Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth getting a new Model 3 that had the computer replaced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I made an order for a Model 3 SR at the beginning of December. It was supposed to arrive by the end of the year, but then the delivery time changed to January 1st - February 7th (which basically tells me that they have no idea when it will happen).

My contact person at Tesla told me that they have another car with the same configuration as mine, which is available now, still brand new and 850 euro cheaper. The reason for that is that upon its initial inspection, they found some issues and replaced the car's computer.

Would you guys for that one or wait?

Update: the car is not available anymore, so there is no point in discussing it anymore. Unless some people might encounter similar situations and may be looking for advice in the future.

Last edited:
So I made an order for a Model 3 SR at the beginning of December. It was supposed to arrive by the end of the year, but then the delivery time changed to January 1st - February 7th (which basically tells me that they have no idea when it will happen).

My contact person at Tesla told me that they have another car with the same configuration as mine, which is available now, still brand new and 850 euro cheaper. The reason for that is that upon its initial inspection, they found some issues and replaced the car's computer.

Would you guys for that one or wait?

Update: the car is not available anymore, so there is no point in discussing it anymore. Unless some people might encounter similar situations and may be looking for advice in the future.
They both come with equal risk. However, the newer one may be a 2024 year whereas the one available now may be a 2023 model. The year difference may affect value when you sell it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
However, the newer one may be a 2024 year whereas the one available now may be a 2023 model.
This is a good point if you will sell quickly, and less important if you are keeping it long term since Tesla doesn't use model years for features. I would certainly want a 2024 if I were buying new now.

You can check by the VIN, at least in the US. I'm ignorant of how VINs are treated in the Netherlands, but in the US it's the 10th character with P meaning 2023 and R meaning 2024.

A relevant question: Where the heck can you check the VIN on Tesla's site? I couldn't find it anywhere. And they don't mention year anywhere either... but with the VIN, we'd know with the P or R. Is there a way to find both, or at least the VIN? Thanks.