Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 hv battery issue Looking for Advice [salvage vehicle]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a salvaged 22 M3 about 5 months ago and it was working great. It said it was under warranty and I was supercharging until I went to file a warranty claim for the taillight having starting to build up some condensation. Then I was informed I didn’t have a warranty due to the salvage title and taken off the supercharger network. It’s been a learning experience. Anyways the vehicle has been working great up till about a few weeks ago I was driving in the rain and it threw an error to service the vehicle something about it may not restart. So I pulled over and called Tesla support. They had me do full restart and it started to throw high voltage errors and they told me to bring it into the service center. I had it towed there and they of course want to have an inspection performed to work on it etc. Eventually they told me the battery pack has to be replaced although it’s been holding and charging great. I asked for details and they said it has an internal isolation issue. Says there is a lack of insulation to the ground (isolation) in one of the high voltage components. Therefore the reason the battery pack should be replaced. I’m curious what the community thinks about this and any other questions I should ask the service center about. Is it worth purchasing a used pack to replace the failed component or save up to replace the battery pack new(super expensive). Was quoted almost 16,000 to replace fix and perform the certification and insurance won’t cover stating due to salvage title.

You buy a salvage vehicle at your own risk. Tesla will not allow a salvage vehicle to charge on their network to protect their network from damage. They require a full system inspection, at your expense, before allowing you to charge.

It sounds like your battery was marginal and eventually started throwing alerts.

its a 2022------not sure what a salvage vehicle is, but does it not still have warrenty being a 2022 ?
Salvage means it was in an accident and totaled (deemed unfixable due to cost of the repairs compared to the value of the vehicle). The cause of the damage is not always apparent but people buy salvage vehicles that have been repaired at deep discounts — discounted mainly because banks will not do loans for salvage vehicles. You run a very high risk of the car being improperly repaired or damage remaining un repaired because the car would drive without a the repair being done but the damaged part will prematurely fail due to the damage. As this person is experiencing.