Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Cybertruck Will Feel Dated By the Time it Comes Out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's quite a list. Do none of the trucks on the market measure up? I would think real truck people want the F150's original body style and accessories. While Tesla people want FSD and covered vault to make it another Tesla. I don't think it's gonna be much of a cross over between those two camps (except when the do tug of war with the two trucks)

Why would you need to put a pickup in a garage? Is the stainless steel gonna rust? Trying to protect it from hail?
Perhaps so they can get out of the truck and walk into the house without getting rained on, snowed on or to keep the driveway clear? In the winter for the CT if they do not get that wiper out of the way then it will be critical to keep the 6 inches of snow off the truck since having it where we keep seeing it will not be conducive to getting it off the vehicle and with nowhere to push it that wiper isn't going to work.

There are lots of reasons why people park their automobile in their garage, plus there is the fact that garages are built to store vehicles.

That's quite a list. Do none of the trucks on the market measure up? I would think real truck people want the F150's original body style and accessories. While Tesla people want FSD and covered vault to make it another Tesla. I don't think it's gonna be much of a cross over between those two camps (except when the do tug of war with the two trucks)

Why would you need to put a pickup in a garage? Is the stainless steel gonna rust? Trying to protect it from hail?
You really think that list is too much to ask for?

Yes Tug of war and speed off the line do not matter in any practical use.

I think if the CT is going to sell as anything more than as a flash in the pan then it needs to be able to address the basics. Chevy didn't, Ford didn't but might get it by Gen 2, let's see if Ram gets it right from the start....

Reactions: texas_star_TM3

Well as for the garage because stainless steel is going to ice over like you can’t imagine and the gorilla glass is likely going to take forever to heat up.

Nothing like preheating your tesla for an hour to de-ice the thing to save the planet…

I think the more important consideration is whether the Cybertruck will feel dated after a few years of ownership. One of the challenges in any car design is that over time the form/shape evokes different feelings as viewers get more used to it and the vehicle ages. All of the interesting design elements that were novel/new start to get old, dirty, and less prominent as the vehicle becomes normalized.

Take the 1990 Toyota Previa. This was deemed "futuristic" and "revolutionary" when it made its debut. The problem is that buyers tend to equate anything that isn't conventional to be "futuristic". But once the item becomes more mainstream and conventional, all of the original appeal goes away. But 40 years later the nostalgia factor will come back.

toyprev_750_500_70.jpg

Big shark fins pointing up from rocket-shaped brake lights are futuristic... until they aren't.
Pop up headlights are futuristic... until they aren't.
A mid-engine-egg-shaped-MPV is futuristic... until it isn't.
And for the Cybertruck, a phong shaded polygon Truck is futuristic... until it isn't.

But, one thing is for certain, the manufacturing practice of the Cybertruck is futuristic. Tesla is re-inventing what light duty pickup truck can be from basically every element except the number of wheels that it has. We'll see how CT buyers appreciate their futuristic vehicle a decade from 2024.

There are lots of reasons why people park their automobile in their garage, plus there is the fact that garages are built to store vehicles.
All the responses to my query are about parking Autos in the garage. We are talking truck. Same dimensions as the F150. Not something that fits in most garages. I don't see the benefit to putting a stainless steel and glass vehicle indoors as far as wear and tear goes, save that space for your old Model Y. But yeah, if you live somewhere that you spend much of the year unburying your car from all the snow I guess you need a carport, or:

1.jpg

Reactions: CyberGus
All the responses to my query are about parking Autos in the garage. We are talking truck. Same dimensions as the F150. Not something that fits in most garages. I don't see the benefit to putting a stainless steel and glass vehicle indoors as far as wear and tear goes, save that space for your old Model Y. But yeah, if you live somewhere that you spend much of the year unburying your car from all the snow I guess you need a carport, or:

1.jpg

park your vehicle outdoors in a few hot Texas summers at all times and the interior won't look so fresh after just a few years. aside from that - the F150 does fit into a residential garage but barely. the average TRUCK buyer knows that. but the statement made was that the Cybertruck will have people drive a truck who previously didn't consider a truck... and that's where I disagree. Maneuvering a full size truck in a parking garage is a pain for e.g. Non truck owners wouldn't know. Ironically Rivian went the right way by cutting the dimensions slightly below a F150 for better maneuverability and driving in cities.

Reactions: rhumbliner
It’s funny when people from SoCal feel the need to contribute to discussions around winter…. Why? Just stop. You don’t see me chiming in on discussions about running AC in hot weather or driving in traffic as these things don’t exist where I live and have nothing to contribute.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3

1.jpg

Great solution to 1" of snow right up till it blows off. Do you get a lot of snow in Frisco?
Seriously adding a carport is your solution too, ever seen one of those collapse due to snow load in upstate NY? There is a reason we don't have them. As for fit in my garage. I can pull my mirrors in and back my truck in the garage now. Would I like a bigger garage, Sure but imagine the CO2 i will have to release in pouring the foundation and building an oversized garage. I thought the idea was to reduce carbon footprint.

I appreciate that everyone has their own uses and needs, what you deem important will be different than what I do. It is for this reason that the auto industry have so many different suppliers and each supplier has different models and within the model there are different packages. This allows you to get what you want and me to get what I need. Where I'm seeing many on the BEV train go off the rails is that they want to tell me what I NEED. There is little to no listening to other people. There is very little through to anothers persepective. PS this is not in just the EV market right?

You keep telling everyone what they should want and they will continue to tune you out and spend their money on what the know.

OK off my soapbox back to paying for 2023 taxes.

Last edited:
Reactions: coleAK
Looks pretty nice. I would LOVE that tunnel thing.

One problem with all those tracks in the bed and car is crap gets in them.

What if you want to pick up a load of loam or gravel in your truck? Ok you use a liner, but then how do you use the tracks. You gonna put the liner in and out? Don’t think so.

One huge problem with all new EV’s is experience building batteries that can last 10 years. There is only one company that has done that. Look at lightning, production halted (might be 12V battery issue though) Look at Bolt. They need 5 years experience making batteries before I’d consider one.

They all need a cheap way of replacing batteries too, including Tesla. Trucks often run for 20 years.

Looks pretty nice. I would LOVE that tunnel thing.

One problem with all those tracks in the bed and car is crap gets in them.

What if you want to pick up a load of loam or gravel in your truck? Ok you use a liner, but then how do you use the tracks. You gonna put the liner in and out? Don’t think so.

One huge problem with all new EV’s is experience building batteries that can last 10 years. There is only one company that has done that. Look at lightning, production halted (might be 12V battery issue though) Look at Bolt. They need 5 years experience making batteries before I’d consider one.

They all need a cheap way of replacing batteries too, including Tesla. Trucks often run for 20 years.
lol. Ford is building a battery assembly plant with CATL in Michigan. Tesla uses CATL as well for some of their battery needs.
They all have much more than 5yrs experience of making batteries...

additionally ... they all offer 8yrs of battery warranty as well ... just like Tesla

Great solution to 1" of snow right up till it blows off. Do you get a lot of snow in Frisco?
Seriously adding a carport is your solution too, ever seen one of those collapse due to snow load in upstate NY?
Just here to share info, that's how people learn about the world. For example, I am in California, Frisco is in Colorado, or perhaps TX. But yes, we get heaps of snow, I've had 24 foot drifts near my cabin, that's why we have all those ski bums up and down the state. And we have building codes that work with carport manufacturers to build them strong enough to handle the expected snow load.

If you think I am taking your snow to casually than elucidate us, it's not malice, just don't know what's going on in Alaska and apparently upstate NY (is that like a euphemisms for Buffalo?) I think Fargo also gets crazy snow (seen it on that TV show), but is there really a dividing line between north and south that means 50% of people get that kind of crazy snow in the winter? I'm a wee bit incredulous

Ford has produced a winner....for those who are used to and want a traditional truck, abeit with electric drive.

Tesla will be releasing a brand new take on the truck. Much less expensive to build, no paint scratches or dents for minor impacts. No more visits to "The Dent Doctor" for dings or rubs into parking garage pillars.

Not needing to invest $Millions into a paint booth, all the robots to do the painting, and the high expenses of multi-layered paint that begins to degrade with the first road trip.

The power tonneau provides a far superior aerodynamic resulting in better range and less need to carry heavier batteries. Making it from one giant "Gigapress" casting will allow it to be produced with far fewer employees, shorter and quicker assembly lines.

Casting construction will allow for far greater payloads, range, impact safety, greater interior space. Large windshield will give better forward visibility, especially compared to traditional high hood pick-ups.

Nice thing is that buyers will have a choice of either. What might be essential to one, will be a non issue to another.
Many only want to use their trucks like a giant car. Like the truck image, but rarely use it's capabilities. Others, like construction workers, will need to haul, tow, off road, and get them really dirty.

The marketplace will decide which will be more profitable.

Reactions: israndy
Ford has produced a winner....for those who are used to and want a traditional truck, abeit with electric drive.

Tesla will be releasing a brand new take on the truck. Much less expensive to build, no paint scratches or dents for minor impacts. No more visits to "The Dent Doctor" for dings or rubs into parking garage pillars.

Not needing to invest $Millions into a paint booth, all the robots to do the painting, and the high expenses of multi-layered paint that begins to degrade with the first road trip.

The power tonneau provides a far superior aerodynamic resulting in better range and less need to carry heavier batteries. Making it from one giant "Gigapress" casting will allow it to be produced with far fewer employees, shorter and quicker assembly lines.

Casting construction will allow for far greater payloads, range, impact safety, greater interior space. Large windshield will give better forward visibility, especially compared to traditional high hood pick-ups.

Nice thing is that buyers will have a choice of either. What might be essential to one, will be a non issue to another.
Many only want to use their trucks like a giant car. Like the truck image, but rarely use it's capabilities. Others, like construction workers, will need to haul, tow, off road, and get them really dirty.

The marketplace will decide which will be more profitable.
isn't the rear casting Model Y heavier or as heavy as the conventionally build Model Y ?
you also forget that stainless steel of the CT thickness is A LOT heavier than the thicker gauged aluminum of the F150 Lightning.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
The Cybertruck Stainless Steel will be between 11 and 12 Gauge thick sheet metal. Which weighs around 4 pounds per square foot. For those who don't know the lower the gauge no. on sheet metal the thicker it is.
exoskeleton will save *some* weight elsewhere... but I don't think the Cybertruck will be lighter than F150 Lightning and others. Most likely quite a bit heavier due to the choice of stainless steel and thick panels. That massive bullet proof windshield isn't going to be particularly lightweight either.