Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Devils advocating...from someone who shorted TSLA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You saw the same thing when you first shorted years ago. Maybe shorting TSLA is not your strong suit.
To be fair, there are opportunities, especially in the short run, to make money shorting Tesla.
You just need to time it right and not get greedy.
Heck, if you shorted last year when Tesla was around $280 and closed the position a couple months ago you did great.

Realists problem is he misunderstands the market and the desire among many people to drive electric.
Instead, he interjects his own biased opinion and treats that as reality.

I did make much more money on Tesla with my longs. On the short side I was wrong most of time.

Still, time will come.

My decision to cover the short was mainly because of the reservations numbers growing and growing. I couldn't expect demand being so high.

It's not going to change my negative view on the Tesla business Model in the long run however.

I did make much more money on Tesla with my longs. On the short side I was wrong most of time.

Still, time will come.

My decision to cover the short was mainly because of the reservations numbers growing and growing. I couldn't expect demand being so high.

It's not going to change my negative view on the Tesla business Model in the long run however.

Fair enough.
Even though I disagree with you on many things, especially you expansion of your subjective opinions onto a business as a whole, I appreciate your response.

What's your concept of the long run? Because in the *truly* long run, you're probably right...

In the 5-year time horizon, Tesla's got a spectacular business model which will drive dozens of other auto companies bankrupt. Namely, Tesla delivers snazzy electric cars with a long range and fast charging, and the competitors don't. And Tesla has built the supply chain to make those cars, and the competitors haven't. And Tesla has the expertise and has "debugged" all kinds of little problems in the design of those cars, and the competitors haven't yet.

In the 20-year time horizon, there are various recurring problems with Tesla management which a competitor may take advantage of to destroy them. But none of the competitors can get up to speed in 5 years. So in the 5-year timeframe, Tesla is sitting in the catbird seat.