Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on buying a used Model 3 from Hertz?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for this. It sort of helps, but the BTF0 and BTF1 codes are not published by Hertz in their site. Only the VIN seems to be available. if I can’t access the vehicle before sale, I wont commit to buying one. Are they on the door jamb decal?

I would expect Hertz to only have Fremont-produced 3s because I thought that no china-built 3s have been exported to the US, but WDIK?

And do you know what between VIN 2/43k and 2/96k mean? The slash throws me off.

since every 3 On Hertz has had a E for the 7th digit, I was unhappy, but tesla-info.com had this on their VIN decoder page:

But I’ve only been looking at 2021s as no 22s are under $25K… yet.
Yeah, sorry I haven't really done the VIN decoder thing too much in depth. I think you probably just have to grab some Hertz VINs and see what you find when you try to decode them. As you do it, you may find the answers to some of your questions. I sort of recall that the nominal battery range helped me feel comfortable that I was getting an LFP one. You may want to see if Hertz lists the original nominal battery range. I have no idea what the slash means.

Maybe you can call the Hertz where the vehicle is located and ask you to take a photo of the vehicle specs from the car computer. That would probably help you narrow down which version you're getting. You can probably use those specs to compare to the VIN too.

ps Hertz allows you to rent the vehicle you intend to buy, so that'd be one way to get your hands on the actual vehicle and try before you buy.

More follow-up regarding how to Verify a Base model 3 is LFP vs. Li-Ion:

There appears to be two names used by Hert.
The 2022 Model 3 Base Sedan is 132 MPGe.
The 2021 Model 3 Standard Range Plus Sedan is 142 MPGe.

I think this is the way to tell them apart. But which one is the LFP? Or are they both?

I think this is the way to tell them apart. But which one is the LFP? Or are they both?
I think your problem is you won't know if a 2021 car is LFP or not. 2022 is definitely LFP. Transition to LFP happened in late 2021.

All 2022 standard range in the US are LFP ~60kWh.

2021 are ~54kWh, but most are NCA while some later ones are LFP. In the car, the charge limit setting has daily and trip settings for NCA, but one setting for LFP.

In case you don't already know, Tesla seems to have rebranded its RWD M3s. They used to be called "Standard Range Plus" but are now just "RWD". From the buying guide I posted:
With the shift to the slightly larger BTF1 battery, Tesla dropped the Standard Range name and the SR+ became known simply as the Rear Wheel Drive. This car was produced both in China and Fremont.
It looks like Hertz's "base sedan" is a reference to the rebranding as just "RWD".

I scored a 2022 M3 LR AWD Black on Black from an independent dealer. Car had been released by Hertz and is in good condition. I aired my few cosmetic grievances with the dealer, and they went out of their way to address all of them. Car was completely gone through and the only mechanical issue was a wheel bearing, which was starting to make slight noise. They replaced the bearing with an OEM one from Tesla. Car has brand new Continentals all around. 90k on the car; battery is down about 10% from new. I drive 4-5000 miles a year, so I'll use the next 5+ years to hit the mileage cap for the drive terrain warranty. After both Fed & State EV rebates at point-of-sale, I paid 16,600 out the door post taxes and fees. Car is a rocket and full of great tech, including Ryzen. People may not want to touch these because of their 'pasts', but given the car was completely gone through and retains a 5 plus year warranty on the expensive stuff, I KNOW I got a good deal for my driving situation.

I scored a 2022 M3 LR AWD Black on Black from an independent dealer. Car had been released by Hertz and is in good condition. I aired my few cosmetic grievances with the dealer, and they went out of their way to address all of them. Car was completely gone through and the only mechanical issue was a wheel bearing, which was starting to make slight noise. They replaced the bearing with an OEM one from Tesla. Car has brand new Continentals all around. 90k on the car; battery is down about 10% from new. I drive 4-5000 miles a year, so I'll use the next 5+ years to hit the mileage cap for the drive terrain warranty. After both Fed & State EV rebates at point-of-sale, I paid 16,600 out the door post taxes and fees. Car is a rocket and full of great tech, including Ryzen. People may not want to touch these because of their 'pasts', but given the car was completely gone through and retains a 5 plus year warranty on the expensive stuff, I KNOW I got a good deal for my driving situation.
If you're in a position to take advantage of the tax advantages this is an absurdly good deal