Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt EV EPA range = 238 miles combined!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure how you calculated that from just knowing EPA MPGe since that includes charging overhead.

I believe EPA assumes a gallon of gas contains 33.705 kWh for calculation purposes.

33.705 / 119 MPGe = 0.283 kWh per mile
0.283 x 238 miles EV range = 67.35 kWh

So, driving 238 miles (per EPA test cycle calculations) would result in an empty battery that would require 67.35 kWh from the wall socket to fully recharge.

Or something like that -- internal rounding calculations ignored etc.

I assumed 86% charging efficacy.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Welp, the wife won't like that... Have been trying to convince her to consider a Bolt. That would be tight with two car seats.

Whelp, it's tons better than the Gen 2 Volt's middle rear seat, that's for sure. The Bolt's backseat is a bench-style seat, so it's pretty much flat all the way across. Lots of vehicles these days have contoured rear seats, which make it a bit difficult for those trying to fit 2/3 carseats in the back.

One of the reviewers that went on the 240 mile media drives with the Bolt said he was 6'5", and even with the driver's seat positioned comfortably, he was able to sit behind the driver's seat with legroom to spare.

It's interesting that, per you photo, prototype given to press can utilize more that it was available during EPA testing.

Is it certain the figure in the image is for net kWh into and out of the battery or is energy stored from regen only counted when it is consumed? I am thinking it is the latter, so when you drain the battery you will normally see more than the utilzable kWh displayed.

Is it certain the figure in the image is for net kWh into and out of the battery or is energy stored from regen only counted when it is consumed? I am thinking it is the latter, so when you drain the battery you will normally see more than the utilzable kWh displayed.

GM vehicles subtract kWh from the display when charge is put back in the battery via regen. I see this daily with my Volts. The 58.7 kWh used figure is the actual (with a small margin for error, as it is an estimate) kWh used AFTER regen is taken into account.

Either system of equations will work if you weight the numbers properly, your numbers were not weighted properly, if you want to check it substitute your calculated range numbers into the equation .55*city +.45*highway and see what you get, it will be close to but not exactly 238.

I rounded to avoid a false appearance of precision in the last post but the correct numbers, assuming unrealistic precision in the given data, are:

Bolt Highway Range = 218.3486miles
Bolt City Range = 254.0784miles

Plug those into the above equation and you will get 238.0000miles

/nerd fight

There's no point plugging numbers into an equation that's wrong.
The two methods end up close because the weight are close and the numbers are close.
In your equation, if you have larger difference in weights and ranges the results become very obviously nonsensical, as I showed with my example.

The interior has less volume than a Nissan Versa Note with similar build quality, performance, and style.

I like that they are doing it, but this is more of a Leaf killer. No way it competes with the model 3, especially when you consider their modules are 50% larger by weight and volume (per kWh). I can't imagine Tesla not blowing this thing away.

The interior has less volume than a Nissan Versa Note with similar build quality, performance, and style.
And limited to about a 85 mile radius from home, and all for the low, low price of $37,500 before tax credits.

Back in the day when GM thought up this thing it no doubt looked competitive in the EV market, but the Model 3 with SuperCharger network has killed it dead before the first one is sold.

And limited to about a 85 mile radius from home, and all for the low, low price of $37,500 before tax credits.

Back in the day when GM thought up this thing it no doubt looked competitive in the EV market, but the Model 3 with SuperCharger network has killed it dead before the first one is sold.

The Model 3, which isn't even close to release yet, has killed the Bolt already. Lol, get real.

Explain the people I've seen who have already cancelled their Model 3 pre-orders stating they will get a Bolt. They obviously haven't been drinking enough Kool-aid.

• Funny
Reactions: AndY1
Explain the people I've seen who have already cancelled their Model 3 pre-orders stating they will get a Bolt.
How many ? two ? ten ?

My prediction: Excluding internal Bolt sales of GM to it's own Lyft subsidiary, GM will never sell more than 5,000 Bolts a year if the transaction price is > $25,000 after credits.
As I said -- still-born.

And you would realize it too, if you left GM fanboy land for 60 seconds. Try this exercise:
Imagine that the cars are switched, so now the Bolt belongs to Tesla and the Model 3 to GM. Everything else remains the same except that GM runs the SuperCharger network exactly as Tesla did until now, and exactly the same expansion and cost plans.

How many ? two ? ten ?

My prediction: Excluding internal Bolt sales of GM to it's own Lyft subsidiary, GM will never sell more than 5,000 Bolts a year if the transaction price is > $25,000 after credits.
As I said -- still-born.

And you would realize it too, if you left GM fanboy land for 60 seconds. Try this exercise:
Imagine that the cars are switched, so now the Bolt belongs to Tesla and the Model 3 to GM. Everything else remains the same except that GM runs the SuperCharger network exactly as Tesla did until now, and exactly the same expansion and cost plans.

You need to get out of Tesla-fanboyland, as you are stuck on Elon's "Extreme Reality Distortion!" ride over there. Stating the Bolt is "still-born" (what is the Model 3 then? A glimmer in Elon's eye?), even after rave reviews from pretty much every major publication out there.

You need to simply accept the fact the Bolt is coming, and coming at least a year ahead of the Model 3, and a decent chunk of people will pick them up...probably as many as GM decides to build. Including a bunch of Model 3 reservation holders....with some abandoning their reservation completely. I've coined that action "Bolting". ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher and Yuri_G

As a Volt owner, a person who likes the Bolt, and someone supportive of GM's electrification efforts in general, would it make you feel better if I told you that I think the Model 3 will far, far outsell the Bolt EV?

You're quite right. The Bolt EV has 94.4 cu ft of passenger volume, the Note has 112.9 cu ft. It might also be worth pointing out that it has more passenger volume than a Model S (93.7 cu ft)

And who here believes the Model 3 will have more interior passenger volume than the Model S? So pretty safe to say the Bolt will beat the Model 3 in that category too.

Reactions: AndY1
Lots of discussion about detail, I just hope the Bolt is successful.
Honestly we wont really know the detail for sure until the public get to driving it around and we get some real world numbers.
I do have some concern where they may have cut costs though, which may take some time to understand.

Nothing better than some competition to drive Tesla onto even greater things.

As time passes and the Gigafactory increases capacity, Tesla will plain and simple be able to provide more batteries for vehicles than anyone else.

That'll be Elon looking at the big picture again

The Bolt will sell, the M3 will sell a helluva load more.