Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on buying a used Model 3 from Hertz?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who takes better care of vehicles than a fleet owner?
Maybe it's different here in Australia, but I've rented a Toyota Corolla from Hertz that was about 10-20,000km overdue for an oil change. In fact the car was also unregistered. It hadn't been renewed after the initial 12 months ran out.

Personally I wouldn't touch a rental car with a 50 foot pole.

many of my cars have been driven like they were stolen from a rental company for some of their lives, and have a combined close to a million miles over many different kinds of vehicles, and none of them has caught fire or stranded me

Send it

My parents have purchased 3 rental cars and all turned out fine. People also buy used cars all the time that were leased. Is there really that big of a difference between a rental and a car off lease?

I know people that don't take care of their cars because it goes back in a few years.

if you could get $4K used EV discount-gonna be fun.
They do. Up to $25k per rules. Hertz is a registered dealer.

It’s a tax credit not point of sale. Any qualifying EV between $14000 and $25k gets the full $4k (it’s technically 30% to a maximum of $4k).

they must also be two models years less or more than the year. So right now, only 2021s and older qualify.

Battery warranty is still 8 years, 100k miles.

I’ve seen standard range with miles ranging from 70-105k for under $25k. They disappear, too.

Anybody game? Is a model 3 with 80k miles a good deal for $20k?

Forget the rental abuse. We know it exists. Assume the condition is acceptable.

Who’s gonna bite?

I just rented an Y from Hertz. It was one of the quietest Teslas I have ever driven. It did have a few scraps on the rear bumper from luggage, but other than that looked new. Before we turned it in, I checked the mileage. 45,000 miles. It was as quiet as our 4K mile 2022 Model 3 and much quieter than my 7K mile 2023 X. Bottom line unless there is a history of damage, I think you can get a good used car from Hertz.

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
They do. Up to $25k per rules. Hertz is a registered dealer.

It’s a tax credit not point of sale. Any qualifying EV between $14000 and $25k gets the full $4k (it’s technically 30% to a maximum of $4k).

they must also be two models years less or more than the year. So right now, only 2021s and older qualify.

Battery warranty is still 8 years, 100k miles.

I’ve seen standard range with miles ranging from 70-105k for under $25k. They disappear, too.

Anybody game? Is a model 3 with 80k miles a good deal for $20k?

Forget the rental abuse. We know it exists. Assume the condition is acceptable.

Who’s gonna bite?
Wonder if I could use the EV Credit for a new electric Motorcycle?

Last edited:
My parents have purchased 3 rental cars and all turned out fine. People also buy used cars all the time that were leased. Is there really that big of a difference between a rental and a car off lease?

I know people that don't take care of their cars because it goes back in a few years.
One owner and a few drivers (lease) vs. one owner and 100s of drivers (rental car). You tell me, is there a difference?

If you want the $4K tax credit from Hertz, but can't find one under $25K, just set your search criteria on their site to nationwide, Model year 2021, $14k-$25K, Model 3, and check in the morning or multiple times per day. They are there. Get your finances in order beforehand, be ready to drive, call, or Rent2Buy the moment you find one. You may not get another chance for a Model 3 with any mileage for under $21K.

After you buy, please come here and tell us how it went and what you got.

Don't know how used EV sales normally work, but it seems like the remaining capacity of the battery matters. I guess if you can rent it for 3 days from Hertz, you could take it home and charge it to 100% to see the remaining capacity of the battery. I don't know of any other way to get that info at least.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
I've rented 3s and Ys from Hertz and they were all in terrible condition. We are talking cameras that didn't work, doors that wouldn't close correctly, funky smells, weird noises on the highway. I guess for the right price ($20k after credits?) I wouldn't mind one as a beater to let the in laws borrow when visiting, but not for my primary vehicle.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: GOVA and cwerdna
We just bough a 2023 with 24,000 miles from an independent dealer, but the vehicle was a prior Hertz rental. Other than some glitches with transferring ownership which we’re working through with Tesla and which are detailed in another thread, the process has been great and the car looks and drives almost like new. With almost three full years of factory warranty remaining, we are very pleased with the purchase.

Reactions: brkaus and CyberShy
I've rented 3s and Ys from Hertz and they were all in terrible condition. We are talking cameras that didn't work, doors that wouldn't close correctly, funky smells, weird noises on the highway. I guess for the right price ($20k after credits?) I wouldn't mind one as a beater to let the in laws borrow when visiting, but not for my primary vehicle.
I have rented Tesla from Hertz three times. 2xMY and 1xM3.
All were perfect. The only thing that did bother me was they did not have any floor matts.

Now, it seems the range is between 15K miles and 80K miles. I'd probably consider low mileage M3 for a good price.

If you want the $4K tax credit from Hertz, but can't find one under $25K, just set your search criteria on their site to nationwide, Model year 2021, $14k-$25K, Model 3, and check in the morning or multiple times per day. They are there. Get your finances in order beforehand, be ready to drive, call, or Rent2Buy the moment you find one. You may not get another chance for a Model 3 with any mileage for under $21K.

After you buy, please come here and tell us how it went and what you got.
Wanted to follow up on my previous post: according to Consumers Reports, 2022 EVs qualify in 2024, so there’s that.
New Model 3s appear under $25K every few days and disappear as easily.

I didn’t follow the LFP info on Model 3s because I was not considering one ever, but does anyone know if there is a way to tell via VIN or otherwise if a Model 3 is LFP or not without seeing it on the car’s screen? I think that’s the best best for a Short Range.

