate. Bought the Y about a year though so doubt I will ever need to mount it up.

I have both the OEM holder, that came w/the car, and a TesFram one that I bought (off eBay)…but haven’t installed either. A small of piece of PFF under the OEM one might be the way to go…

FatherTo1,
Did you buy a piece of PFF precut for that or just cut some out of a roll you had handy?

I have both the OEM holder, that came w/the car, and a TesFram one that I bought (off eBay)…but haven’t installed either. A small of piece of PFF under the OEM one might be the way to go…

FatherTo1,
Did you buy a piece of PFF precut for that or just cut some out of a roll you had handy?
IIRC, I ordered it precut from RPMTesla:

Model 3 & Y Under Front License Plate Protection

Reactions: mborkow