Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 chademo adapter ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing as Tesla seems to have dropped the idea of retrofitting model 3 and Y for CCS, I’m begrudgingly looking for a chademo adapter as I’m heading to area without superchargers but it seems Tesla states the one they sell won’t work for model 3 (pulling up the product page does the same redirect the ccs retrofit does - starts loading a product page and kicks me out). I’ve used a borrowed chademo adapter before so I’m wondering if there are different “generations” of these adapters.

Tesla doesn't sell the chademo adapter anymore. When the 3 first came out it didn't support the Chademo adapter but a subsequent car firmware update enenabled it. I have one of the first adapters sold (before 3 came out) and it works on my 3.
Thanks. I thought I had read they didn’t sell it anymore as well but then I stumbled on this. If I’m logged-in to my account the web page sends me to the Tesla app’s shop and then (I presume because they deem it not compatible with model 3/y the app reverts to the Tesla shop landing page).
If I use a browser that’s not logged in to Tesla I see they state it’s not supported. Sounds like that might be new ?

Thanks. I thought I had read they didn’t sell it anymore as well but then I stumbled on this. If I’m logged-in to my account the web page sends me to the Tesla app’s shop and then (I presume because they deem it not compatible with model 3/y the app reverts to the Tesla shop landing page).
If I use a browser that’s not logged in to Tesla I see they state it’s not supported. Sounds like that might be new ?
That's the web page for the Australian shop, when I attempted to order it wouldn't let me ship to a US address. Unless there's something different about Australia firmware or Chademo implementation, I dont see why it wouldn't work on a 3 since the change enabling it's use in the US was made to the car side, not the adapter.

Seeing as Tesla seems to have dropped the idea of retrofitting model 3 and Y for CCS,
"Seeing as" that's a false statement, don't rely on it for decision making. They haven't dropped it. They are just late, like they are on most things.

I thought I had read they didn’t sell it anymore as well but then I stumbled on this.
That's the web page for the Australian shop, when I attempted to order it wouldn't let me ship to a US address. Unless there's something different about Australia firmware or Chademo implementation, I dont see why it wouldn't work on a 3
If that's the one from Australia, then it definitely just won't physically fit @Allx 's United States type Model 3. The plug shapes are different on the two different versions of the CHAdeMO adapter. Tesla made a North American version of CHAdeMO adapter that has the Tesla proprietary plug shape on it. And then they also make a different version for the Europe and Australia kinds of markets that has the Type2 plug (Mennekes) on it. That won't fit into your car's charge port.

When the 3 first came out it didn't support the Chademo adapter but a subsequent car firmware update enenabled it.
Yes, this was very much a thing. When the Model 3 came out, it didn't have software support to be able to use the CHAdeMO adapter, and it took about a year or so for them to finally get that updated into their software, so at this point, they all should be fine to use it.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
If that's the one from Australia, then it definitely just won't physically fit @Allx 's United States type Model 3. The plug shapes are different on the two different versions of the CHAdeMO adapter. Tesla made a North American version of CHAdeMO adapter that has the Tesla proprietary plug shape on it. And then they also make a different version for the Europe and Australia kinds of markets that has the Type2 plug (Mennekes) on it. That won't fit into your car's charge port.
DOH! Good catch, while I should have known, I had no idea Australia was a Type 2 country.

"Seeing as" that's a false statement, don't rely on it for decision making. They haven't dropped it. They are just late, like they are on most things.

Yes, this was very much a thing. When the Model 3 came out, it didn't have software support to be able to use the CHAdeMO adapter, and it took about a year or so for them to finally get that updated into their software, so at this point, they all should be fine to use it.
Glad you pointed out the type2 bit. Sounds like I’m better off hunting down a second hand adapter.

You're in better shape shopping 2nd hand for the chademo adapter now. Last year they were selling for $1000-$1200 on ebay even used. At the time I was able to buy mine from South Korea for $350 new (SK uses the same electrical standards as the USA so it works fine on North American Tesla cars, including Model 3).

Checking how shows that 2nd hand on ebay they're selling for $400-$600 so half the cost of last year.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Allx and Rocky_H