Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports takes delivery of their Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i HATE Consumer Reports.

i truly truly do.

an old relic of journalism best suited to test microwave ovens and dishwashers, NOT cars.

whether CR gives the Model S a glowing, red-circle review or a crippling, black-circle review, it will not change my opinion of the car i'm about to receive even one iota.

I care about the public perception of EVs. And Consumer Reports is respected by a very large percentage of that population. So what you or I think of CR is immaterial (imo). What CR thinks of the Model S matters. We all still remember how they bashed Fisker. We all remember how Top Gear represented the Roadster. That stuff sticks around for a long time.

i HATE Consumer Reports.

i truly truly do.

an old relic of journalism best suited to test microwave ovens and dishwashers, NOT cars.

whether CR gives the Model S a glowing, red-circle review or a crippling, black-circle review, it will not change my opinion of the car i'm about to receive even one iota.

F Consumer Reports...

While I agree that Consumer Reports isn't the best place to get a recommendation on the driving aspect of a car. I think they do a fairly good job determining nuisance issues, amenity value (versus comparable cars), and TCO. Something worth checking, but not a huge determination in my decision making process. If you want a car as a transport unit, they are probably a good place to look.

i HATE Consumer Reports.

i truly truly do.

F Consumer Reports...

*Tosses a treat*

Easy boy...

i HATE Consumer Reports.

Kind of off-topic, but I find it funny that Consumer Reports very often insists on luxury, fatty-taste, lots of rear-seat room etc. (I know, I'm jumping between product categories), but then they hate it when things are expensive, or food isn't the healthiest by their standards, or the cars are inefficient. Well, they'll find a lot to love in the Model S.

I was stunned reading Consumer Reports a few months ago, when they rated various AA batteries. They neglected to identify the best value: the most power for the least money. What was that about?

I was stunned reading Consumer Reports a few months ago, when they rated various AA batteries. They neglected to identify the best value: the most power for the least money. What was that about?

CR tends to either get it wrong or miss the point. I don't put much credence in their reviews--even if they are positive for the things I think are good. If they continue to be positive about the Model S, this will be a first time they have given a positive review to something I like.

- - - Updated - - -

i found it interesting that the writer did not charge overnight and leave in the morning with a full charge. If he had done that, which as we all know is normal behavior, then he wouldn't have had range anxiety at all!

I guess he's still thinking in ICE terms where you don't fill till empty.

i found it interesting that the writer did not charge overnight and leave in the morning with a full charge. If he had done that, which as we all know is normal behavior, then he wouldn't have had range anxiety at all!

I assumed he doesn't have any way to charge at home (though you'd think he'd at least have a 120v option available.).

I guess he's still thinking in ICE terms where you don't fill till empty.

You know, I was amazed -- after talking to hundreds upon hundreds of people at the St. Louis Auto Show, just how many people had preconceived notions about how to treat batteries. The number of people who assumed you had to run the battery down to near-empty before you could charge is staggering. I had to give my "battery talk" about 100 times!

You know, I was amazed -- after talking to hundreds upon hundreds of people at the St. Louis Auto Show, just how many people had preconceived notions about how to treat batteries. The number of people who assumed you had to run the battery down to near-empty before you could charge is staggering. I had to give my "battery talk" about 100 times!

It is amazing how deeply rooted that thinking is in our collective pscyhie. I guess most boomers spent much of their consumer electronic lifetimes with NiCad batteries. Li-on will be the experience of a younger generation.

Definitely. I don't think anyone under 30 years old remembers the whole 'memory' effect and charging games of the older batteries.

I agree that much of the 40+ crowd (people more likely to be buying the Model S) would likely listen to what Consumer Reports says, even if they don't subscribe to the magazine so a positive review certainly wouldn't hurt.

Definitely. I don't think anyone under 30 years old remembers the whole 'memory' effect and charging games of the older batteries.

I agree that much of the 40+ crowd (people more likely to be buying the Model S) would likely listen to what Consumer Reports says, even if they don't subscribe to the magazine so a positive review certainly wouldn't hurt.

Omg.. Growing up my father was a sheet metal contractor and I would work for him all the time as a teenager. He was uber militant about discharging batteries from our power tools after each use, and actually built and attempted to patent a device to plug all of the companies batteries into at the end of the day to discharge them.

To this very day I still have an almost uncontrollable urge to discharge my iPhone or other devices before I charge them. It literally seems unnatural to me.

A "genius" at the apple store gave this same advice to my MIL for her MacBook,and he was just a youngster. Tough meme to break.

A "genius" at the apple store gave this same advice to my MIL for her MacBook,and he was just a youngster. Tough meme to break.

There is still some benefit to doing this for Li-ion cells is consumer electronic devices. It isn't for the battery, but the battery level calculation in the device. The device gets a much better (and faster) baseline to rate percent battery left in the device.

There is still some benefit to doing this for Li-ion cells is consumer electronic devices. It isn't for the battery, but the battery level calculation in the device. The device gets a much better (and faster) baseline to rate percent battery left in the device.
+1. Apple calls this "battery conditioning". They have you fully discharge the device, let it sit for several hours, and then fully charge it. May also be their way of forcing cell balancing too.

It's also been recommended by Tesla for Roadsters that have packs that are out of balance. Not a discharge to 0 and let it sit, but a deep cycle nonetheless.

i HATE Consumer Reports.

i truly truly do.

F Consumer Reports...

I think CS is the best source for auto reviews. They do in-depth, detailed reviews - especially with used cars. Their safety testing is top notch. I've always bought CR rec cars and never regretted it. If you love super pricey, low value cars that look great and are often in the shop, you probably aren't gonna like CR telling you are a dumbass.