Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cory Johnson: Perpetual $TSLA Cynic?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is too funny, I can't believe there is a whole thread about this, I thought I was the only one who noticed how bent that guy is about Tesla! Just last week I tweeted Emily Chang his cohost on BloomWest see if she would flat out ask him on air why he doesn't like Tesla. I guess if he is really a quant guy he can still argue that TSLA's valuation is crazy (which it loudly is on a fundamental basis), but he is clearly biased and anti Tesla for some reason beyond that. Oh well, just noise, too bad though, BloomWest is a really good show for the most part.
Isn't that amazing, how obvious it is to all of us across the globe that there is something about that guy and Tesla. The explanation could be quite simple, the guy might be so uncool and jealous.

Isn't that amazing, how obvious it is to all of us across the globe that there is something about that guy and Tesla. The explanation could be quite simple, the guy might be so uncool and jealous.

Is it just Tesla he is commenting on or are there other compagnies as well. He might be negative towards other companies too, it could be a personality thing..

Is it just Tesla he is commenting on or are there other compagnies as well. He might be negative towards other companies too, it could be a personality thing..

No he's definitely been against anything Elon does, I feel like it's personal. You should hear him talk about SpaceX. I hate to say it but this guy has to be on something... All of his remarks are just factually incorrect.

No he's definitely been against anything Elon does, I feel like it's personal. You should hear him talk about SpaceX. I hate to say it but this guy has to be on something... All of his remarks are just factually incorrect.

theres definitely a personal vendetta there...if this were a comic book he would be one of the main villains.

-Cory Johnson is equivalent to the Joker
-Kass is Dr. doom perhaps
-John Peterson is Magneto,
-The Car Czar lady on Fox News is CatWoman,
-the Auto Dealers are equivalent to the Sentinels

any other villains out there we can match up?

There is a character in Milos Forman's movie Amadeus that comes close, in some respects. Antonio Salieri was a composer who pledges devotion to god in exchange for being able to devote his life to music. He becomes successful composer and feels great about himself until he encounters Mozart and his music.

"Salieri reels at the notion of God speaking through the childish, petulant Mozart: nevertheless, he regards his music as miraculous. Gradually, Salieri’s faith is shaken. He believes that God, through Mozart's genius, is cruelly laughing at Salieri's own musical mediocrity."

There is a character in Milos Forman's movie Amadeus that comes close, in some respects. Antonio Salieri was a composer who pledges devotion to god in exchange for being able to devote his life to music. He becomes successful composer and feels great about himself until he encounters Mozart and his music.

"Salieri reels at the notion of God speaking through the childish, petulant Mozart: nevertheless, he regards his music as miraculous. Gradually, Salieri’s faith is shaken. He believes that God, through Mozart's genius, is cruelly laughing at Salieri's own musical mediocrity."
At least Salieri actually composed music. Cory Johnson didn't build anything, as far as I can tell.

(Unless you weren't referring to Cory Johnson and I misunderstood?)

that is one of the most apropos analogies I've seen in a long time- well said; Also concur with F-Rhino, he did compose and some decent stuff to, very talented on his own accord. Still the unfulfilled need to be what another became is indicative of the behavior for Cory and others. I'm happy to be part of the same species living at the same time as someone like EM and have a tiny part in participating (JP likely falls into this category as well I surmise). Anyway- nice correlation Auzie (one of fav movies all time too)

Last edited:
At least Salieri actually composed music. Cory Johnson didn't build anything, as far as I can tell.

(Unless you weren't referring to Cory Johnson and I misunderstood?)
I had in mind Cory Johnson.

Salieri story is about the feeling we get when we encounter someone who shines so brightly that our own little light appears very dim in comparison.

When that happens we have a choice. We can salute the light, be grateful as we benefit from extra light, perhaps join it. Or we can try to talk it down and attempt to dim it. What we choose to do speaks about our own little light.

I'm happy to be part of the same species living at the same time as someone like EM and have a tiny part in participating (JP likely falls into this category as well I surmise). Anyway- nice correlation Auzie (one of fav movies all time too)
I am also very happy to be able to watch the unfolding of this incredible story. I think we are witnessing the birth of future monopoly. I stay long.

On movies note, Immortal beloved is also good, about Beethoven.

I had in mind Cory Johnson.

Salieri story is about the feeling we get when we encounter someone who shines so brightly that our own little light appears very dim in comparison.

When that happens we have a choice. We can salute the light, be grateful as we benefit from extra light, perhaps join it. Or we can try to talk it down and attempt to dim it. What we choose to do speaks about our own little light.
I've also seen the movie (quite a few times, actually.) I was just making a small point, that I can see how someone like Salieri, who himself was tantalizingly close to reaching greatness, would be consumed by hate in the presence of true genius. He, too, was a creator, so at least I feel for the guy. But someone like Cory Johnson... not so much.

I concur with your larger point, though, namely that there are people who have an irrepressible urge to diminish the accomplishments of others. The more astonishing those achievements, the more they bitch and moan. The same people used to say similar things about Jobs, that he was just a brilliant marketer who never created anything himself (many still say that.)

Meanwhile, the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Last edited:
I think this is a new low for Cory. Asked about the "D", he starts ranting and rambling about the model x trunk not opening during the launch event, not being available until 2016, and model s demand in the us declining. He's kind of tweaking out at the end of the video too. I don't know why more people don't call him out for his anti-Tesla bias, he clearly has it out for them. He's supposed to be a journalist/reporter....

Tesla and Elon Musk Tease the Next Big `D’

Last edited:
I think this is a new low for Cory. Asked about the "D", he starts ranting and rambling about the model x trunk not opening during the launch event, not being available until 2016, and model s demand in the us declining. He's kind of tweaking out at the end of the video too. I don't know why more people don't call him out for his anti-Tesla bias, he clearly has it out for them. He's supposed to be a journalist/reporter....

Tesla and Elon Musk Tease the Next Big `D’

He seems pretty logical in many other areas. Don't you think this could be more of a Bloomberg thing than a Cory thing?

I have seen many of his videos wherein he starts his sentences like :

"Look this is a company that is bleeding money, has many problems, catches fire, can't sell in most states, surviving on govt dole, blah blah.."

It doesn't matter what the question is but he will start with a few meaningless negative observations all the time.