I’ve found some 3s with as little as 56K miles for under $25k, but nowhere near me. If everything works out, I may end up with one by Winter this year if I can find one close enough pick up in a heartbeat.

Wanted to follow up on my previous post: according to Consumers Reports, 2022 EVs qualify in 2024, so there’s that.

I didn’t follow the LFP info on Model 3s because I was not considering one ever, but does anyone know if there is a way to tell via VIN or otherwise if a Model 3 is LFP or not without seeing it on the car’s screen? I think that’s the best best for a Short Range.

I’ve found some 3s with as little as 56K miles for under $25k, but nowhere near me. If everything works out, I may end up with one by Winter this year if I can find one close enough pick up in a heartbeat.
Maybe this will help.

MT336 Standard Range+​

• Produced: China
  • Battery BTF0 between VIN 89k and 152k (Oct 2020 and Dec 2020) for Europe LHD
  • Battery BTF0 between VIN 89k and 152k (Oct 2020 and Dec 2020) for APAC LHD

Produced in China using the BTF0, the first LFP battery from Oct 2020 and VIN 89k, through to VIN 152k in Dec 2020. These car were shipped to both Europe and APAC, but seemingly on available in LHD countries

The WLTP range was 440km. It could do 0-60 mph in 5.3s, 0-100km/h 5.6s and had a top speed of 140mph or 225km/h

MT337 Standard Range+​

• Produced: Fremont
  • Battery BTF0 between VIN 2/43k and 2/96k (Aug 2021 and Oct 2021) for NA
  • Battery BTF0 between VIN 150k and 476k (Dec 2020 and Dec 2021) for Europe
  • Battery BTF0 between VIN 150k and 476k (Dec 2020 and Dec 2021) for APAC

This car was produced both in China and Fremont, in both factories it had the BTF0 battery. China production ran from Dec 2020 and VIN 150k through to Dec 2021 and VIN 476k and went to Europe and APAC.

Fremont production started later and ran from Aug 2021 and VIN 43k (after the roll over) through to Oct 2021 and VIN 96k and went to the NA market.

The WLTP range was 278 Miles or 440km. It could do 0-60 mph in 5.3s, 0-100km/h 5.6s and had a top speed of 140mph or 225km/h

MT327 Standard Range+​

• Battery BTF0 between VIN 381k and 418k (Oct 2021 and Nov 2021) for APAC

Produced in small numbers in China using the BTF1 battery from Oct 2021 and VIN 381k though to VIN 418k in Nov 2021. These car were built specifically for the APAC market.

MT322 Rear Wheel Drive​

• Produced: Fremont
  • Battery BTF1 between VIN 2/101k and continues (Nov 2021 and continues) for NA
  • Battery BTF1 between VIN 382k and continues (Oct 2021 and continues) for Europe
  • Battery BTF1 between VIN 382k and continues (Oct 2021 and continues) for APAC

With the shift to the slightly larger BTF1 battery, Tesla dropped the Standard Range name and the SR+ became known simply as the Rear Wheel Drive. This car was produced both in China and Fremont.

China production started in Oct 2021 and VIN 382k and continues, the last seen VIN was Dec 2022 VIN 727k. Production goes to Europe and APAC. Fremont production started in Nov 2021 and VIN 101k and continues, the last seen VIN was Dec 2022 VIN 430k. Production goes to NA

The EPA range is 272 Miles, and the WLTP range is 305 Miles or 491km. It could do 0-60 mph in 5.8s, 0-100km/h 6.1s and had a top speed of 140mph or 225km/h. This represents a circa 10% increase in range but a reduction in acceleration performance
Looks like these are the ones with the BTF0 and BTF1 batteries (LFP).

Reactions: CyberShy
Thanks for this. It sort of helps, but the BTF0 and BTF1 codes are not published by Hertz in their site. Only the VIN seems to be available. if I can’t access the vehicle before sale, I wont commit to buying one. Are they on the door jamb decal?

I would expect Hertz to only have Fremont-produced 3s because I thought that no china-built 3s have been exported to the US, but WDIK?

And do you know what between VIN 2/43k and 2/96k mean? The slash throws me off.

since every 3 On Hertz has had a E for the 7th digit, I was unhappy, but tesla-info.com had this on their VIN decoder page:
We've heard (thanks to Gabe) that US 2022 M3 SR+ ship with the LFP battery but are using the letter E which has traditionally been used to signify Lithium Ion batteries.
But I’ve only been looking at 2021s as no 22s are under $25K… yet.

Last edited:

Since the LFP cars are heavier, 0-60 time is 5.8s vs 5.3 for NCA cars. Of course you can never be 100% sure with Tesla but I think this one of he easiest ways of differentiating .

Last edited:
Used Clean Vehicle Credit | Internal Revenue Service lists the requirements about model year vs. purchase time on used EVs to be eligible for the Federal tax credit.
"Have a model year at least 2 years earlier than the calendar year when you buy it. For example, a vehicle purchased in 2023 would need a model year of 2021 or older."

But, one also needs meet other requirements like these:
"
  • Not have claimed another used clean vehicle credit in the 3 years before the purchase date
In addition, your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) may not exceed:
  • $150,000 for married filing jointly or a surviving spouse
  • $112,500 for heads of households
  • $75,000 for all other filers
You can use your modified AGI from the year you take delivery of the vehicle or the year before, whichever is less. If your income is below the threshold for 1 of the two years, you can claim the credit..."

No way I can qualify as I'm single and WAY above the income cap.

Topic D thru F at Topic D — Frequently asked questions about eligibility rules for the Previously Owned Clean Vehicles Credit | Internal Revenue Service can also help.