Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Celebrities with Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leo Laporte, a somewhat well known Tech Journalist, has a Model X on order. I happened to meet him this summer before he put in the order of the X. He was negative of the Model S at the time... surprisingly because as a Tech guy, he typically is all over any kind of new tech. His issues with the S were typical of the general public... only good in cities, no good in the winter (not a concern for him, but since I was from Canada, he mentioned it), range anxiety.
A friend of his, I think the name is Jason Calacanis, who is a bit of a Tesla fan boy, did some convincing, and as a result, Leo put a deposit down on the X.

On one of his shows recently, he was pretty negative towards Tesla and the Model X...
A couple of time stamps where Tesla is discussed:
14:20, he talks about maybe getting a Ford GT instead of the X
14:35 it is discussed that Tesla might not have enough processing power behind their cars (slow map loading is mentioned)
17:05 Leo thinks a Bolt may be a better car than the X (and he isn't worried about price, obviously it is fair to say it is a more affordable electric car option, but that isn't Leo's issue/concern)
18:33 Leo says he'll give Tesla the deposit back to instead get a Bolt
19:25 Discussion around supercharging, and local charging.

Anyway, thought this might be of interest to some. I'm a bit worried that if he does get the X, he may be the type to find things wrong with it, and not be shy about publicizing the issues (even if they are much ado about nothing... if he has real significant issues, go ahead and talk about them, but hopefully he doesn't make a big deal about, I don't know, the falcon doors closing at different speeds). If any Model X owners are around the Petaluma area, I'm sure he would be interested in meeting up to see if the car is right for him in advance or not...

Last edited by a moderator:
Came across this on Reddit, seems like Amanda Seyfried is now a Model X owner. She posted this on Instagram:

Screenshot_20160113-114603.png

Instagram

Leo Laporte, a somewhat well known Tech Journalist, has a Model X on order. I happened to meet him this summer before he put in the order of the X. He was negative of the Model S at the time... surprisingly because as a Tech guy, he typically is all over any kind of new tech. His issues with the S were typical of the general public... only good in cities, no good in the winter (not a concern for him, but since I was from Canada, he mentioned it), range anxiety.
A friend of his, I think the name is Jason Calacanis, who is a bit of a Tesla fan boy, did some convincing, and as a result, Leo put a deposit down on the X.

On one of his shows recently, he was pretty negative towards Tesla and the Model X...
A couple of time stamps where Tesla is discussed:
14:20, he talks about maybe getting a Ford GT instead of the X
14:35 it is discussed that Tesla might not have enough processing power behind their cars (slow map loading is mentioned)
17:05 Leo thinks a Bolt may be a better car than the X (and he isn't worried about price, obviously it is fair to say it is a more affordable electric car option, but that isn't Leo's issue/concern)
18:33 Leo says he'll give Tesla the deposit back to instead get a Bolt
19:25 Discussion around supercharging, and local charging.

Anyway, thought this might be of interest to some. I'm a bit worried that if he does get the X, he may be the type to find things wrong with it, and not be shy about publicizing the issues (even if they are much ado about nothing... if he has real significant issues, go ahead and talk about them, but hopefully he doesn't make a big deal about, I don't know, the falcon doors closing at different speeds). If any Model X owners are around the Petaluma area, I'm sure he would be interested in meeting up to see if the car is right for him in advance or not...

Sounds like Leo. I have been done with him for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did notice that the FWD had a problem opening the first time. It started and stopped.

My left door does exactly the same thing. I have to override open about half the time. I guess too sensitive is better than not sensitive enough. This may also be a software tweak needed or in work to improve the initial open. Minor problem and an override is pretty easy.

- - - Updated - - -

Saw that too. I chalked it up to user error, i.e. person doing the reveal clicked a few too many times on the fob. I accidentally do that to my garage door sometimes also. That's the optimist in me speaking.... ;)

I think we will go thru a few service notices and software tweaks as more is learned about the doors. I have been holding off taking mine in for adjustment with the idea maybe the Service Center need more time to learn all the repair tricks.

Many off off us went thru the same evolution with early Model S pano roofs.