Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in the rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious about lightning storms, eg. when plugged in at home, is there an instinct to run and unplug from the grid ?

I did this before owning an EV, but the same logic applies. There are other things in the house that I cannot simply unplug in an electrical storm - dryer, oven, refrigerator, HVAC, etc. Because of this, I had a local electrical company install a whole-house surge protector for US$125. Peace of mind that it would sacrifice itself before my heat pump gets fried!

Yet the actual outside shape and design of the plastic connector head is practically identical... for instance the Supercharger connector does not have an extra o-ring or seal on the outside. Yet the HPWC warns against allowing rainwater to "run along the length of cable and wet the ...charging port." and the Superchargers do not.

It's probably a liability thing.

Tesla can't be certain or responsible for the condition of a customer's charging equipment. Damaged wires, cracked casing, insulation, etc. However, they are most likely liable for any electrocution hazards relating to the supercharger system. And they will likely be performing regular inspections on such a system. So the water disclaimer might be relevant there. Perhaps they don't want it to be construed as a disclaimer.

I'm not a lawyer, though.

As I have a curbside charging station I'm always plugged in outdoors when I'm at home. I have no fear -- there have been times when everything is nearly swimming in water. My electrician said there is no risk of a shock if I don't do something stupid like stick my finger in the outlet:)

Electrocution isn't the worry, it's lightning hitting a power pole down the street and frying things. Although I have a whole house protector, I doubt it would stand up to a nearby lightning strike. It would stand up to a car hitting a power pole and causing a surge.

I was told by Tesla that the cars are pretty well protected from Lightning, although I suspect a direct strike would be unhealthy for the charging system. As for charging in the rain- like others have said, it's safe. as far as I can tell, current doesn't flow until the handshake completes. and the connectors are pretty well insulated. I also had the same thought as others, " thats a lot of current flowing through that cable and I'm reaching out to unplug it... hmm" I know it shuts the current down before it releases the handle, but it was scary the first time.

True, but it's obvious that the 14-50 side will be far more sensitive to rain than the charge port location. What's needed is a cover for the charge port and handle.

The OP was asking about Supercharging in the rain, and superchargers have no "outlet side" connection. They are hardwired, much as a HPWC is, thus the concern for either would be at the charge-port end. Hence my comments regarding the guidance from Tesla on such.

That having been said: I agree with you, I'd also share concern about handling any live outlet, especially a non-GFCI-protected one, in the rain... however that wasn't the premise of this thread.

The OP was asking about Supercharging in the rain, and superchargers have no "outlet side" connection. They are hardwired, much as a HPWC is, thus the concern for either would be at the charge-port end. Hence my comments regarding the guidance from Tesla on such.

Agreed, but that was answered in the first few posts of the thread, the thread has veered somewhat off-topic :)

I believe that's incorrect. Look at the exact quote I copied from the HPWC manual:

Look at the parts I bolded. They discuss both the outlet (i.e. the 14-50) as well as the charging port,

I was referring to risk of electrocution when plugging in. The charge port end is not energized until the handshake, so there is no risk of electrocution if plugging into the car in the rain. But yes, you don't want the cable to slope downward toward the car in the outdoors (perhaps from a hanging UMC cable) because water will run down the cord and into the charge port.

I occurs to me that when I started this thread I left off part of the thing that got me thinking about electricity and water.

Several years ago I worked at the late, great Hansen Planetarium in Salt Lake. We had a program there called the ZAP Show. Part of the program had me and other staffers standing bare foot on a water covered aluminum plate which was hooked to a power source which supplied over 2 million volts of electricity (at very, very low amperage). When the thing was energized mini bolts of "lightning" would shoot out of whatever body part was highest (usually fingers from hands held overhead though one guy would tip his head back and the bolts would shoot off his tongue).

The device supplying the power was (wait for it)... a *Tesla" coil. :)

I occurs to me that when I started this thread I left off part of the thing that got me thinking about electricity and water.

Several years ago I worked at the late, great Hansen Planetarium in Salt Lake. We had a program there called the ZAP Show. Part of the program had me and other staffers standing bare foot on a water covered aluminum plate which was hooked to a power source which supplied over 2 million volts of electricity (at very, very low amperage). When the thing was energized mini bolts of "lightning" would shoot out of whatever body part was highest (usually fingers from hands held overhead though one guy would tip his head back and the bolts would shoot off his tongue).

The device supplying the power was (wait for it)... a *Tesla" coil. :)
The Faraday cage demonstration at the Boston Museum of Science is always fun:

Speaking of which, how about an electric version of the 1812 Overture:

Last edited by a moderator: