Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Show Poster: Draft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the 200 mile charge, to showcase the super chargers, but like you say, perhaps that's deceiving. I didn't think so, at least initially, as many people seldom drain any car down to 0, but more realistically down to 25% or so... making 200 miles seem more real world. Hmmm.
Deceptive is a stronger word than I would use. A little shady maybe, but mainly I just prefer to give people the absolute extremes and then (if appropriate) soften it with "normal user experience".

For example, when people ask about range it often goes like this:
  • "EPA says 265 on a full charge, but I get a bit less than that with how I drive."
    (pause)
  • "How much less?"
  • "Like 220. Some hyper-milers have gotten 400 so YMMV."
  • "Oh, cool."
They walk away satisfied and then curious where they would fit in the efficiency spectrum. At least that's what my imperfect psychic powers are suggesting.

@SCW-Greg

I knew I forgot something.

The "120 kWh" description on the Superchargers is incorrect. It should say "120 kW". Also, you might want to asterisk it since we only have 90 kW available with current firmware.

Well done, Greg! I like it: clean and informative.

More copy editing:

I'd tighten up the Glass Cockpit section, thus: "The 17-inch touchscreen is the car's control center. Tesla updates the software periodically, for free, using built-in cell connectivity: the car's features just get better with time. Tesla's smartphone app allows you to monitor the car's status from anywhere, at any time. The app also gives you remote control over charging, cabin temperature and more."

- in Tesla's parlance it's "Supercharging", not "Super Charging"; "at anytime" should be "at any time".
- how about saying "Start every day with a 'full tank.'" The space between 'every' and 'day' is necessary, too.
- suggest "Save money on maintenance: no oil changes and the drivetrain has only five moving parts." We don't yet know enough to claim 'thousands' of dollars a year.
- under "Where can I charge?" there is an "it's" that should be "its".

Thanks for doing this. I'd love to have a copy when you're ready.

Okay guys... here's the latest update.
NOTE, I'm still struggling with the right verbiage for the charging section. Maybe I should just surrender and just plug the big charge times for 0 to full range (even though most people don't drive/charge that way)? Or do they? How to word this section better?

Other feedback?

Tesla-Model-S-car-show-poster-v3.jpg

You've got room in the transmission section of your table to say "9.37:1," if you'd like. Maybe in parens after "Single speed reduction gearbox"?

Also "haggleing" should be "haggling," near the bottom of the left hand column.

This is really shaping up, Greg. Excellent effort!

May I request that, when you release it, you do so in an easily modifiable format? Many of us would need to change the geographic info, and such.

Thanks!

Good feedback mnx, ilg, Brian and Dave. Thank you!

Your input has definitely helped. I think we're close now. Note, I decided to take out the sales person comment, since I know at least one car sales guy will be there. Don't need to stir up too many bee's nests.

ilg... I've made this file in Adobe Illustrator, and can provide in this format, or other common formats if you would like. I'll post a PDF link to it here this evening (if no other significant changes are suggested).

Tesla-Model-S-car-show-poster-v4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, after printing this out... I think it's a bit overwhelming. I'm contemplating getting rid of the bottom three sections... Service/Warranty, Showroom, and Where can I charge.

Make it shorter, and make it more digestable.

Okay, after printing this out... I think it's a bit overwhelming. I'm contemplating getting rid of the bottom three sections... Service/Warranty, Showroom, and Where can I charge.

Make it shorter, and make it more digestable.

Yes. Agreed. Lose the bottom three. Maybe a comment in the first section saying that Tesla is the first successful American car company in over 50 years. The "glass cockpit" section is describing something that you really need to experience to understand. Maybe do a "notable features" bullet point section like you did for the benefits.

But even as it is - it is outstanding. Well done.

Just had another thought... How about adding some notable YouTube URLs for things like: Watch the Model S beat the BMW M5 in drag race: If you want to know why the Model S won Motor Trends Car of the Year: Etc...

I have only two comments on this.

1. It looks great as is, I wouldn't trim it. Overwhelming is sometimes a good thing. "Wow, I have to think about this some more" is a good reaction -- you're trying to wake up minds to do their own deeper evaluation (and then spread the excitement once it "clicks"), not to make a quick sale.
2. For your first showing, bring a (small) marker and (by hand) put stars next to the ones that people ask you even though it's already on the poster. When you reprint, make minor "highlighting" adjustments to make the star-marked ones more prominent and consider discarding the ones with no star marks. If people notice you doing this, let them provide input on which ones they "didn't ask because your poster told me already" (i.e. viewer participation).

Thanks Todd and Greg. Both your posters look wonderful.

I am doing my first car show (Bridgewater, NJ) this weekend. At Walmart I had printed Todd's 20"x30" ($18.86), and two copies of Greg's at 12"x18" ($8.86 each) and will mount them on cardboard.

Great feedback everybody!

And Dave I've changed to the full rated amps. I agree, more what people will deal with when talking to an electrician, etc.
The 900 lbs seems to be an unfounded discussion point across a couple of threads. Probably the one fact I didn't double check. Is it 1400? Or should I just approximate it to around 1000+ lbs?

EDIT:
Okay I did find some threads where our TMC guys calculated the 18650 cell weight, then added about 300 lbs (for structure and fluids) to get around 1000 lbs. it may actually weigh a few more than this, but I think I'll call it around this number - make it approximate. Lest someone has more definitive numbers.

IN the meantime for those of you who want this draft, here are the links

Dropbox - Tesla-Model-S-car-show-poster-v5.pdf
(Small version for highlighting, cut and pasting, etc. - 186Kb)

Dropbox - Tesla-Model-S-car-show-poster-v5_(PR).pdf
(Press ready version, not editable - 11.1mb)

Note, these are sized to print at 2' x 3' which is pretty huge, at least when looking at it in the home. Probably will feel smaller in a big parking lot. But you could also scale them down to versions smaller... though a 12x18 might be hard to read, unless you're holding it.

Enjoy!

JPG below is 12x18 at 150dpi, saved at level 7 from Photoshop... so not quite print quality, but close.

Tesla-Model-S-car-show-poster-v5.jpg

Last edited: