Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Hotels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rob, you are so right. Just a few phone calls, some luck and time is all that it takes.
I would hope that someone would organize a mailing campaign to B&B's and desireable hotels in a region of interest and send out a request to electrify, along with useful information on what's involved. No more than 1 page, front and back, with pointers to useful information and followup facts.
Sadly, this sounds like that might be a job for bigger organizations, especially if it got any more extravagent. With a typical success rate of 5% it might take a while tho.
-R

After calling numerous hotels and sending e-mails, I've come to the conclusion that a "bigger organization" should be working on our behalf to help get EV chargers installed at hotels. AAA would be my first pick because of their size and power. Other organizations may include the much smaller Electric Auto Association and Electric Drive Transportation Association. I'm hopeful that Tesla can work with AAA to promote EV charging at hotels.

After calling numerous hotels and sending e-mails, I've come to the conclusion that a "bigger organization" should be working on our behalf to help get EV chargers installed at hotels. AAA would be my first pick because of their size and power. Other organizations may include the much smaller Electric Auto Association and Electric Drive Transportation Association. I'm hopeful that Tesla can work with AAA to promote EV charging at hotels.

I think it would be great to have larger organizations pushing the EV agenda with hotels, motels and resorts but don't discount the power of the individual consumer. If the the hotel workers hear "sorry, no charger, I'll look elsewhere" enough, that will spur more action than something like AAA telling management how to run their business. This is because management is very sensitive to lost sales and are always looking for any way to make themselves stand out from the competition.

Yes, I know how it feels to make a number of hotel calls and get anything from confusion to indifference to outright hostility. But we all need to keep at it. If AAA had an EV touring campaign, it would still take us owners to reinforce the message "no charger, no stay".

I don't really see AAA wanting to encourage EVs. AAA is about cars breaking down and EVs will not break down much.

I think it would be great to have larger organizations pushing the EV agenda with hotels, motels and resorts but don't discount the power of the individual consumer.

Right. A B&B that I stay at put in a 14-50 because I asked. My guess is that you'll have better luck and sooner at B&Bs and one-off hotels/motels than you will have at chains because it will take a long time and many consumer complaints to get past the first layer of management. B&Bs have a much better atmosphere than hotel chains anyway--unless you are a celebrity.

Tesla may be that "bigger organization." A Boston-area Tesla owner posted this:
I mentioned efforts to lobby hotels, ski areas and towns in VT, NH and the cape, so they added this paragraph as well:

We very much appreciate your (and the greater New England customer base’s) support of Tesla and the Supercharger network. We have recently begun a new initiative to spread Level 2 charging to ‘destination’ locations like the resorts and hotels that you mentioned. If you have any specific suggestions, please email this new team at [email protected].

Thanks again,
Tesla Supercharger Team

Suggest we all do some more emailing, sharing our favorite destinations.

I think it's great Tesla is doing something here.

But, private groups are actually making headway. In Washington State there is a non-profit call Plug-In North Central Washington that is working to get chargers (Clippercreek 90s, no less) in a number of places. Forum member JackA is leading this push. They have been successful in getting EVSEs at a number of resorts and inns. For example, the well respected Mazama Country Inn in the Methow Valley has one of their chargers. I reached out to the owner to encourage him to do it and will be staying they sometime because of it. They like it so much they are installing a couple of NEMA 14-50s as well. PI-NCW also got the city of Chelan (a summer destination area) to install a CC90 and now the city council has voted to purchase 2 more. With all the CC90s they have gotten installed, the area is primed to be an EV touring hot spot.

So, Jerry is right, small places where you can speak to the owner are more likely to do something. This is part of a bootstrap process. Once the bigger outfits see the little guys getting business because of a charger, they will jump in.

Stanford Inn by the Sea in Mendocino CA has two J1772 ports. Great place to stay.
Maiden Voyage: North Bay to Stanford Inn in Mendocino. GREAT TRIP! Beautiful roads.

attachment.php?attachmentid=32494&d=1381121344.jpg

I think it's great Tesla is doing something here.

But, private groups are actually making headway. In Washington State there is a non-profit call Plug-In North Central Washington that is working to get chargers (Clippercreek 90s, no less) in a number of places. Forum member JackA is leading this push. They have been successful in getting EVSEs at a number of resorts and inns. For example, the well respected Mazama Country Inn in the Methow Valley has one of their chargers. I reached out to the owner to encourage him to do it and will be staying they sometime because of it. They like it so much they are installing a couple of NEMA 14-50s as well. PI-NCW also got the city of Chelan (a summer destination area) to install a CC90 and now the city council has voted to purchase 2 more. With all the CC90s they have gotten installed, the area is primed to be an EV touring hot spot.

