Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS adapter retrofit now available for Model 3 & Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, I don't remember your car getting a $350 discount when they didn't install this to begin with... as someone who got this from the factory at no extra cost I think it should be a no cost upgrade for those that missed out.
It wasn't a feature back when they bought their vehicle... And the discount would only be $100, as $250 of the $350 is for the CCS adapter that doesn't come with any Tesla from the factory.

So anytime Tesla every adds anything to a vehicle in the future you think all past purchasers should get a retrofit for free?

It wasn't a feature back when they bought their vehicle... And the discount would only be $100, as $250 of the $350 is for the CCS adapter that doesn't come with any Tesla from the factory.

So anytime Tesla every adds anything to a vehicle in the future you think all past purchasers should get a retrofit for free?

Nope, I didn't realize you were a 2018 until I re-read your post after your reply, my bad!

Do the cars that were in the gap after it became available but they didn't get it due to parts availability get the upgrade for free?

Keith

So, even though it was installed equipment when I purchased my car, and for the people after the gap, it was not a "feature" so they are not giving it for free to the people in the gap?

Interesting,

Keith

Unless it was an identified feature of the car, the purchaser is not entitled to it for free.

FWIW, Tesla does have a track record of delivering free on things that were mentioned as part of a vehicle but not available (except for FSD, I am not talking about that, and please no one turn the discussion to that, every thread doesnt have to revolve around FSD).

In 2018 when I bought my model 3 Performance, it "came with" a rear spoiler, as well as specific badging (what ended up being the dual motor badge with red underline) but neither of those things existed. I bought the car in Dec 2018, the spoiler wasnt available for me until mid 2019 sometime, and same with the car badging.

Both of those things were given to me with no cost (as they were included in the purchase). I also earned a referral credit of Tesla OEM zero G wheels, which took over a year to deliver to me because they didnt exist when I earned that referral credit. I did get them though, a full set of rims, tires, TPMS and installation, for no charge.

No one in the US was promised that "CCS compatibility" was a component of the vehicle anywhere, so whether it was "on there" or not, it was not a promised component, so would not be "entitled" for free. Now, I get that someone might be mad if their car didnt come with it, when some others did around the same point.

That EXACT thing happened around the Hardware 3.0 computer for model 3s, which was swapped over to by Tesla around april of 2019. A lot of people held off on ordering the car even though they were not going to buy FSD because they wanted "the new computer". When HW3 was officially launched, everyone that bought FSD at the time of the new computer (model 3s I am talking about ) got it for free. However, people who DID NOT order FSD might or might not have gotten the new computer, and it was somewhat a crapshoot for a few months until Tesla ran out of hardware 2.5 computers.

I remember much "gnashing of teeth" but chalked it up to more "Tesla owner entitlement" which has borne itself out over the years as I find more "entitled" Tesla owners than any other brand (note this is specifically Tesla model 3 and Y, not sure about model S as I dont follow those forums), Not sure why all those people who didnt buy FSD but bought the car, which did not specify which version of the computer it would come with expected to get it, but they did, and man did some people @#!$!@$! about it.

My straightforward analogy on that is if one day a place is throwing in a free chocolate chip cookie with the combo meals. And then when someone comes in on another day, the place isn't giving those freebie extras, and the customer throws a fit because they feel they are "owed" that cookie because it was given to other people, even though the combo meals are not supposed to include a cookie.

Hmmm, I don't remember your car getting a $350 discount when they didn't install this to begin with... as someone who got this from the factory at no extra cost I think it should be a no cost upgrade for those that missed out. Of course, you should still pay for the adapter itself like the rest of us.

Agreed that the ECU board swap should have been at no charge at my late-2021 MYLR. But Tesla disagrees - and they set the pricing.

Tesla Service is now telling me they do not offer the retro fit on the model 3. Only model S/x currently.
1000013021.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
Tesla Service is now telling me they do not offer the retro fit on the model 3. Only model S/x currently.View attachment 1045065

They told me that too, and that was after multiple people here got it. I ended up canceling the request, and re submitting it, and the second person ended up putting it through for me.

I posted about it here somewhere, but in a nutshell, this is sort of "typical tesla" heh...

They told me that too, and that was after multiple people here got it. I ended up canceling the request, and re submitting it, and the second person ended up putting it through for me.

I posted about it here somewhere, but in a nutshell, this is sort of "typical tesla" heh...
Did you order the adaptor then schedule? I just ordered it but it only charged me $250 for it.

Did you order the adaptor then schedule? I just ordered it but it only charged me $250 for it.

No, I actually did it via the service request, the first time the person told me "not available for model 3" I said "I believe it is, here is the part number for my car (obtained from a TMC thread), they replied "not available for model 3". i said ok, I will close the request then, and closed the request.

About an hour later, I opened up another request, for the same thing, they replied and said "I dont think its available for model 3". I said, "I believe it is, here is the part number" they replied "part number added, thanks for providing it!".

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
No, I actually did it via the service request, the first time the person told me "not available for model 3" I said "I believe it is, here is the part number for my car (obtained from a TMC thread), they replied "not available for model 3". i said ok, I will close the request then, and closed the request.

About an hour later, I opened up another request, for the same thing, they replied and said "I dont think its available for model 3". I said, "I believe it is, here is the part number" they replied "part number added, thanks for providing it!".
So you didn't have to order the adaptor at all? They provided it all at the service appointment?

Tesla service is now telling me I just order the adaptor and receive it before they will even schedule the retrofit.

Also, did you provide the part number mentioned above?

Each time I add the CCS retrofit as a concern to my visit, it doesn't add.

So you didn't have to order the adaptor at all? They provided it all at the service appointment?
Yes. The retrofit box they use contains the charge port ECU they have to install in your car as well as the CCS1 adapter that they give to you to use. (Unless something has changed in the last week or two.)

That is because the site won't let you order the adapter until your car is compatible with it. (i.e. after the retrofit.)

Tesla service is now telling me I just order the adaptor and receive it before they will even schedule the retrofit.

Also, did you provide the part number mentioned above?

Each time I add the CCS retrofit as a concern to my visit, it doesn't add.

I think it would be easier for you to see what I said when I was in the middle of it. You can search this thread for posts by me:

There are 3 posts by me in that thread, and they describe what happened to me.

My only issue is I can't get to scheduling a service appointment for just the retrofit. It removes it from the concerns list immediately and only leaves checking tire pressure. I get an immediate error when trying to finalize it. At this point I've ordered the adaptor itself and awaiting them to confirm they will do the retrofit.