Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead S - Towing to SC - Will they be able to move it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S is not able/refusing to charge it's 12 volt battery and will not move under it's own power even with a full 12v charge. Luckily, I can get it into Tow Mode. So, it's going to the new Chattanooga SC Monday morning.

So, I'm a bit worried about getting it from wherever it gets dropped off from the tow truck in the parking lot to wherever it'll get worked on. What is the normal procedure? Do they have modified forklifts or whatever to move the vehicle? Do they get a few people to push the car?

Ideally, I'd like to get a tow truck and drop it off there the night before to make it easy as I won't have to rush, worry about traffic, tow truck delays etc. I wasn't able to get in touch with the SC on Friday to confirm. Can I just leave it somewhere in the parking lot and then check-in the morning with them or are they going to need me to have the tow truck there Monday morning and get it dropped off in an exact area?

If it's in tow mode, then they can just winch it up the back of the titled flatbed. If it's stuck in tow mode, they'll put wheel dollies on the two rear wheels since they are the ones locked by the parking brake.
Carrier-Dolly-Tesla-1-tow-choice.jpg

Reactions: kirkhilles
I need to read the user guide but was wondering.... I've got a 2014 MS60 RWD. I've always preferred flatbeds vs raising the rear end to let the front wheels turn free, so this is more theoretical, but w/o a front motor, can my car be towed like that? I hadn't given it much/any thought till now. If not, why not? Would it still need to be in tow mode?

I need to read the user guide but was wondering.... I've got a 2014 MS60 RWD. I've always preferred flatbeds vs raising the rear end to let the front wheels turn free, so this is more theoretical, but w/o a front motor, can my car be towed like that? I hadn't given it much/any thought till now. If not, why not? Would it still need to be in tow mode?

I haven't see any car be towed like that in the last 40 years.

You're probably right, but maybe that's just because most ICE cars these days are FWD. Pretty sure they can and still do it. I wouldn't want my MS60 to be towed like that, but I'm not sure it would be a problem w/o a front drive unit. Would it damage the regenerative braking system? I haven't yet read much about that system. I did read the user guide and it doesn't say that it could be towed that way so I wouldn't chance it, just curious.

Last edited:
Yep, that's why I was never keen on it. But that's not the point, the point is, is there anything about the suspension, braking, etc that would prevent it? If it had an LDU then that could get damaged. If it were in tow mode the UG says to go slow and only like 30 ft. But w/o a drive unit?