So, Jerry is right, small places where you can speak to the owner are more likely to do something. This is part of a bootstrap process. Once the bigger outfits see the little guys getting business because of a charger, they will jump in.

Here is a good link to pass on to hotels, etc: Destination Charging. It lets them apply for a free HPWC if they install it.

Tesla is working with hotels, resorts, and other destinations to encourage the installation of High Power Wall Connectors where our customers spend time away from home. Offering charging is a great way to encourage Tesla owners to visit your business.

If your organization is willing to install Tesla charging in a prominent location at a destination property, Tesla may be willing to provide free or discounted High Power Wall Connectors for customer use.

Please fill in the form below if this is something that your organization is willing to pursue. If the proposed site is a good fit, Tesla will reach out to discuss your options.​

Map of hotels/motels with charging.

Guys as a new member I may have missed this but are there apps for iOS / Android that showcase hotels that offer charging?
I use
http://dcubed.com/evmap
It is a Google map with flags for motels and hotels with charging. It now has over 100 locations. All locations are on Recargo where you can get more details of the motel/hotel and their charging.
I also encourage readers of this thread to post their favorite locations on this map. If it doesn't have a Recargo listing, you need to add that first.

Charging through the window

There are often several ways to get some charge at a motel that does not have explicit charging facilities. I am not advocating trying any of these without explicit permission. You won't fill a MS 85 all the way up, but overnight you will get a partial charge that could save you 4-6 hours of charging at an RV park.

1. Dryer outlets. Last year there were several folks who posted reports of successfully charging using the motel's dryer outlets. I myself have not found any motels where this would be acceptable, certainly not for all night. Some dryers are dedicated to guests, who might want to do loads late at night. Some dryers run on gas. Sometimes the heavy-duty dryers used by the maids are hardwired, or share spaces with offices that cannot be left open all night.

2. Charge using the outlets in your motel room.
120V at 12A is always available, but of course this is very slow. I plan to be at this motel 13-14 hours, but 14 kWh's is not a lot.

One might find two outlets on different phases that can be combined with a Quick220 box to get 208V, but I have tried this at several motels without success. Some of the outlets for the TV or refrigerator are inaccessible, and the ones in the bathroom have GFI which is incompatible with Quick220. The lamp outlets often seem to share a circuit.

Many rooms have a 208V outlet for the heat pump A/C.
This is the method I am going to try on an upcoming trip to an area not near an operating Supercharger.
Here are my preparations, in case this might work for someone else.

Checking Street View on maps.google, I discovered that the motel I will be using has an image trail right into a room. Place the Street View icon right in front of the entrance to the motel, and look for a double-arrow pointing into the parking area. Here are 2 photos from this image trail.

BrawleyInn1.jpg

BrawleyInn2.jpg

In the first photo you can see that the heat pump uses an outlet, not hardwired. This style of motel heat pump can use 6-15, 6-20, or 6-30 outlets. 6-20 seems the most popular in California.

The second photo shows that this motel has windows through which one can run a cable to my car. It took several phone calls, but I eventually got permission from the owner to do this. He asked whether I would be cold at this time of year with the window open, and I replied that I will fill the 1/2" opening in the window with foam weatherstripping.

I have the Tesla 30A adapter plug, along with adapters first to L6-30, then to L6-20, and then to either 6-15 or 6-20. The 6-15 plug will fit an 6-20 outlet, but not the other way around. Of course I must be very careful to set the car's charge current to no more that 16A if the outlet is a 6-20, or 12A if it is a 6-15. Most likely I will have a 6-20, which will allow 16A, 3 kW.

I have a mat to cover the cable as it runs across the walkway from the window to the parking. I have added firm foam inserts under this mat to form a channel that protects the cable and provides a firm footing.

3 kW * 14 hours is at least 40 kWhs.
Wish me luck. I will post pictures.

I have the Tesla 30A adapter plug, along with adapters first to L6-30, then to L6-20, and then to either 6-15 or 6-20. The 6-15 plug will fit an 6-20 outlet, but not the other way around. Of course I must be very careful to set the car's charge current to no more that 16A if the outlet is a 6-20, or 12A if it is a 6-15. Most likely I will have a 6-20, which will allow 16A, 3 kW.

With the current v5.8 firmware, Model S is a bit picky with power sources. If the car detects some voltage fluctuations, it will change the charge current to 75% of nominal rate. When using the Tesla 30A plug, this means it will drop from 24A to 16A. It will go to 16A even if you selected 12A as the charge current. Yes, this is a bug.
So you might overload wiring or the socket, or blow a fuse when charging on a 6-15.

