Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 wall plug issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone may have a solution to this instead of full replacement of wall charger

I have a generation 2 telsa wall charger that connects to a 2021 model s plaid

Recently it has been displaying an error
- Charging equipment not recognized
CP_a004

- Unable to charge
BMS_a174

I made a service appointment for Tesla to take a look at the car they said
Charged it on Gen 3 wall plug outside and accepted charge - operational
Then they tried my mobile charger that I had in the trunk and that also worked

I tried cleaning the contacts and resetting the car and the wall plug to no avail

I found out today when I keep pressing the wand button down it actually allows me to press start charging on the screen in the car as I have it set up for scheduled charge at a certain time
But then it says charging cable not fully secured

if anyone has any ideas would love to hear them
Seems to me its some type of sensor in the wand that’s faulty
Be a shame to throw away a full charger for a faulty sensor that might be able to be repaired.. 🤷‍♂️

I am starting to see this very same error on my 23 MXP as well today for the first time at home. It also failed to charge at the supercharger as well. After I got home, I rebooted the car. So far I have not seen the issue anymore. Prior to that, I also noticed it failed to charge at supercharger few days before. I moved to a different stall then it worked. I figured there was issue with the stall. I might need to pay attention a little bit more. I don’t want to be stranded out and about where I am not able to charge.

It would be nice to know if anyone else experiencing the issue. The error code is: CP_a004. Charging equipment not reconized.

Not sure if this is coincidence: I started to see the issue after this SW update 44.30.8

To the OP, first of all it’s not wall charger that you have mounted on the wall. It‘s high power wall connector (HPWC) as you carry your charger with your car every day, they install it from the factory. Secondly, try to charge without your scheduled setup and see if the car allows that connector to be used? If it’s OK, then you can set new scheduled settings and see how it’s doing.

I made a service appointment for Tesla to take a look at the car they said
Charged it on Gen 3 wall plug outside and accepted charge - operational
Then they tried my mobile charger that I had in the trunk and that also worked

This was the right thing to do! Since Tesla demonstrated the car will charge using another wall connector and using your mobile connector, the problem is not the car.

I would try this before ordering a new unit:

Turn off the power and open the wall connector unit. Look at every connection, does everything look clean, are there any brown or black spots anywhere, especially on connections? If you see some on connections, and even if you do not, tighten everything. But if you see issues elsewhere within the unit I would suggest you consider leaving the power off and replacing the unit.