Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw 296K dead on this site today:
Coronavirus Dashboard

I saw 286K dead elsewhere. At the rate of deaths being reported now, we'll probably pass 300K dead by the end of this week.

Here is one way to put this into perspective:

View attachment 616133

US incompetence with handling the virus has killed more Americans than any single enemy the US has ever faced in any war. The 291K dead from WW II was from three different enemies. The deaths from the Civil War are from both sides.
That is insane. Especially when you look at how short a time it took for COVID-19 to claim that many lives versus the time it took in those wars to cause that number of deaths.

Wondering what the percentage of deaths per total population at the time would show. Obviously the population of the US in WW2 was not as high as it is now. That would be the new metric to follow.

I saw 296K dead on this site today:
Coronavirus Dashboard

I saw 286K dead elsewhere. At the rate of deaths being reported now, we'll probably pass 300K dead by the end of this week.

Here is one way to put this into perspective:

View attachment 616133

US incompetence with handling the virus has killed more Americans than any single enemy the US has ever faced in any war. The 291K dead from WW II was from three different enemies. The deaths from the Civil War are from both sides.

Yep. Well on target to nearly equal the sum total of the top two contributors, before we're all done with this, FWIW. Now, 75% of these deaths are of people who are age 65 and older, which isn't quite the same as war, but it's still disgraceful and unacceptable.

Anyway, averaging 2200+ deaths per day now, and we'll be averaging 3200 or so per day at the end of year, for an average through the end of the year of around 2700 per day. So 2700*21 = 57000 additional death reports by the end of the year. Taking us to 340-350k depending on how you count.

The way things are going, beyond that 350k, probably at least 100k more after in addition that are unavoidable by end of February (worst case could have nearly 100k deaths in January alone). Depends on how long this wave lasts and whether it can be broken soon. If it peaks soon maybe we'll have a chance to keep the death count under 500k. Not great. Just quick back-of-the-envelope estimates. Even "near-exponential" growth is kind of a b****.

Soon after that the vaccine should start mitigating mortality.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Has Abbott applied for FDA approval of Panbio rapid test? Has FDA rejected their application? FDA did approve use of an earlier Abbott rapid test, ID Now.

I don't know. There are tons of rapid tests out there, presumably under consideration? FDA seems loathe to approve for anything other than POC use or similar. No sensible at-home options right now.

ID Now is a molecular test and extremely expensive. Not in the same class (generally probably more sensitive and specific).

Here is a very interesting case study out of Korea on airborne COVID transmission. Made possible because of the extensive contact tracing systems in place—unlike what we have in the US.

https://www.jkms.org/Synapse/Data/PDFData/0063JKMS/jkms-35-e415.pdf
Thanks for the very interesting paper. Key takeaways:
- Indoor restaurant with no ventilation
- No masks
- Both infectees were downwind of infector (~1 m/s airflow) and facing airflow (45 degree angle)
- Infectee A was 6.5m away for 5 minutes
- Infectee C was 4.8m away for 21 minutes
- A and C companions sat farther from airstream and/or did not face into it

upload_2020-12-10_11-15-24.png

This last point suggests droplet transmission vs. airborne. Droplet transmission is considered to max out at 2m, but being downwind lengthens this.

I'm once again blown away by Korea's contact tracing. They tracked down the primary case using a database which contained the itinerary of every case in the country!

Because case A had no history of overseas travel and travel outside Jeonju, where there had been no confirmed case in the previous 2 weeks, we used the EISS of the KDCA to gather data from June 2 to June 15. The results showed only one (case B) of 538 confirmed domestic cases with a tracking map overlapping that of case A during that period. The site of overlap was a restaurant (restaurant A), where case A and case B were co-located for 5 minutes on June 12 based on CCTV images​

There's simply no way to do that kind of contract tracing at US prevalence levels. Of course if we'd have done that from the start, along with quarantines of incoming travelers, we wouldn't have these prevalence levels. But.... cibil wights!

Philadelphia started off real strong, masking up far better than surrounding areas. Fatigue has now set in.....at just the wrong time. I'm seeing maskless people of all ages everywhere. 75+ year old black man at the packed supermarket yesterday with a mask on his chin. This is going to get bad for Philadelphia.

I would say the governor reacting too strongly at times and closing schools without cause is partially to blame,but that's splitting hairs. Certainly can be forgiven for taking the less than zero federal action into account and over-reacting.

I'm legit worried for normal Philadelphians for the first time in this pandemic. Sad we'll see far more deaths AFTER the vaccines have made it through testing than the 9 months before.

My opinion is the FDA should approve the AstraZeneca vaccine, but only for young/healthy people. The Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is clearly not as good as the mRNA vaccines, but we have access to a lot of it. Use the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines for the high risk and elderly, and use the AstraZeneca vaccine to immunize as many young/healthy people as possible quickly as possible. We need to put an end to the 3000 daily deaths.

FDA just now voted YES on Pfizer vaccine (there were several No votes, but Yes was majority). It was live on Youtube. Main contention was the age - some thought it should be 18+, not 16+ as the voting question was.

Anyway, we should see vaccines starting to be distributed within hours and first vaccinations in US tomorrow !

Can't wait to see the end of the pandemic - though, all the anti-vaxxers are going to make vaccination process not so smooth sailing.

ps : Well, not yet. This was the expert committee voting. Not FDA itself. So we have a few more days to go.

F.D.A. Panel Gives Green Light to Pfizer's Covid Vaccine (msn.com)

FDA just now voted YES on Pfizer vaccine (there were several No votes, but Yes was majority). It was live on Youtube. Main contention was the age - some thought it should be 18+, not 16+ as the voting question was.

Anyway, we should see vaccines starting to be distributed within hours and first vaccinations in US tomorrow !

Can't wait to see the end of the pandemic - though, all the anti-vaxxers are going to make vaccination process not so smooth sailing.
Do you have a link? My understanding was that today was just a panel of experts voting on whether to recommend the virus be approved for an EUA, which everything I heard today said could take a couple more days. Or did the FDA also vote on it today?

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
My opinion is the FDA should approve the AstraZeneca vaccine, but only for young/healthy people. The Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is clearly not as good as the mRNA vaccines, but we have access to a lot of it. Use the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines for the high risk and elderly, and use the AstraZeneca vaccine to immunize as many young/healthy people as possible quickly as possible. We need to put an end to the 3000 daily deaths.
Side effects are a bigger concern with young people, though. You could easily cause more harm than good, since the young are much less likely to be seriously affected by the disease itself.

Other vaccines are also on the way from J&J, Novavax, Glaxo and some I forget.

Dr Fauci said there are 6 on phase 3 trials in US. Given that only some 50% say they will take the vaccine - I think Pfizer + Moderna and others will supply the needed 300 Million dozes in the next 6 months. Then its a long struggle to get the anti-vaxxers to get vaccinated - esp as the infections drop.

Path to Herd Immunity

It's "nearly" over. I guess herd immunity is not at 20%. Darn. Mistake could happen to anyone; even a Nobel Prize winner could have made that mistake! Leavitt has to be one of the most stark examples of Dunning-Kruger ever; he wastes so much of his time Perl coding nonsense plots for COVID denialism. Elon comes in second I guess with the more visible example, but had much less distance to fall.

Eo34QUHU8AAE3Vl.jpg

No way we're only at 20% infection with over 15.5M identified cases. That would be about 66M cases, we've gotta be beyond 100M infections at this point. Less than 7x identified cases, rational multiplier.

Sorry to disappoint you. I know you're always bullish on infection counts. But such is not to be. It's a deadly virus!

Originally the ratio was 10x, but it's been closer to a 3x multiplier for a long time. As far as I know, this is no longer the subject of much debate. There is some uncertainty of course, but 100M is way outside the window.

No way we're only at 20% infection with over 15.5M identified cases. That would be about 66M cases, we've gotta be beyond 100M infections at this point. Less than 7x identified cases, rational multiplier.

Haha, maybe in April it was 7x. Since the summer it's probably closer to 2x. IHME has been trying to model the true infection rate and their charts show the comparison between confirmed cases versus estimated infections. In the spring wave, they estimated that infections peaked around 300k per day in late March, while confirmed cases peaked in May at 34k/day. But now with confirmed cases running around 250k/day, they estimate infections at 415k/day.

I do think the unreported cases are many times reported cases. I don't think we're as high as 100 M infection yet though.

The problem with all these things is there are many variables and because of all the screw ups in the US, most measurements have a lot of uncertainty, especially case numbers. In countries with good record keeping, the deaths can be accurately tracked, but even in some of those countries some numbers might be under reported for political reasons (such as some parts of the US). Some countries have more vulnerable populations than others due to age of the population, life habits in the population, and the number of risk factors in the population (such as levels of Type II diabetes and obesity).

Some countries known for good testing and good health care systems have brought the virus under control such as South Korea, Taiwan, and New Zealand, but the bulk of their deaths happened early in the pandemic when treatment regimes were not as good as today. If they knew then what we know now, some percentage of their deaths never would have happened.

The CFR for the three countries mentioned hover around 1%. Even if that's 2X what it would be today, that puts them around 0.5%. The US CFR is 1.9% with probably some under reporting from some states for political reasons. Some US deaths such as most in New York and New Jersey also happened early when treatment techniques were evolving, but more are happening today than back then. (I got my numbers from John Hopkins' reporting site.)

If the real CFR for the US is really 0.5% with up to date treatment techniques, then that would be an under reporting rate of about 4X max. Maybe 5X if the under-reporting of deaths is significant from places like Florida and Texas, but that's really stretching it. Considering that the US has a higher rate of comorbidities than the three countries above, the real CFR probably is higher, which would push the under reporting rate lower.

So I would say the US is probably in the 40-50 million total cases range with a low probability it might be as high as 70 million. That works out to about 12-15% herd immunity at this point. It could be lower than 40 million due to the factors cited above. We don't know and probably won't know for several years until deep dive studies can be done by academics with hindsight and a much better data set.

Path to Herd Immunity

It's "nearly" over. I guess herd immunity is not at 20%. Darn. Mistake could happen to anyone; even a Nobel Prize winner could have made that mistake! Leavitt has to be one of the most stark examples of Dunning-Kruger ever; he wastes so much of his time Perl coding nonsense plots for COVID denialism. Elon comes in second I guess with the more visible example, but had much less distance to fall.

View attachment 616446
It depends on if everyone who has gotten the virus is equally likely to spread it as the people who hasn’t gotten the virus. Which seems very un-pareto, imo the people who are more likely to spread the virus have also been more likely to get the virus. I would not be surprised if Europe and US reaches herd immunity about the same time as the vaccine starts rolling out in meaningful numbers.