With the current v5.8 firmware, Model S is a bit picky with power sources. If the car detects some voltage fluctuations, it will change the charge current to 75% of nominal rate. When using the Tesla 30A plug, this means it will drop from 24A to 16A. It will go to 16A even if you selected 12A as the charge current. Yes, this is a bug.
So you might overload wiring or the socket, or blow a fuse when charging on a 6-15.
For what its worth this morning I was at a service center to have a minor issue taken care of. As is the normal procedure they also applied a firmware upgrade as well as other service bulletins. Of course I don't know precisely what the firmware corrected, but the paperwork said: "Concern: Firmware Update for Automatic Charge Current Reduction". So its likely that Tesla tweaked this feature.

The firmware is V5.8.7 (1.49.84). (No they don't have V6.0 yet.)

Larry

Yes, I saw this firmware change come in last month. Thanks for your warning of this bug. In my opinion the worst that would happen is that the circuit breaker would trip. A/C units can have high transient currents at startup, so I would expect it would be a 20A circuit and breaker, even if the outlet is 6-15. Hopefully it will be a 6-20 outlet to be sure.

I have charged in my garage many nights since the firmware change with the 30A adapter and the current set to 12A without a problem.

Has anyone else received the bug fix reported by Larry Chanin?
"Concern: Firmware Update for Automatic Charge Current Reduction". So its likely that Tesla tweaked this feature.
The firmware is V5.8.7 (1.49.84)

Last edited:

I called Tesla Ownership about this concern, who forwarded the call to my Tesla Service Center in Costa Mesa. I explained this concern again, and the lady emailed the engineering team at the factory. The next day she called back, and she reported that they told her the firmware I and everyone else already have, which is described as lowering the current 25% from the maximum if fluctuations are detected, will NOT raise the current above any setting lower than 75% of maximum that you have entered.

I realize that this conflicts with what you are reported, but I am confident that the person taking my report understood the concern so I am trusting her answer.

There have been multiple maintenance releases. The bug as described existed. It's since been fixed. Also, the statement "... The firmware I and everyone else already have..." is also false. Many of us are still running 5.6. There are even some with 4.5.

Charging through the window successful

This past weekend I successfully charged at a motel using a cable through the window as described on the previous page. I had permission from the motel's owner to remove the screen, run the cable from my room's A/C 208V outlet through the window, across the walkway to my parked car, as shown below. It was dark and I was rushed; please excuse the slow shutter speed.

I had a small mat to lay over the cable, with firm foam inserts to form a channel to protect the cable. I use cable with L6-20 connectors, which is quite a bit smaller than the 40A cable used in the portable EVSE. This allows a smaller gap in the window and a smaller rise in the mat. I had plenty of L6-20 cable to put the adapters and EVSE box in the back seat as shown.

IMG_3776-M.jpg

As planned, I used layers of weatherstripping to seal the gap in the window around the cable.
IMG_3775-M.jpg

The outlet proved to be a 6-20, so I set the car to charge at 15A. If the outlet had been a 6-15, I would have set the charge current to 12A. I had no problems with current fluctuations. The charge required about 8 hours to replace the charge from the previous night. This timing meant that I could run the A/C in the early evening to cool down the room before I started the charge and went to bed. The daytime temperature peaked at about 87, but the late night temperature was below 60.

I have adapters for 6-15, 6-20, and 6-30. A 6-20p is not really necessary, because a 6-15p will fit a 6-20r.

One complication of this strategy is the necessity of being able to park your car near your ground-floor room. I made sure to arrive at the motel about 4:30pm, while parking was plentiful, but guests were checking in in a steady stream. It took some time and coordination with the front desk to find a room with free parking. Later that night as the motel filled this would not have been possible.

In the morning I had time to check the room's Quick220 possibilities. Unlike some other motels I have tried, this one had accessible outlets for both the TV and refrigerator. My Quick220 detection meter verified that they happened to be on separate phases:

Quick220Brawley-M.jpg

This meant I could have charged the car through the Quick220 at 12A for several hours while simultaneously running the A/C on its own 6-20r, but the night before I was very happy to have found a working solution, I was too tired to try this one, and I didn't need the extra charge time.

I would like to thank abasile, who posts in this forum and the MyNissanLeaf forum, for his advice and encouragement. Several years ago he reported successfully charging his LEAF at a motel using this cable-through-the window method.

I would like to thank abasile, who posts in this forum and the MyNissanLeaf forum, for his advice and encouragement. Several years ago he reported successfully charging his LEAF at a motel using this cable-through-the window method.
You are more than welcome. It does take a bit of extra effort to make this work, but being able to use an EV rather than an ICE for the trip makes it all worth it. :)

Of course, being resourceful about charging at a motel also sends a very concrete and visible message that there is demand for EV charging out there. Perhaps one day the motel's management will install a J-1772 (or HPWC).